Ask me anything: Kontrol S-Series MK3

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

I see some KK users that have little interest in Machine due it's limitations for creating many types of music.

How about putting a guitar fretboard on top of the KK MK3 too?

• ALDREAD
    ALDREAD Member Posts: 67 Helper

Definitely, but I think it’s a long way off ,tbh I don’t think it will come untill the next versions of the software .

• R_E_D
    R_E_D Member Posts: 36 Helper
  • nightjar

Ha.. funny. I've had several Maschine products.

My days of beat making stretch back to making oodles of 80's synth pop on a first gen Linn Drum..

• Hit-Man
    Hit-Man Member Posts: 25 Helper
    edited September 2023

This.

If you are a Maschine and Komplete Kontrol Keyboard user, you would know that the KK MK3 not having Maschine integration is BIG news and not in a good way. The KK MK2 tight integration with Maschine is one of the main reasons why I bought it.

• R_E_D

It's surprising then that you believe that Maschine is only good for 'beat making'. I promise you, it's not - the sequencer will allow you to write full songs in either patterns or fully linear fashion, with audio backing tracks or anything else you may need, just like a DAW. The ideas view is also absolutely amazing for song writing.

• nightjar

I did not say that Maschine was only good for beat making.. but it is fundamentally just an evolved drum machine... and by DAW standards, it is severely limited.

• R_E_D

And I believe many here are saying that's not quite true - it's far more than that. Whatever the case, if it's there helping others and you don't want it.. don't use it? Having extra features is not taking anything away from you, does it?

• Stormchild
    Stormchild Member Posts: 57 Advisor

Assuming we can still create custom MIDI templates, will they still be limited to a maximum of four pages of controls like the mk2? This limitation is the reason I skipped the mk2. My S49 mk1 allows me to create as many pages as I want (if there's a limit, I haven't run into it).

• Mavros
    Mavros Member Posts: 33 Member

Nice to put up a Post with this title but does NI ever give an answer to one of these questions? 😉

• Mavros
    Mavros Member Posts: 33 Member

Good question It is not very well documented. Also the maximum number of keyboard splits for the light guide in the templates is an issue in the mk2. If you try to map a drum set with many different instruments you never have enough zones but funny some NKS compatible do show more color zones than you can add in the template editor.

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 448 Guru

I don't think this will happen at all. Kontakt will not be hosting 3rd party VST plugins - I would bet a sizable amount of money on that.

KK is the window into NIs world, combining Kontakt, Reaktor and 3rd Party VSTs. If the plan were to dump it, they wouldn't have just built a keyboard that's integrated with it.

• ALDREAD
    ALDREAD Member Posts: 67 Helper
    edited September 2023

I didn’t imply Kontakt would host 3rd party vst , eventually it looks as if NI will give reaktor the same direct connection as kontakt ,as well as 3rd party plugins supporting it , if that’s the case , then kk won’t be needed as the host , unless you’re using unsupported plugins

• sacer11
    sacer11 Member Posts: 57 Helper

I am happy that I sold my s49 mk2 before the release of mk3.

Instead of Novation Sl mk3 which provides a hardware sequencer, arp and scale without software, Komplete Kontrol is total ******, on my high end system, it takes up to 4 minutes for loading, that is a real workflow and timekiller.

I also have a lot of user libraries from freelance soundlabs and have paid very much for the NKS preset eco system, which I have to burry …

Maybe I have to much plug-ins or NKS libraries, but since Kontakt 7, battery4, maschine2 and Komplete Kontrol take up to 4 minutes for loading the plugin, while Kontakt 6 takes 2 seconds.

Also the support isn’t helpful and worst service I ever experienced

there are some issues like the battery 4 missing sample folder, where it doesn’t save the new linked sample folder after updating, in the daw project. So you have to delete the plugin and open a fresh new instance of battery, for saving the current sample path. All these issues are very old and nothing happened in years - so I feel that NI has no capacity or interest of solving these issues. 

they have a big user base, but my experience with other developers is, that these issues get addressed. Maybe NI needs these issues from 10 percent of their customers, before they show activity to solve these issues…

with these issues and loading time of Komplete Kontrol I wouldn’t even use the new mk3 Serie, if I would get the new keyboard for free

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,629 Expert

does NI ever give an answer

Pay attention at the back! A date was given in the first post of this thread.

This discussion has been closed.