Is it okay for a PC to leave Native Access downloading all night?

Options
Guitarbinge86
Guitarbinge86 Member Posts: 47 Member

I got a new PC and after installing tons of things it was time for my 'N.I. Vsti's'... My download speed isn't too fast. I loaded up about 25 virtual instruments to load (1 at a time). Not all were huge but still it's a lot. Is that okay? Is it really hard on your PC (2 SSD's)?

I probably should've asked first.

Best Answers

• Cormyc
    Cormyc Member Posts: 2 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No, that's not okay.
    With 25 plug-ins it could still work reasonably well. However, if you want to install NI's large package, the computer will run continuously for more than 72 hours to download "Komplete 14 Collectors Edition".
    (89 articles after 20 hours / 192(!) still in progress)

When trying to copy it from my old system to the new PC in the default folder a number of error messages appeared.

So i download and download and download and..........

Contact 12 was also sold as a hard drive version and fortunately could bypass the Internet.

It would be nice if Native Instruments created some kind of ISO file for an external hard drive that you only need to download once!
  • Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,369 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is very OK. Sometimes i leave my PC open for weeks.

What is not OK is if you have enable Sleep mode or Hibernation or similar stuff. You might have troubles.

If you are on a Desktop PC, you don't need any of those things, and, by the way, it is a very good idea that you go to Control Panel - Power Options and choose a "High Performance" plan. This is important. Never use "Balanced" plan on a Desktop who is always connected to the power supply. It is foolish. It is like you have a Ferrari and force it to run as a Fiat!

But, if you are on a Laptop, things are different. Many times you need this stuff (sleep mode, hibernation etc.). Personally, i never use Sleep mode, not even in my laptop, as it might become a serious issue when you deal with audio, but this is up to you.

However, in this case, if you use any of those options, make sure that the laptop is connected to the power supply and that you keep the lid open!

Answers

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

Not entirely sure what the concern is, but it's perfectly fine to leave your computer running overnight downloading stuff. I have both a Mac and a PC and I rarely ever turn then off.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,406 Expert
    Options

It's fine.

• Guitarbinge86
    Options

Cool, just checking. Thanks for the help. I was worried b/c it was working hard consistently for many hours, but now I know. . . At least I updated from 'Windows 95'😉

• Cormyc
    Answer ✓
    Options
    No, that's not okay.
    With 25 plug-ins it could still work reasonably well. However, if you want to install NI's large package, the computer will run continuously for more than 72 hours to download "Komplete 14 Collectors Edition".
    (89 articles after 20 hours / 192(!) still in progress)

When trying to copy it from my old system to the new PC in the default folder a number of error messages appeared.

So i download and download and download and..........

Contact 12 was also sold as a hard drive version and fortunately could bypass the Internet.

It would be nice if Native Instruments created some kind of ISO file for an external hard drive that you only need to download once!
  • Sunborn
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is very OK. Sometimes i leave my PC open for weeks.

What is not OK is if you have enable Sleep mode or Hibernation or similar stuff. You might have troubles.

If you are on a Desktop PC, you don't need any of those things, and, by the way, it is a very good idea that you go to Control Panel - Power Options and choose a "High Performance" plan. This is important. Never use "Balanced" plan on a Desktop who is always connected to the power supply. It is foolish. It is like you have a Ferrari and force it to run as a Fiat!

But, if you are on a Laptop, things are different. Many times you need this stuff (sleep mode, hibernation etc.). Personally, i never use Sleep mode, not even in my laptop, as it might become a serious issue when you deal with audio, but this is up to you.

However, in this case, if you use any of those options, make sure that the laptop is connected to the power supply and that you keep the lid open!

• Cormyc
    Options
    If you run a studio and make money with your music, it may be correct for the systems to run 24/7.
    As a normal consumer, the systems are switched off again after use.
    This has nothing to do with the settings on the computer, but rather my personal setting to switch off electronic devices when not in use.

If this setting is unusual, please specify.
  • chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 363 Pro
    Options

Mhh... it surely makes sense to use the Balanced power plan, if you don't do audio. It throttles the CPU, which helps with longevity, and saves energy.

You're right, of course, that it makes much more sense on a laptop, where you want to save battery, but, it has its uses on a desktop as well IMO.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
    edited February 11
    Options

I agree with what chk071 says.

Balanced power, sleep mode and/or hibernation are not there because otherwise you risk that your computer ends the “juice” and turns off.

They are there to reduce consumes, not wasting resources while you are not using it and also not forcing the computer to constantly “stress” itself for no reasons.

A better suggestion could be to disable them WHILE you are doing something that requires it (dealing with audio or anything else), but then turn them back on, e.g., if you go to sleep.

Having a Ferrari doesn’t mean you have to burn half of the petrol of this world every time you go buy milk at the shop next to your door. Yes, you can reach the shop in 30 sec driving at 260 km/h making the tour of your whole city, but you can also reach it in 30 sec driving straight to it at 40. And you won’t add all those km to your Ferrari engine, making its life longer ☺️

And about having your computer on 24/7 (running a studio or not). What I notice is that when my computers are on from many days, the performances are not the same anymore. Turning them off now and then surely helps to make them work better (freeing up ghosts remained in RAM, giving the programs a fresh start,…)

• Sunborn
    edited February 11
    Options

High Performance plan is a must on audio processing since decades and still is!

"and also not forcing the computer to constantly “stress” itself for no reasons."

