How do I get essential software to run a second hand Maschine if I can't contact the seller?

Options
Rob Red
Rob Red Member Posts: 2 Member

About six months ago I bought a second hand Maschine MK3 online, mistakenly presuming I would just have to provide the serial number to NI to get any essential software that would allow me to put it to use. I had purchased some other unrelated equipment for my studio and got involved with that first, and then starting four months ago I spent all but a few days of the last four months either in hospital or in post-admission physical rehab, so I just now am free to look into the Maschine. I put up a question on the NI site about getting software for the device, and I was informed that I must contact the seller to get some kind of a tranfer code, apparently tied to their fear that the seller will keep whatever version of Komplete or Kontakt that comes with the device, and then, if they did not demand the transfer code, I would be a second person getting the same software when it was paid for only once. I do understand that, but I don't need Komplete. I already have license to it, which I purchased separately. All I need is whatever software is necessary to use the Maschine, like if there are Windows drivers or some application that helps you put the Maschine to use. Since that sort of software would be useful only to someone who has the device, I don't see how NI would worry about someone who has the device using it for free. The person who sold it doesn't need it anymore, I would imagine, whereas, of course they could put Komplete to other use.

I found a page on the NI site that they ask you to click on if you can no longer contact the seller after you've bought a used Maschine. That sounded like just what I needed, but I clicked on it and it just brought me back to the same page that told me I needed to contact the seller in the first place. Anywhere I found opportunity to set up a support ticket, it demanded the topic, and that, too, led me back to the same page. It's been six months since I bought the thing, and I no longer have any idea who I bought it from. I checked in my Reverb.com and eBay accounts, where I am most prone to buy used musical equipment, and it was not tied to either of them.

Does anyone know how I can get essential software to use the Maschine, or did I basically buy it used and turn it into a useless item because I didn't know about this limitation in advance of the purchase?

Rob

Tagged:

Best Answers

• HugoClubs
    HugoClubs Member Posts: 56 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

you can buy the software separately

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/pricing/maschine-essentials/

But honestly, you would be better with Bitwig Studio essentials. Give their demo a try. They have deep integration with the Maschine hardware

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,290 mod
    edited April 30 Answer ✓
    Options

Registering the hardware ought to give you the base software that came with the hardware (Matt_NI : All you need to know about License Transfer )

I agree that this is all extremely convoluted and difficult to navigate but :

The "resolution that works" is the click through make the right choices to open a ticket : N.I. Account Support

Scroll down to bottom of page N.I. Account Support and log in

Then click the Contact support

Then again scroll down and click the Contact N.I. support that shows

Then yes , damn it ! , then you have to click the Contact N.I. support again

1: Do you need help with the activation or installation of a product?

NO

2: Is your question about License Transfers / 2nd hand purchases?This question is required.

YES

3: We have collected all info around 2nd hand purchases in this overview.

That doesn't help !

4: OK. Are you a buyer or seller

Buyer

5 Have you received a License Transfer Token?
    NO

6 Have you bought it from a shop (Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Thomann, etc.) or from a private person (Ebay, Facebook, etc.)?
    Privately

7 Please ask the seller to request a License Transfer Token as explained in this article.
    I Can't contact the seller

8 Please upload a photo of the invoice or receipt from the seller.

You have to take the rest from there yourself since I can not start opening empty tickets just to make a guide for you.

In the future the please understand that you yourself can click back (UP) on the arrows to the right to select other answers that will allow you to open a ticket. It is extremely time consuming to not only have to click through it all but also have to copy everything to here and to explain it all (I can not even just copy and paste this in case there are made changes to the support system that I will be unaware of , I will at least have to compare text with support interface every time ) (I am just another user here made Moderator )

• Rob Red
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for the attention and quick response. I don't know yet whether it has worked, but I was able to follow your instructions and get through it all, although some of what it asked for I simply do not have, and at points, they do not offer the option of saying, "I don't have that." For instance, after I got through the path you guided me through, the very next command was that I attach an image of the receipt I got when I purchased the MK3. The only things in the box included the MK3 and its charging adapter. There was no information of any sort, including receipt, contact info, or anything about using or registering the device. As a photo image was requested, I simply used a graphics app to produce a note that informed them that I had received neither receipt nor invoice with the device. I can only hope that that will prove to have been adequate for the purpose, but I have not yet had the time to go through the entire process, ao I have not yet forwarded it to NI. The next thing I must do is take a photo of some information on the back of the device and upload it to a field in this questionnaire. Time will tell, as I do not yet know what comes beyond that. It is amazing that they take something that could be relatively simple and make it so complicated, but at least you got me headed in the right direction, so thank you very much.

Rob R

Answers

• HugoClubs
    HugoClubs Member Posts: 56 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

you can buy the software separately

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/pricing/maschine-essentials/

But honestly, you would be better with Bitwig Studio essentials. Give their demo a try. They have deep integration with the Maschine hardware

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,290 mod
    edited April 30 Answer ✓
    Options

Registering the hardware ought to give you the base software that came with the hardware (Matt_NI : All you need to know about License Transfer )

I agree that this is all extremely convoluted and difficult to navigate but :

The "resolution that works" is the click through make the right choices to open a ticket : N.I. Account Support

Scroll down to bottom of page N.I. Account Support and log in

Then click the Contact support

Then again scroll down and click the Contact N.I. support that shows

Then yes , damn it ! , then you have to click the Contact N.I. support again

1: Do you need help with the activation or installation of a product?

NO

2: Is your question about License Transfers / 2nd hand purchases?This question is required.

YES

3: We have collected all info around 2nd hand purchases in this overview.

That doesn't help !

4: OK. Are you a buyer or seller

Buyer

5 Have you received a License Transfer Token?
    NO

6 Have you bought it from a shop (Guitar Center, Sweetwater, Thomann, etc.) or from a private person (Ebay, Facebook, etc.)?
    Privately

7 Please ask the seller to request a License Transfer Token as explained in this article.
    I Can't contact the seller

8 Please upload a photo of the invoice or receipt from the seller.

You have to take the rest from there yourself since I can not start opening empty tickets just to make a guide for you.

In the future the please understand that you yourself can click back (UP) on the arrows to the right to select other answers that will allow you to open a ticket. It is extremely time consuming to not only have to click through it all but also have to copy everything to here and to explain it all (I can not even just copy and paste this in case there are made changes to the support system that I will be unaware of , I will at least have to compare text with support interface every time ) (I am just another user here made Moderator )

• Rob Red
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for the attention and quick response. I don't know yet whether it has worked, but I was able to follow your instructions and get through it all, although some of what it asked for I simply do not have, and at points, they do not offer the option of saying, "I don't have that." For instance, after I got through the path you guided me through, the very next command was that I attach an image of the receipt I got when I purchased the MK3. The only things in the box included the MK3 and its charging adapter. There was no information of any sort, including receipt, contact info, or anything about using or registering the device. As a photo image was requested, I simply used a graphics app to produce a note that informed them that I had received neither receipt nor invoice with the device. I can only hope that that will prove to have been adequate for the purpose, but I have not yet had the time to go through the entire process, ao I have not yet forwarded it to NI. The next thing I must do is take a photo of some information on the back of the device and upload it to a field in this questionnaire. Time will tell, as I do not yet know what comes beyond that. It is amazing that they take something that could be relatively simple and make it so complicated, but at least you got me headed in the right direction, so thank you very much.

Rob R