How to fix Komplete Kontrol VST2 after 3.0 update ?

Options
2»

Answers

• remedydub
    remedydub Member Posts: 20 Member
    Options

Exactly my sentiment and experience also.

some really moronic decision making going on at NI. I mean really!

I will continue using this software but solemnly swear to never spend a cent on it again

• JValter
    JValter Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

How many percent of the users do NI think reads changelog before updating Komplete Kontrol for the fact that it abandons VST2? I bet it is around 1-2% at maximum. This is so stupid mistake from the point of not thinking the products from the user’s perspective it hurts. Luckily I was going through old projects and found this nice little surprise. Bet many will not notice.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,639 Expert
    Options

Just stick with KK 2.9, you will be glad you did!

• remedydub
    remedydub Member Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I really don't think NI realise the gravity of what they have done.

In my experience nothing fixed this. Every project I have ever done in KK is now completely burned.

You can't "Fix this"

It should never have happened in the first place. It's mind blowing stupidity from the geniuses at NI.

• JesterMgee
    Options

I really don't think NI realise the gravity of what they have done.

It's called "progress" and it's not that they dont realise, they basically just don't really care how it affects others UNLESS there are statistics that say it will affect the majority. If you are in any way a minority, little care is given.

In my experience nothing fixed this. Every project I have ever done in KK is now completely burned.

No it isn't, just get rid of the V3 and reinstall V2.9. All I had to do was roll back and everything works fine as I still have many projects with VST2 plugins, like Air Music plugins which will never see a VST3 version to update to and of course I need the VST2 version so I stick with V2.9 for that and a bazillion other good reasons. I literally fail to even find a single GOOD reason to update to V3, it adds nothing for me.

• madstation
    madstation Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Does this mean I have to reopen every project that I've worked on in the past 6 years, save my presets in VST2...Then load VST3 and import them back?

• johnhlz
    johnhlz Member Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Man...i dont know if reading the forums is helping my confidence in my purchases the past few week, because im having the same issue with KK3 crashing in ableton and I just bought the kontrol s49- people shouldnt have to try this hard in order to make music.

sounds like its a problem with KK and VST3 and the work around is to use the VST2 until they decide to kill it for good? then arent all your presets gone again like the people above are saying?

Feels like returns are in order.

• Loser
    Loser Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

500+ projects all ruined thanks to these horrible NI updates. Would have to spend weeks switching out the VST2 for the VST3 if we want to work on any of these projects again. This is enough to make people uninstall for good and choose to stay far away from NI due to the unreliability / inconsistency of this software.

Some of us barely have enough time to work on music as it is and I would personally rather start a new project using old VSTs that have proven to be consistent rather than playing a game of roulette with KK and potentially losing my whole project.

The next update needs to fix this issue on it's own or at least include an option to keep the old VST2 content folder (rather than having to manually downgrade just to then upgrade again).

• BeeLee
    BeeLee Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I've tried this, and the most recent fixes suggested above... Nothing works for me.

If I duplicate tracks, or simply replace the VST2 not found to the VST3 version of KK, I don't have my instruments, presets and settings back to where they were... I have old projects in Ableton, I don't even know what NI instrument I was using back then. Should I consider it all lost?

At this point here's what I've done (I'm on Mac M1 Ventura OS):

• Tried to downgrade to previous versions of Ableton (currently on 11.3, downgraded to an old 11.2 version) - didn't help
    • Uninstalled Komplete Kontrol, restarted, installed the 2.9.6 KK, moved the VST2 file out of the folder, etc. etc. - didn't help

I'm really desperate here... I don't know what's wrong. I can't even tell if the issue is coming from Komplete Kontrol, Ableton, or both...

• rdalcroft
    rdalcroft Member Posts: 177 Helper
    edited March 6
    Options

You have to copy the settings over manually.

It will not automatically change the instruments over. Like if it's a kontakt instance, then you will have to manually select the instrument you used, and also the settings for that instrument.

so you need to open the vst 2 version, and use that as reference to copy over your setting for the vst3 track.

Same goes for Multi's Thats a nightmare.

It's a Pain to do. If you have a lot of tracks and songs, this could take you a whole day to do.

• aka
    aka Member Posts: 46 Member
    edited March 11
    Options

FIRST I HAVE TO SAY I AM SUPER ANGRY AFTER I HAVE SPENT $600 FOR THE UPGRADE AND GOT THIS TOTAL MESS. NATIVE INSTRUMENTS CREATED TOTAL DISASTER

Even if I recover the projects somehow, the amount of time I wasted already trying to get this fixed is not worth the money I paid to NI, and this time multiplied by the number of users affected is simply COLOSAL !

While I understand mistakes could be made while developing software, NI have not reacted properly to the problem which caused thousands of users loosing their work. No official "We are sorry", no pre

cise plan of action, no tools released to fix it, current version of NA keeps messing this up even more. I tried to remove Kontakt5 and 6 and NA keeps asking to install it.

I have created two trouble tickets through NI support - NO RESONSE AT ALL

Today I opened another folder, and another folder and another project and all of this is F-up! Last few weeks I was working on some new projects, not knowing that my old projects are screwed and now ended up with both KK vst2 and KK vst3 needed. While KK vst3 works (kinda OK), I am still unable to restore any preset from vst KK2.

