How can I set up Maschine to learn the controls for Parameter Pages the same as in Komplete Kontrol?

Options
mtamayo
mtamayo Member Posts: 36 Member
edited July 2023 in Maschine

How can I set up Maschine to learn the controls for Parameter Pages the same as in Komplete Kontrol?

In Komplete Kontrol, there is an option available like the attached screenshot, that once you map an external MIDI controller (a controller other than Native Instruments) to the 8 knobs, it allows those same 8 mapped parameters to be mapped across all the parameter pages when you navigate through the different pages.

In Maschine, I've only been able to see that you can do individual MIDI Learn assignments via each individual knob, and not to where you only assign 8 parameters and then it automaps to all pages (like in Komplete Kontrol).

How can I make this same assignment in Maschine? My use case is that I'm using a Maschine Mikro MK2 (or this could also be the case even with a Mikro MK3 controller), and I'd like to have a third party MIDI controller with knobs to assign to the parameter pages without having to assign each one by one and having to use up several MIDI CCs.

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

KK's is more "open" than Maschine, probably because it was designed to be used in DAW's while Maschine was initially just a standalone app adapted to be a plugin later.

The procedure @Sunborn described is to have fixed mappings for external Automation/Control, it's not for having 8 knobs that adapt to whatever parameter Page you are in. Basically, any MIDI Controller can be a KK controller but Maschine requires a Maschine controller so it's a more "closed" ecosystem.

In short to have parameters pages you need to use a Maschine controller.

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,363 mod
    edited July 2023
    Options

I have never actually done that before because i don't need it, but i like to experiment, so here it is what i found. However the whole process should be confirmed (and maybe corrected) by an experienced Maschine users such as @D-One

So, here we go:

Step 1 - Go to the marked areas --> Input and select your external midi instrument. Do this for the Output too (though it might be not really necessary)

Step 2 - Then go in the marked areas of the next image (Macro section) and select MIDI.

Step 3 - Use Add (+) to add more knobs & sources.

Step 4 - After you add everything you need, go to "Automation" and use the Midi Learn function.

Step 5 - After assign everything, save it, though i am not quiet sure as what... probably as a Template Project that you can load it as your base, every time Maschine starts.

I hope that this works! :-)

• mtamayo
    Options

@Sunborn thank you for your comment and for looking into it. However what you described does not automap to all pages. From you example you didn’t actually load any instrument to test it out, but if you had you’d see that it doesn’t control anything since you didn’t map to any a parameters. If you try it out in Komplete Kontrol it’d maybe clarify what I was referring to. Thanks!

• D-One
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

KK's is more "open" than Maschine, probably because it was designed to be used in DAW's while Maschine was initially just a standalone app adapted to be a plugin later.

The procedure @Sunborn described is to have fixed mappings for external Automation/Control, it's not for having 8 knobs that adapt to whatever parameter Page you are in. Basically, any MIDI Controller can be a KK controller but Maschine requires a Maschine controller so it's a more "closed" ecosystem.

In short to have parameters pages you need to use a Maschine controller.

• mtamayo
    Options

@D-One Darn, that's a real bummer. Would be so useful if they activated this in Maschine as well. Where does one submit feature requests?

• D-One
    Options

Yeah.

You can create a thread here in the forum and tag it as a "feature request". Manage your expectations tho, attending feature requests is not a common thing to say the least.

• macchinista
    macchinista Member Posts: 31 Helper
    Options

You mean that black hole where all users' dreams go to die? LoL

No seriously, if you are satisfied with plugin control only, your best bet is to purchase a KK MIDI controller, for example an M32 keyboard. You'll have control of all plugins (including the internal ones), + effects. But you won't be able to control sampling parameters, macros, and a bunch of other things in the Maschine software.

• D-One
    Options

Yeah, I tried to say it in the most positive way I could, a hard task. 😂

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that, an M32 is a decent alternative.