Ask me anything: Kontrol S-Series MK3

Comments

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,888 Expert

Yeah just saw the bold text in the OP which I didn't bother to read. Gonna be a lot of answers to provide, tho many of the questions are the same thing really

• Hit-Man
    Hit-Man Member Posts: 25 Helper

This!

The only reason I could see doing this would be if Native Instruments plans on discontinuing Maschine.

If a maschine user wanted to buy a keyboard midi controller to use with maschine, why would they buy a Komplete Kontrol Controller? The tight integration isn't there anymore.

I'm a heavy Komplete Kontrol and Maschine user. I difinently won't be upgrading to the Komplete Kontrol MK3.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

If someone is a serious Maschine user, I'd think they would prefer a full-blown, dedicated Maschine controller that is truly made for this purpose.

The Kontrol MK3 is envisioned as a controller for Kontakt instruments within a DAW with sophisticated expression and performance enhancement.

That is more than enough to get right with elegant "simplicity".

Better than trying to be all things to all people and pleasing none.

Maschine users.. get your own toys.

• R_E_D
    R_E_D Member Posts: 36 Helper

Many people do have both as they compliment each other amazingly in the same setup - almost like they were meant to ;) Please don't make false assumptions, everyone respects your lack of interest for Maschine, please be a good champ and respect other's needs and workflows. You may know better, no argument there.

The Maschine integration made this keyboard act like an actual music workstation. Some may not want that, but it doesn't mean it isn't part of other people's workflows and quite possibly the reason they chose this instrument in the first place.

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 220 Pro

That's right, so historically speaking, were KK MK1s and MK2s designed under a broader concept of NI ecosystem of products that supplement/work with each other. Remember back then, Maschine hardware was trending and all-mighty, they had faceplates, mikros, maschine stands and all.

OR do you see the MK1s and MK2s having Maschine integration more like an incidental benefit (why not both.png) and as a by-product of development over time.

Fast forward to today, NI chose to design the MK3 without aforementioned buttons or show a concrete plan for Maschine integration like before. As to what happens next - your guess is as good as mine. As a keyboard controller, I think the market is there to sustain what "preset seller" NI is offering - "so it's yet another preset seller device!". Whatever works for the company.

I am willing to forego the almost-there Maschine+ (I bought two) and take a new standalone with proper hardware specs this time if NI can get it right.

• nightjar

Good reply...

But Maschine users might want to wait a bit before they grumble too much about the S-series MK3.

Maschine will not be abandoned by NI...

I suspect that there will be more fun stuff to come.

• nightjar

And a seed is planted....

Direct Connection is new to Kontakt 7. Previously, Komplete Kontrol software was the only way way to get the NKS experience.

We chose Kontakt 7 first, as it’s our most popular product, but we plan to expand Direct Connection to many 1st and 3rd party products.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/13530175798045-Kontrol-S-MK3-What-is-Direct-Connection-

Imagine the new CPU inside the S-Series MK3 finding it's way into controllers for other NI product categories?

So stifle the grumbling Maschine users.. you'll get yours

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 220 Pro

The tricky thing here is the choice of word "Maschine" being muttered - as a software not being abandon may not necessarily mean not end of line for the hardware, if you know what I mean. HW is needed to sell SW you say (not you literally)? People say Maschine loosely but got to ask each time do you mean 2.0 software or hardware or both. Sighs.

• mmk_music
    mmk_music Member Posts: 40 Member

Glad to see someone else understand the weight of this.

• ALDREAD
    ALDREAD Member Posts: 67 Helper
    edited September 2023

maybe youve not use maschine and kk mk2 , and are not getting the level of integration it had .

kontack has direct connection, which means you can browse , use smart play etc without kk app , that was something maschine and kk could do , but you could a lot more , transport , mixer , mute solo , arrangement, ideas view , navigate the software , it was quite deep , plus you had extra screens if your keyboard was in a different place to maschine

I don’t think adding direct connection to maschine via the kk mk3 is gonna compete

• nightjar

I'm not suggesting adding direct connection to maschine via the kk mk3.

kk mk3 would not need to be involved at all

• ALDREAD
    ALDREAD Member Posts: 67 Helper

I think the plan here is to eventually get rid of the kk app , maybe keep it around for unsupported plugins

• R_E_D
    R_E_D Member Posts: 36 Helper

I am not seeing any 'grumbling Maschine user' here. I see some Komplete Kontrol users that happen to use their instruments to their full potential and some that don't.

• nightjar

Of course.. there has been a foundational change to Kontrol HW CPU communications stack that can spread to other platforms.

It is logical.

This discussion has been closed.