Newly renamed audio samples - still reverts to old name in browser - how to fix

Options
dmori
dmori Member Posts: 66 Advisor

I renamed a whole bunch of samples. But when I remove the old reference and re-add to maschine, it still shows the old name. This is a real pain.

This used to work but now it just reverts back to old name and doesn't show new name.

I've even opened files in Meta Digger to see the meta on the files and it shows new name not old.

How do I fix this.

Using Mac mini M1/Monterey

Comments

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,373 mod
    Options

If those samples are user samples by you, and not Factory samples, do a re-scan of the User library.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

When you say samples you're talking about just .wav files right? How exactly are you changing the names? Inside Maschine or in Finder? Do you use these samples on more than one project?

Also, we are talking about User Files, not Library/Expansion content, correct?

• dmori
    Options

They are my samples. I did do a re-scan. As well as removing from user library. Then re-adding. Then trying a different approach by removing from user library, then going to import folder from the files tab, but same result.

• dmori
    edited December 2023
    Options

Yes wav files. I changed the names in the finder. Removed the original user folder, created a new one and copied re-named samples to it.

It's a library of sounds, so they would be used on multiple projects, although for now most haven't been used in a project.

Now on your last question - I have done both.

The user library re-names haven't changed.

However, I re-sorted my expansions folder and extracted all drum patterns and added to new folders and to my user Loop library in Maschine. When re-naming these about 60-70% name changes worked perfectly, but some didn't at all - even after removing/re-adding. All I did was remove the word Drums from the samples - so it shows the BPM first.

BTW: How do you add GIFs so they play here rather than adding as link?

EDIT FROM D-One: pasting the direct .gif link:

• Sunborn
    Options

Then, your problem is the internal tagging of WAV files. Every audio file can be tagged, like this:

Those internal tags in most cases, overrides the file name. Most audio apps looking for the tagged title first, and only if it doesn't exists they use the file name.).

I suggest to check them and remove those tags (or replace them with the new name).

I use the Mp3Tag for this, but there are few other apps too... you can even do it through Traktor.

btw, i don't think you can add Gif's here

• Sunborn
    edited December 2023
    Options

oh wait.... i just checked your Gif.

From what i see, you are not using your own samples, but samples from Expansions! Unless your Gif was just an example... Those samples from expansions are somehow locked, thus it is very hard to change them.

Renaming them and add them to your user library, does not make them "your samples".

In few words, you are trying to dismantle Factory expansions and use them as you like and put them in a wrong folder (your user library). This is not only will never work, because every single sample has references in specific places (on Windows, is the registry), but it is also a potential copyright issue.

Or did i misunderstood something?

• D-One
    edited December 2023
    Options

Gifs usually work if hosted on another website, you have to right-click the gif, select "copy image address", paste it here then press enter - In the case of that host you have to delete the extra text after .gif, I edited it your post and works fine. What won't work is dropping the Gif directly into the text box (upload), it gets converted to a static Image last I checked.

--

Yes, correct... That content seems to be from Expansions, but still, if you:

1. copy the files to another folder
    2. rename the files
    3. add that folder as a custom user lib
    4. and rescan

It should update the names, it does for me. Video attached. You don't even need any re-adding.

What probably won't work and is not at all advisable is to add original folders from Expansions as User content if they are installed, if for some reason they update it will break all your changes.

But note that with this method it will show up on the browser under the name of the original expansion it came from, because the Tag Metadata is baked into the files, for the browser section it's specifically the "Product Name" which unlike other tags is not editable (altho there's tricks to do it....)

• dmori
    Options

Thanks for your step by step video.

I did follow all the steps you outlined. Only a few (3 out of 29) names wouldn't change in the Maschine browser.

The ones that didn't change names were:

• Burnt Hues
    • Free Form
    • System Clash

I will try re-adding these ones again to see if it will take the name changes.

But with my own samples, I can't understand why Maschine reverts back to old name rather than accept new name. maybe one of Maschines's many quirks.

• dmori
    Options
  • D-One
    Options

Strange... For those that do not update, if you try to load them from the Maschine Browser what happens? It says "File Not Found"? Try to establish if there's anything different in those wav files that do not update. Or zip 1 or 2 of those files and upload here so we can check.

Try renaming from the Sampling Menu

This is not practical for mass editing but in the case that you already used the Sample in a project this both renames the original file aswell as updates it's reference in the project, so you don't have to rebuild things - You do have tobe careful that the files arent used by other projects or you will get 'Missing Sample' errors.

• dmori
    Options

Thanks for the heads up on the renaming in sampling menu. Always learning new stuff :)

I'm away from my desktop computer for a week +, so will see if there us anything different in the wavs/send over a zip of a couple of files in the new year. Cheers