My 3 most wanted NA things are:

1) Ability to hide/show products

2) Full integration of iZotope stuff

3) More product uninstallers

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 442 Guru
    edited February 7
    Options

Why not reduce to one, instead of “or two”? The less complexity, the better 👍

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,243 mod
    Options

@Hayo_NI ,

That was a lot of information that you managed to pack into that message - took me some time to digest not to mention all the subsequent communication/messages..

I for one am very glad to see that you appear determined to take hand of any issues and that you want to be proactive and also improve N.I.'s ability to fix things when there are mishaps.

Also I am very curious to see it all unfold and especially to see the reception that it will all get , though that makes me want to once more state that you can't please everyone , and that the best way to get people to be happy with the apps are by to great extent make the user experience (e.g. UI) configurable...

Best wishes for your and the team(s) endeavor(s) 🙂

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,945 mod
    edited February 7
    Options

Oh, I see... Never had that issue myself. Well S1 is just 1 product/host, NA relocates for a bunch Machine, KK, Kontakt, Battery, etc... I would rather not have to relocate inside a ton of different apps/plugs and just use the install manager handle it all for me, assuming it works.

Humm... Interesting, after relocating I also simply start any of the apps or DAW and it works here, however, I have no idea how it might work on other systems.

What is fully broken at least for me is "Relocate All", I just had to do it one by one on a new computer and it was painful.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,405 mod
    Options

Actually they are using a combination of two installers (for Windows).

The standard (and very common worldwide) Microsoft's MSI Installer and Mimar Sinan's Install Aware as an editor to MSI Installer (for customizing the installer, add options etc.).

Those are for Windows only. For Mac they need different ones. It is pretty OK, you can not just have one installer for all, it is simply not possible. Different systems need different installers.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,082 Guru
    Options

@D-One

"What is fully broken at least for me is "Relocate All", I just had to do it one by one on a new computer and it was painful."

Well - to clarify - it's not broken - because there is no Locate All in Native Access v3.8.x

VP

• D-One
    edited February 7
    Options

!? Sorry, but your statements just make me increasingly more confused instead of clarifying...

I swear I see a Relocate button there I am not hallucinating, I didn't do any mushrooms today... yet. :D

• Vocalpoint
    edited February 7
    Options

@D-One

"I swear I see a Relocate button there I am not hallucinating, I didn't do any mushrooms today... yet. :D"

You must have something that I do not - as there is no Relocate All in my world:

Maybe it's a Mac-only thing?

VP

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,150 Expert
    Options

Maybe it will only show up if you have libraries that need relocating?

• Vocalpoint
    edited February 7
    Options

Well - that does not make a lot of sense. What if I want to "Relocate" something right now? This button should be available ALL the time - whenever I feel like I want to move something.

I guess we need to be clear on what Locate and Relocate "should " mean - in relation to NI content.

To me - Locate means "Help me find a library somewhere on this machine (that is currently unknown to NA) which can be "reauthorized" to save me the hassle of downloading that existing content again."

To me - Relocate means "I want to move existing content (that is already known to NA) and is authorized - to some other location on this machine for a variety of reasons (but usually available space)"

That said - I just built a brand-new DAW in the last couple of weeks here and reinstalled ALL my NI stuff from scratch - to my knowledge - there was never any sighting of a Relocate All button here - if there was - I sure would have tried to use it as all my NI stuff is in a specific (non-standard) folder.

Conversely - there was repeated sightings of a LOCATE function - which was available for every library that I wanted to "reacquaint" with Native Access. That was a one-by-one process - which did take some time but was manageable in the end.

VP

• D-One
    edited February 7
    Options

I guess that's fair. Again, we circle back to core functionality... Which was my original point 🤷‍♂️ As it stands relocate is to find missing stuff that was previously installed on that specific system but you can trick NA to do other things...

"Relocate" allowed me to setup a new computer and avoid re-downloading the 1.3 terabytes of NI data that I already had on my external nvme, installing from scratch without relocating would have taken ages. On MacOS we just need to copy some .plists from the old computer to the new, then NA2 'sees' things as installed but missing, then you proceed to relocate. "Relocate All" working would have made this process even faster. Apps and FX still need full installs but that's not a lot of Data.

Matt Lara who works for NI has a video guide on it, not sure if it's possible on Windows since I don't think NA uses .plists on it, it's probably registry entries or something similar that needs to be copied over.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 442 Guru
    Options

That’s understandable. My question is if all what installer does is to unpack and put files in specific locations, etc. - why not to have one custom made installer per platform? Why to use third party solutions? And why more than one per platform?

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,446 Expert
    Options

Because they have a lot of old and different products that need to be aligned.

But as he already said, they are working towards it.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,405 mod
    Options

Because an installer is an independent, complex software by itself. The companies who develop installers do just that and nothing else. It is like the antivirus apps. You can't expect AVAST to suddenly start create music software. In the same way, you can't expect Native Instruments to suddenly create antivirus software (or installers, in our case). :-)

This discussion has been closed.