I followed the suggestions to reinstall VST2 but no success. Then I have seen a suggestion to install most recent KK VST3, which did not fix anything. I have over 30 projects with over 200 tracks screwed ! Super pissed off, because I paid $600 for the recent upgrade to get all this mess. The biggest musical disaster ever. I have some projects started with KK vst3 (not being aware that older project will not open the KK preset anymore), so reverting entire system is almost impossible (despite I have backups).

Ableton has more and more limitations and falls behind every other DAW so I am switching to Studio One, but still have LIVE projects which I need to slightly adjust or modify for some reason and now every single one of them is f-up. It is not only that the things are not working, but also: NATIVE INSTRUMENTS SUPPORT - which sucks, sucks, sucks. Total mess in the files, folders, version etc and lack of clear documentation and explanation.

If the two version (vst2 and vst3) got separate from the ground up, there will be much less mess. Having KK mk1 keyboard and loosing entire supprot for it makes every one even more frustrated. I upgraded for one only reason that Kontakt 7 has ZOOM (as previously I was not able to read the screen at all). Even with this uypgrade KK zoon is absent and one has to do several clicks to get into Kontakt and change the Zoom setting (so this is barely half-of what user need).

This single little feature (which should be there 5 years ago) on the other hand made me loos ton and tons of time trying to fix NI mess now.

It looks like there should be separate guidelines to fix the mess for Ableton users.

[Edit by Moderator , OP already has a thread about the issues over here ] and [OP also made this thread today !]

• JesterMgee
    Options

Basically, yes, but this is also something you should be doing anyway since VST2 has been EOL for 2+ years now and warned of being EOL for a good 10+ years and certainly you should not be using VST2 on any new projects created within the last few years without good reason.

Or you can simply stick to the KK V2 software if you do not own an MK3 keyboard there is really no reason to upgrade. mac users tho have to run in compatibility mode so they should have been updating things to VST3 years ago.

You can then slowly work on updating all your past projects. It's a good time to clean your closet too, finished tracks just render off, note down all the instruments that were used on every track (as professionals should be doing in a track list record anyway) then in future you can just switch in something similar. Most professionals I know will always save out every preset for every instrument/effect as a backup too so they can easily reload it.

Tracks in progress you can easily switch out plugins or just make a decision that this project is never gonna be finished. Of course any time you start updating things like this you would (as you have always done) make a copy of the project as a new updated version. I like to add a _VST3 tag to the end of projects so I know that it is 100% VST3 compatible and updated

I covered an answer here for a duplicate post from the above user on the matter:

The thing to keep in mind is this is prep work we all should have been doing for the last 10 years as companies migrate to VST3 and for mac users, this should have been even more important to know about since VST2 is no longer supported on ANY new macOS system nativelly by any developer, you have to run in compatibility mode to get back to VST2 in most cases.

If you take some time and care, most of the stuff can be switched out and updated pretty easily. The key is to make sure you switch out BOTH KK and the loaded plugin BOTH for the VST3 versions but also, any other plugins and effects not loaded in KK also need to be updated in the same way as not everything migrates from VST2 to VST3.

The challenge is finding the same preset (which you can just save out the preset from the plugin before you switch it out to VST3) but also, if you have automation that can also a challenge because you need to know what was automated and what control position it was etc. This is what takes some time but it's 100% doable, thousands (including me) are working through and doing this exact thing, only personally I am also updating hundreds of thousands of NKS files for updated compatibility too so nothing is impossible.

Just takes a little patience and time to work through things and approach it with care before blindly updating things and digging yourself into a hole. Never trust a computer or software to EVER work for you from one day to the next. You should always have a way to go back if your move forward makes a mess of things.

If you have projects that used VST2, your issues are several being a mac M1 user especially since you seem to be oblivious as to the limitations around this on any new mac of the last 3 years...

macOS running M1 chips don't support Intel code natively and all software must be updated to work with the M1+ chips. THis was all at the same time that VST2 was announced by Steinberg as now being EOL and discontinued so basically all developers now decided they would no longer support VST2 as a format. THis is why many mac users (in the pro industry at least) are already prepared and updated because the issue has been years coming.

First, you need to be using I believe Ableton Live 11, unsure if V12 will even have any VST2 support for macu users anymore.

You then need to have KK V2.9 installed

You then need to be launching Ableton Live in Rosetta Compatibility mode which will affect performance quite a bit but allows the VST2 plugins to now load. From there, you do everything I have already explained.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,947 mod
    Options

@aka I have created two trouble tickets through NI support - NO RESONSE AT ALL

I've checked in our system and couldn't find any request regarding this. Do you have a request number so I could check? How did you contact support? Did you use anther email address? Did you use this typeform? https://bit.ly/NI_support_Kontrol

Your frustration is understandable but please give a try with our support regarding this issue before making assumptions of how much we "suck".

• cleo
    cleo Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

Hi @Alfonx

I am glad you have largely resolved your issues. Unfortunately, I returned to my projects after a hiatus, and stupidly downloaded the upgrade when prompted to.

I have attempted your track duplication advice, but since I create some fairly extensive parameter changes to the tracks I simply cannot replicate the sounds, especially with instruments that combine sounds like Hybrid Keys. The settings have disappeared from my tracks, so there is nothing to copy.

I am feeling incredibly devastated as I essentially have had every single project rendered completely uneditable, and I am hoping there is another way to recover my settings.