[v1.6.0] MASCHINE PLUS/MK3/MIKRO MK3 Ableton Live 11 MIDI Remote Script

Options

Comments

• brian.tully
    brian.tully Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

Hi @ChannelZ -- I actually purchased a Maschine Mikro Mk3 today in the hopes that I could use it to play drums from the pads rather than my MIDI keyboard. I was just about to purchase the Akai MPD218 when I watched a few videos by finger drummer legend Robert Mathijs and read his gear recommendations (https://questforgroove.com/gear-recommendations/) where he gave the pads on the Mikro Mk3 top marks. While I await the arrival of my Mikro Mk3, I've done some more reading, and was disappointed to learn that out-of-the-box the Mikro Mk3 is not really set up to use as a MIDI controller for finger drumming and that it's really set up to be used with Maschine software (of which I have little interest). I came onto the Community to see if there were any template files that could be imported into Controller Editor that would make it simple to set the Mikro Mk3 up to play General Midi drum kits/notes without having to map each one myself. I was delighted to read this thread to see that there seems to be a more advanced template by Elton that appears to also add support for Ableton (which is my preferred DAW). Do you know if his template/script also allows the Mikro Mk3 to be used as a drum pad controller in Ableton, where the pads are mapped sensibly for Ableton's Drum Rack and/or General Midi mapping for using with VSTs like Superior Drummer/EZ Drummer, etc? I'm praying it does, otherwise it looks like I may need to return my Mikro Mk3.

As for Elton mentioning that you may need to grant Controller Editor permissions, you should be able to do that within System Preferences, under the Privacy tab of Security & Privacy preference pane. I guess the question would be what category would you need to select in the left pane (i.e., Accessibility, Full Disk Access) to grant permissions. You could try both. Hopefully it doesn't require "Automation" permissions, which can't be added manually and must be requested by the application. Maybe reinstalling Controller Editor would prompt the app for requesting permissions upon first startup?

Let me know if that helps. And also let me know if I should be returning the Mikro Mk3 or if Elton's script fills all of my needs ;)

• KIRI
    KIRI Member Posts: 34 Member
    Options

thanks for explaining - yes, it would be an amazing feature, if as you say the Live API ever allows it.

I know of one (non-hardware) work-around for remotely accessing the Live Browser e.g. via tablet via M4L devices - one called 'Browser Mapper' that I've used and works pretty well, but access via Maschine would be much much better...

here's a link to what I'm talking about in case you've not come across it before:

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/5884/browser-mapper

• DeepThumb
    DeepThumb Member Posts: 170 Advisor
    Options

Many things are possible with the combi MMMK3 and Ableton Live but require some work and investigations. Reason: Maschine's Base note is C3, Ableton's Drum Rack is tuned to C1.

For current EZD2 I used http://dsrtsound.com/drum-mapper/ However EZ3 is announced for May. So how knows?

SD3 has MIDI learn functionality in comparison to EZD2, that currently can't do it.

Maybe a Push2 or Launchpad Pro MK3 are better solutions for you.

• Elton Memishaj
    Elton Memishaj Member Posts: 130 Advisor
    Options

Hello @brian.tully ,

This script already provides integration with Ableton Live's Drum Rack instrument device.

You can scroll up/down to show more pads, they are automatically assigned to the pads and can be triggered directly, note repeat supported, solo, mute, etc.

You can also check out the interactive user manual, specifically under "DRUM Mode" section, over at this link:

https://elton47.github.io/MMMk3-User-Manual/

Personally, I use MASCHINE VST inside a drum rack and some routings and use of Live's "External Instrument" device to assign Live's Drum Rack's pads to listen and trigger MASCHINE Software pads (i.e.: To use the NI EXPANSIONS).

I have planned to make a dedicated tutorial and/or exported rack for MASCHINE VST + Live's Drum Rack integration (but it is not script-related, it is useful in general).

Still, the "normal" way of using Drum Rack is fully supported from this script.

You can try it out and then let me know if you are not satisfied with the purchase, so we can discuss about a refund.

Thank you,

Elton

• Elton Memishaj
    Options

Hi,

Thank you so much for letting me know about this M4L device :)

I will check it out as soon as I can today or during this week!

Thank you!

• Elton Memishaj
    Options

Hello,

I checked the M4L device, thank you so much for letting me know about it.

Unfortunately, I prefer (and have to) let the script without any thirty-party dependencies, such as a M4L device to be loaded, especially when the device is a paid one (such as the browser mapper one), for various reasons, most importantly legal reasons, that I cannot include a paid device from another author bundled in the product that I provide.

I will let everyone know about this suggested feature in the future, as soon as there is a possibility from Live's API.

Thank you,

Elton

• NikomiUdon
    NikomiUdon Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Very useful script for MASCHINE Mikro MkIII with Ableton Live 11.

I hope to be able to use the note repeat function in clip mode.

• Baumbart
    Baumbart Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hello Elton,

your script works perfect. Just what I was looking for.

The only thing I´m missing (or can´t figure out) is how to stop a single clip.

I´m using Maschine Mikro MK3 and Ableton 11 and V 1.6.0 of your Script

The manual says to press STOP + PAD 1-15. But as soon as I press STOP, the whole playback stops.

SHIFT (RESTART) + STOP doesnt work either; The whole playback stops.

Is it my setup or a glitch in the Script? Do you have an idea what i could try fix that?

Thanks, keep up the good work!

B.

• jaqfruit
    jaqfruit Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Is there a way to change the color of the pad when triggered?

• Elton Memishaj
    Options

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply about this.

You can already use note repeat even when you are in CLIP mode (or any other mode).

As soon as you activate note repeat, it will temporarily switch to DRUM or KEYBOARD mode, depending on the selected track's loaded instrument type, which will allow you to trigger drum pads or play notes.

When you turn off note repeat mode, it will switch back to previously-set mode, for example CLIP mode.

This is also explained very briefly in the User Manual.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

• Elton Memishaj
    Options
  • Elton Memishaj
    Options

Hello,

You have to hold STOP button and press PAD 1-16 to stop playing Clip of Track 1-16 (even scrollable using the JOG WHEEL, while STOP is being held, to scroll if you have more than 16 visible Tracks in your Live set).

Pressing and releasing the STOP button, will stop the playback, as normal.

SHIFT + STOP will stop all clips, without stopping the playback.

STOP (hold) + PAD 1-16 will stop clip of Track 1-16, without stopping the playback.

Please let me know if I understand your question correctly.

• Elton Memishaj
    Options

Hello,

I am sorry for my late response.

Do you mean if there's a way to change the highlight color of the pads when pressed to trigger drum pads and/or keyboard notes (the yellow color)?

• Baumbart
    Baumbart Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Hello Elton,

thanks for getting back to me.

I tried it the way you described, but as soon as I press the STOP button, the playback stops. The playback stops on button down, not button up.

Thanks

B.

• Elton Memishaj
    Options

Hello,

Are you using the latest version v1.6.0 of the script together with the latest version of Controller Editor Template provided from the zip file?