How to fix Komplete Kontrol VST2 after 3.0 update ?

Options
Ludae
Ludae Member Posts: 3 Member

Hey everyone,

I just made an update of a few things on Native Access 2 and now Komplete Kontrol is quite broken :

• The standalone app works (3.0)
  • The VST3 plugin works in Ableton (3.0)
  • But the VST2 plugin does not work anymore (stuck in 2.9.4) and shows the error message "It looks like your library is currently empty. Please click the button below to scan for your instruments and samples." (doing so does not solve the problem)

Problem is, it also affects all my older projects which means all instruments are now "unloaded", so i have lost all parameters within presets and if i do not remember what instruments i used i am screwed.

Do you have any idea if there are things to do to fix the VST2 version ? I'm fine with using vst3 for my newer ones, but i'd appreciate not losing all my previous work.

Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,594 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi all, a hotfix to address the VST2 issue is now available on Native Access.

As mentioned in the release notes, VST2 will be phased out in the coming months so it's recommended to switch to VST3.

Answers

• Ludae
    Options

Edit :

I tried downgrading back to Komplete Kontrol 2.9.4 and everything worked again, from opening the VST2 plugin to having all my parameters and instruments loaded in older projects

In case anyone needs it, here's a link where you can download the 2.9.4 installer : https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/17363/komplete-kontrol-s-series-mk1-keyboards-end-of-life/p1

• Kaiwan_NI
    Options

Hi @Ludae there's indeed an issue with KK3. It removed VST2 components :( A fix for this is coming very soon.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    edited October 2023
    Options

And I thought KK3 was VST3 only.

It uninstalled the VST2 here when I upgrade to KK3.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,771 mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

See my post here:

Feedback - Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Basically if you want to run both KK2 and KK3 on the same system you have to take into account the fact that:

a) they have separate databases (which is good as it means you don't lose anything you had before)

b) but they use the same plugin scanapp (which can be a problem as the scanapp is what enables KK to scan and integrate new or updated plugins).

Your KK VST2 plugin is trying to use the scanapp that was installed with KK3 but that version of the scanapp is only compatible with KK3 which is why you can't update the plugins in the VST2 version. If you want to run the VST2 version you need to reinstall the KK2.9.6 version first, then allow that version to rescan the plugins and that will fix the problem with KK VST2.9.6. If you then still want to update to KK3 and run that alongside the VST2 of 2.9.6 you need to backup both versions of the scanapp and switch between them as I suggest in the other thread, but it's not something I would recommend to users and I am sure NI would say this is not recommended.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi all, a hotfix to address the VST2 issue is now available on Native Access.

As mentioned in the release notes, VST2 will be phased out in the coming months so it's recommended to switch to VST3.

• rdalcroft
    rdalcroft Member Posts: 174 Helper
    Options

No its not!!

After updating I still have no VST2.dll in my VST folder. Do I have to install Komplete Kontrol 2 first then update? Could you not have added the Vst2 in the update file???

• Kymeia
    Options

What the hotfix does do though is address the problem I identified with the VST2 and VST3 using the same scan app, even though they were incompatible, so it does now make it easier to have KK2 and KK3 on the same system

• rdalcroft
    rdalcroft Member Posts: 174 Helper
    Options

OK, but they could have made it easier. I just had to downgrade, to get the VST2 file, then Upgrade,

There are issues though, Ableton does not like the VST2.dll as it crashes their plugin scanner??

• Alfonx
    Alfonx Member Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Holy cow!

I just opened my projects and all of my projects are broken because the vst2 is missing! What the heck?!

Can someone at NI please THINK ABOUT IT BEFORE they do such things????? Of course we NEED the VST2 Version. Whats wrong at NI?

Please can someone tell me this was a bad joke and NI will continue to deliver the VST2 Version (optional)?

Is there a fix?

