Some updates load extremely fast then stall

Options
LOUDR!
LOUDR! Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Hi, I'm trying to update Analog Dreams & Ethereal Earth from within Native Access 2. Both downloads jump to about 95% completed in no time and then stall.

There's no activity on my network, so I'm sure it's not downloading anything. Other products worked well.

Clearing the NA cache didn't work. Is this a known issue?

Thanks!

Tagged:

Answers

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 492 Pro
    Options

They don't "stall"...they slow down I'm assuming. From what I can tell it depends on how the pieces were packaged for distribution. Some, like those you mentioned, unpack the main program components first, then the sample libraries which consist of TONS of small files. Each file requires a certain amount of overhead and that overhead multiplies considerably during that period, so it's not the speed of unpacking that's slowing it down it's the overhead associated with unpacking a ton of small files.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,016 mod
    edited April 10
    Options

I'm trying to update Analog Dreams & Ethereal Earth from within Native Access 2. Both downloads jump to about 95% completed in no time and then stall.

The 'magic word' here is 'update' ! A short while back new installer tech , 'slim content', were rolled out which means that the installation to start while checking what needs to be downloaded (updated) shows that it needs to download a lot and then suddenly after having checked/compared with server info switches to showing that it only needs to update a few files .

Reference (not exactly the same 'visual glitch' but sort of) : Quote Hayo_NI Product Team February 28 , 2024 : We're rolling slim content out for expansions. This could display an incorrect need to reinstall the entire product, though we're looking into what else might be causing this visual glitch.

However ! Please notice the following ! : If you while Native Access are updating an app or a library interrupts the download (or if e.g. the computer crash !) then Native Access could get seriously screwed up in as much as that it might then suddenly require repairs that sometimes can be problematic (to say the least) (The greater problem IMO being that N.A. is very poor recovering from or solving error states in general) . I am just another user here and by no means a N.A: expert so to how great extend what I just wrote applies I couldn't tell as well as I, due to more N.I. policies, would also have to in some or most cases simply have to point to support to get the issue fixed if you have one !

What is you present situation I can not tell. The 'DunedinDragon' advice above is appropriate in as much as that the only way to tell what is your exact present situation is to give the Native Access the needed time to finish the downloads and if N.A. does not finish/never finish then that will be the tell that N.A. has reached some state of being screwed up. In which case then alas there is not just some button to push to recover ! Anyway, that is what you need to find out ! (if N.A. finishes the downloads given sufficient reasonable amount of time depending on library/app)