Native Access Q1 Update

Options

Comments

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,405 mod
    Options

@Matthew_NI there are new massive Korean spam attacks and there is no one on Discord to inform him!

• Scott Frost
    Scott Frost Member Posts: 36 Helper
    Options

Any chance on migrating izotope products over? Their product activation software seems old and not being updated anymore?

also it would be nice to transfer or remove products from NA directly

• Hayo_NI
    Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 281 mod
    Options

We will offer workarounds to the products that work on older operating systems alternative to Native Access 1 as the year goes on. We've given a one year's advance notice to give you ample time to prepare for this switch, and we'll continue to inform and update you with guides on how to get access to your products before then.

• Hayo_NI
    Options

This work is in progress. I'll have much more to share next quarter.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    edited February 6
    Options

Ok. So is the answer “the products will still be usable”?

I.e. : if I want to keep my studio computer on windows 8, will I be able to install (and ACTIVATE, therefore use), let’s say, Maschine and Alicia keys and other programs/libraries? Are the workarounds for this?

Giving one year’s advance notice is a good thing, but it doesn’t mean everyone can or wants to prepare.

Let’s try the straightest question I can put down: will people with versions of windows older than windows 10 be able to use what they paid for? (I mean the same programs/libraries they have previously been able to install on those OS, not new updated versions requiring newer specs of course)

• Hayo_NI
    Options

Hey reffahcs,

This is awesome stuff, I'll send the Locate Library over to the team right away and see what improvements we can make. From initial looks, it looks like the ones you're showing happen to be the most problematic. For Native Browser Preview Library, the installer is causing issues on windows as it exceeds the 260 character limit of file paths, so we renamed the product folder, but this seems to not have been adjusted somewhere. Will get back to you on a fix here. Regarding Maschine Factory Library, there's another issue with us installing it to a folder with the wrong name. Manually renaming the folder to Maschine 2 Factory Library solves the problem there. We'll look into why it's doing this, but at the very least you're right, we should surface better information here.

Regarding uninstall, we support 5 different installation technologies, which means to support an uninstall functionality, we have to do it 5 times over. We're currently chatting about what technologies to limit to and based on that discussion we'll follow up with the uninstallation iterations. This causes problems for other features in the app too, like Locate.

I agree we should look into error messages. We're still monitoring the new download manager behaviors, and as a result of that, we'll follow through with some new errors that aren't being surfaced. I'll make sure to add ones we do surface into the release notes.

Sorting functionality is something we're revisiting soon, though not this quarter just yet. We're looking into it on a design level right now, since we're looking into mechanisms that might be of interest. Things like "Sort by Last Updated" could help with product management as well. Will pass this on to our designer.

Appreciate the feedback here!

• Hayo_NI
    Options

Not via Native Access 1, but yes there will be a way to use your owned products. As we get closer to the deadline we'll provide more guidance.

• Ed M
    Ed M Member Posts: 148 Advisor
    Options

Really cool to take the time to explain all of this and giving some insights, thank you for that.

When will be getting some equally interesting insights on products we use to make music, like Kontakt, Komplete Kontrol, Maschine, new or updated hardware,...? Those are the things we are really excited about (I suppose). For the record, I don't want to downplay or minimize your work to improve NA. What great "toys" NI has in store, next to a stable product portal?

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,085 Guru
    edited February 6
    Options

@LostInFoundation

"Thank you for the direct answer" 

Hoping we can just go right back to manual installers good ole serial numbers - which have been in our NI Accts since Day 1

But Hayo did say there is a "new" EULA coming soon too - most likely that will spell out exactly what the end user can (and cannot) expect with this change.

VP

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,309 Expert
    edited February 6
    Options

I would like to have manual installers, files to keep and serial numbers back too…

But it’s their business and I can’t tell them how to manage it. If they are convinced that the way to keep us tied and loyal is by not providing installers (or having to ask them to support one by one), forcing customers to use online installers, putting a scanning program like NTK Daemon always running in our computer, not allowing us to manage what gets installed in our computers,… instead of offering valid and innovative new plugins…there is nothing I can do about it…

And I’m sure they don’t mind at all losing some loyal customers that will not buy any new product as long as the vaste majority is accepting all these things without even asking a single question.

What I do care is to be sure that they won’t push the limit of what they feel they can do since customers don’t seem interested in defending their own rights too far.

And having to deal with a company that think they can do whatever they want at the point that they canceled part of the previous EULA that was in favor of customers (the part that was saying that the customer has the right to use the products he bought indeterminately (also in time) and in the case NI isn’t able to provide activation they must find another way to allow users to use the products they paid for) without even saying anything…that scares me a little bit. Hence why every time I see something related I’m asking for clarifications

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,085 Guru
    Options

@LostInFoundation

"there is nothing I can do about it…"

Well - you could stop using NI products - so there is actually something you can do about it.

VP

This discussion has been closed.