That, is not truth. I constantly use "High Performance" plan and disabled "sleep mode" in all my computers (including laptop) since 2005. Never had any problem even on heavily overclocked devices!

Not according to me but according to every major audio developer.

Steinberg

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/360008589880-Windows-How-to-set-up-and-optimize-a-Digital-Audio-Workstation

Native Instruments

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209571729-Windows-Tuning-Tips-for-Audio-Processing

Ableton

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209071469-Optimizing-Windows-for-Audio

PreSonus

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/articles/360025279231-Optimizing-Your-Computer-for-Audio-Windows-10

BitWig

https://www.bitwig.com/support/technical_support/how-to-configure-windows-to-get-the-best-possible-performance-out-of-your-pc-11/

And every studio professional too, agrees. If you want more links, there are more links... many more! 😉

This is how things are in the audio world. And this must be emphasized. However, you are not forced to do so. 🙂

• LostInFoundation
    edited February 11
    Options

No one is saying that what you said isn’t right. Of course it is. The best way to use something is at its maximum capacities. And you’re right: High performance plan is a must in audio processing. But we don’t use our computers for audio processing the whole time

We are just underlining that those functions are there for a reason.

And we are also not saying that you will have problems while using your computer. Only that maybe your computer lifespan could diminish. See the example of the Ferrari doing a lot of km and pushing its engine to the limits when not needed. What will last more? A car with 300000 (unnecessary) kms after 2 years or one that will reach that number after a way longer time?

What we were saying is: use your Ferrari at its maximum when you need it (you must go from A to B in the fastest time possible, aka doing audio tasks)…but you can also use it in a “normal way” when it’s not necessary. Like this maybe you won’t finish all the petrol in the world in a couple of year and burn your Ferrari engine faster. Like this you will still have your Ferrari (and some petrol to make it run 😂)

If then you don’t mind at all using more resources when it’s not needed, having 5 millions nuclear implants to serve humanity need of electricity or buying (and making produce) one new Ferrari every 2 years, your way to use things is the best in the world.

Best way to manage human beings? Having one absolute leader, keeping a sufficient number of slaves to produce for him anything he needs and serve him so that he will be the satisfied on anything he desires…and kill all the others so they won’t waste the resources and they will be all for him. But…do we wanna do this? 😂😂😂

(yes I know…I love exaggerations 😂)

• Sunborn
    edited February 11
    Options

Yes, yes, fair enough! 😂

Yet, a "Wild Child" like me, enjoys to live life on the edge, day and night, 24/7. 😊

...and my machines, Ferrari or not, have to follow my wishes! 🙄

as of what you said:

If then you don’t mind at all using more resources when it’s not needed, having 5 millions nuclear implants to serve humanity need of electricity or buying (and making produce) one new Ferrari every 2 years, your way to use things is the best in the world.

The first part, reminds me this foolish (sorry) "Earth Day", where we were asked to close our lights etc. etc. while on the same day, thousands of industries keep polluting everything with unlimited tons of poisons, while of course wasting unlimited amounts of energy! And the governments do not do anything for them, yet they ask me to "close my lights, to save energy"! Can't you see the irony or how much ridiculous is this? They are trying to force the guilt of their own crimes, to us! Well, I refuse to obey (while listening "Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name")! 😎

The second part is simply wrong (in most cases at least). As i wrote, i never had any serious problem (one that i couldn't solve myself easily) even on overclocked devices. In fact, all my devices was (and still are) always overclocked, almost since day 1. And this is just my 3rd computer since 2005!

So, the reality is that, even with the most heavy and abnormal use, chances are 99% that you will change your device to conform with the modern technology long before the device become damaged!!! I still have my ancient 2005 computer in the basement, overclocked from 2.4 GHz to 3.3 GHz, 9 years of exterminating use, and still working!

• LostInFoundation
    Options

The irony is more than evident.

But the “I won’t do something since in any case others won’t do it anyway” won’t lead us anywhere.

Since you mentioned RATM…will you be fighting the system or be part of it?

What they tell us is to “consume, consume, consume”.

Well…”F*** you, I won’t do what you tell me” (repeated 16 times) 😉

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Or…to mention another marvelous group (C.C.C.P)…unluckily an Italian one, so I can’t suggest you to listen to them cause you’ll miss what they are saying (even with translations losing the simple but very poetic way in which their frontman Giovanni Lindo Ferretti expresses himself means losing everything)

PRODUCI, CONSUMA, CREPA

(Produce, Consume, Die)

• Sunborn
    Options

Always anti-systemic to the bone, since my teenage years!

But in practice, not "from my sofa" like many others, especially in the 80s-90s... obviously less now, both because of age and because I live in nature, far from cities and far less system depended. We even grow most of our food too.

Of course, there is no such thing as full escape, whoever believes that is naive. So i learnt how to keep a balance and i have accept those parts of the system who are beneficial.

• Guitarbinge86
    Options

Thanks again everyone for the help. Do any of you use an app to track the temp. of your inner PC parts? or know any that are basic and easy on PC? First and foremost, does anyone think I even need to track it? I only get to make music a few hours a night a few nights a week. My PC is optimized decently, and I'm not overclocking or anything. I usually run 'Cubase' w/ 'Native Instruments' or 'Arturia'... The only reason I consider it's b/c my PC is a very small 'SFF' (half the size of my other 'SFF'/"small form factor").