• Ludae
    Options

Here's the fix, you need to

• get the 2.6 installer (last version available with vst2) available in one of the threads
    • install it
    • Locate the vst2 file
    • Put it somewhere else on your PC/mac (anywhere but on your plugins folder)
    • Update to latest version via native access
    • When it's over, put back the vst2 in its original location and it should work

Note that if you want to keep kk up to date, you'll need to move the vst2 file at every update iirc.

On a sidenote, I completely agree, this is definitely unacceptable

• Alfonx
    Options

Hi Ludae!

thank you! Yes, i finally found the support article (how to keep komplete kontrol 2 9 vst2 and komplete 3 vst 3 on your windows system) and will do this.

So the REAL Problem is we are dependent on the software! In 10 years they ask you:

Hey silly music producer! Why did you use vst3 you know there is already VST4…

So the main problem is there is no „auto migrate“ process. We musicians want to open the projectfile and do music and dont want to mess around with different vst versions and finally loose whole tracks/melodies because the plugin is not working anymore. I can’t see the name of the original plugin anymore because i only see vst2 is missing. I dont know which plugin was used nor which preset was loaded.

There should be automatic migration to vst3 when you open a project with vst2-plugins and the system has an VST3 Version installed. 

Perhaps the developer at steinberg have a solution but it seems the manufacturer of the VST-Software/DAWs do not support this….?!

• Kymeia
    Options

There should be automatic migration to vst3 when you open a project with vst2-plugins and the system has an VST3 Version installed. 

In principle there is, this is actually part of the VST spec. However it depends on the host developers and the plugin developer to implement it for it to work, and even then is not 100% perfect (sometimes there are problems with automation as automation IDs are rarely consistent between the VST2 and VST3 versions, and sometimes they even have different plugin names). Komplete Kontrol does support automatic migration for plugins loaded inside it (as NKS) as long as the plugins themselves also support it (I made a list of who does and who doesn't here https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/7554/plugins-that-support-vst2-vst3-migration-a-list#latest)

Many hosts do support it too but not all, Ableton live for example does not.

• Alfonx
    Options

Hi @Kymeia !

thank you very much!! Your list is great. Of course I'm disappointed that Ableton is lagging behind... 

• Ian Webster
    Ian Webster Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Right, ok, so VST2 gets phased out and... what? Do we then have a situation that means that our older projects won't work in the future? Or will there be a way to migrate everything from VST2 to VST3? Is that in development?

I'm in Ableton, so am I basically expected to painstakingly go over years of projects and replicate every single parameter in the new version? Because that's a really stupid way of making us hate you...

• Alfonx
    Options

Hi @Ian Webster

I know it all sucks.

BUT you can install VST2 here:

oh - i can not post links, because i am "new" to this forum - so you have to search for:

Article 14394517675677-How-to-Keep-Komplete-Kontrol-2-9-VST2-and-Komplete-Kontrol-3-VST3-on-Your-Windows-System

and follow the useful tipps of @Sunborn (comment 113946):

--

Uninstall the new version and go back to version 2.9.6 which still has the VST2.

• Open your project, and duplicate the tracks made with a VST2 version.
    • In the duplicated track, delete the VST2 plugin, and load the VST3 version.
    • Load the correct instrument (the same you used in the VST2 version).
    • Copy all other settings (Mixer setting, FX etc.), from the original track, the one made with the VST2 version (in Cubase, is just a simple click) and paste them to the new one, the one with the VST3 version.
    • Delete the original (VST2) track.
    • Save project.
    • Do the same for all your projects who have VST2 versions.

Finally, install the new KK version (3.0.3) and you are good for ever (eh, for some years at least). No non-working projects, no more VST2, no more troubles! 😊

---

I try to do this now (Ableton 11). First of all i would be happy to see my projects not brocken anymore. Just installed KK 2.9 and scanned my plugins/... it seems it good (just before installing KK 3).

OH YEAH! My Ableton projects are looking "good" now - everything looks ok! 😀😀😀

So i will try the suggestions of Sunborn to change the VST2 to VST3.... OR ccmpletely remove KK and use the native plugins (Diva, ...). But for NI own Instruments of course i always used KK....