Dev Talks: Native Access Startup Journey and Next steps

Options

Comments

• Dissekt
    Dissekt Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

The NTK Daemon isn’t yet installed as the 3.3.0 install appears to be failing at this stage. If the daemon can be run without Rosetta 2, its installer however seemingly cannot.

I know I could just install the NTK Daemon separately along with Rosetta 2, but I’ve managed so far without it and would hate to finally install Rosetta 2 after so long when a fix might be just around the corner. It would tie in so nicely with the very recent arrival of Reaktor 6.5.0!

Thanks

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,291 Expert
    Options

@Hayo_NI Once again, thank you for this “insider look” on how things work. It helps to understand better.

Even if what I understand (between the lines) is something I don’t like to much… Subscription WILL come. But I seriously hope it will really be “one more choice” for the users, and not THE ONLY choice.

I’m all about choices. And I’m all about truth. Being it what I like or not

• LostInFoundation
    Options

But if it will be the only choice, pleeeeease don’t do something like they did with iMaschine. Allow users who paid for their products to continue using them, even if you move towards something different. This would be a fair thing to do, and it will show your decennial users you are grateful to them, as we are grateful for what NI gave us in all these years, even when we complain about the mistakes done, the missing features or the missing opportunities NI let flow just beside bringing them to nowadays struggling stage

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,286 Guru
    Options

Conveniently keeping all of my preferred music making tools current and accessible is a HUGE part of staying focused in my creative zone rather than "tool maintenance". I am very pleased to see NA get this under the hood clean up and modernization.

I currently have owned Komplete CE for several years and I would greatly welcome some method to access interim version content via an add-on subscription as an option. Native Access could be crucial to this hope becoming real.

• Hayo_NI
    Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 278 mod
    Options

We're gonna support all purchase options. Whether you bought a bundle, a subscription, or a product, we're here to help you install them. No bias to one or another.

• Hayo_NI
    Options

Our philosophy is that at a certain point we cannot afford the resources to maintain outdated platforms/software, so at some point we cut support (dev resources, customer support investigations, etc.), but we never want to lock people out of their products. We'll make some more changes to the realm of product compatibility next year so that it all becomes clearer.

• Hayo_NI
    Options

Interesting suggestion. I've noted it down and will explore it with the teams in due time. Thanks!

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

This is exactly what makes the difference between how things worked before and how it is now (talking globally, not in this specific case).

BEFORE we used to receive our installation programs. We could insert our disc (or access our downloaded file), install our program and go. It was enough to keep a computer with the right operating system (even if maybe outdated) and the thing we purchased was “eternally” at our disposal.

NOW everything is dependent to the company’s will. We MUST have an internet connection, we MUST have an account. We MUST hope one of these days the company do not decide that a program is outdated and remove it from their servers making reinstalling impossible, even if we decide that for using this program we agree to keep a computer “frozen” to a working state.

As an example: some programs are working with an i3 computer(optimal? No, but nonetheless working), but now Native Access requirements states i5. So…the programs themselves would work, but the mandatory program that is needed just to install them not. Quite strange situation…This is ALREADY locking people with less powerful computer out of their products

My opinion? It was better before… Give us back our installation files (of a working program, tested and with bugs squeezed BEFORE launch as it was in the ancient days) and then you can also forget about us ☺️

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

Btw: the reports here in the forum about “NA doesn’t allow me to install the instruments”, “NA doesn’t update my products list”’ “NA doesn’t register my serial”, “NA tells me to locate an instrument it doesn’t even allow me to install” and so on are increasingly multiplying in these days.

I don’t know what is happening…but HURRY UP with these updates…things are getting critical at this point. And I’m afraid answers like “wait six month so you’ll have your perfect update” and “but now it will take you less than 10 seconds to have access to these problems” will become a new 14 juillet 1789…

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,286 Guru
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thank you for noting this. Having such an option would be a wonderful way to always have the latest NI software releases available for use.

Komplete CE could truly live up to its name... always complete!

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,199 mod
    Options

When you install Komplete from disk, it downloads the latest updates that are required plus other products that weren't on the disk. It'd be REALLY handy if those updates were written back to the installation disk so the next time an install is required the updates don't need to be downloaded. There's plenty of space left on the disk so storage wouldn't be a problem.

-- Mike

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,199 mod
    Options

After the unparalleled success Waves had with moving to a subscription-only model I'm pretty sure no developer in their right mind would remove direct product sales and support!

-- Mike

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

You are too optimist…many of them already did.

The difference has been made by Waves customers raising their voices…but here with NI customers it seems that every time somebody complains about things asked from years but still ignored, there is a bunch of people telling them they are just crying and that criticizing is not useful at all…

Even only using the word “ignoring” makes people jump at your throat…

• strigi
    strigi Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Dude holy smokes! Thanks for this! Also, a choice to uninstall I've wanted for a very very verrry long time, that's awesome! :) Nice work my friends!

This discussion has been closed.