Reaktor high-definition display

13»

Comments

• KoaN
    KoaN Member Posts: 120 Advisor

I am also using an old 1080p monitor and a similar resolution on my laptop.

I have spent so much time in the past trying out new stuff and softwares,always thinking newer is better that i kind of have the opposite stance now "might be getting older as well..." I refuse to think i cannot do good things with my current setup so i will keep it as long as i can before upgrading and if my music sucks it's not because i don't have the right tools :p hehe.

But we are in the opposite situation here...a Reaktor update is as rare as a comet passing.

Given the speed developement i hope they are not going to spend another year updating the GUI and leaving everything else behind again....that is likely though as you said,everybody has higher resolutions now.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 3,009 Expert

GUI rework may be a lot of work, but I guess it will come one day... Probably next step after AS native and VST3.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 945 Guru

everybody has higher resolutions now.

Do they though?

Sure, there are folk with money to burn that must have the latest Mac pro with a gazillion femtopixels per/cm. Those folk like to make a big noise about having the latest tech, and get tetchy if they feel they are at a disadvantage after spending their wad. But there might be a much larger group of users who just use older stuff that still works and don't make a fuss about it. it would be interesting to know the stats.

IIRC Steam collect that sort of info, but gamers and musicians are not the same demographic, so we can't assume the stats are similar. Likewise for visual artists, it makes sense for them to have bleeding edge display tech, musicians - not so much.

Maybe NI do know. Are they farming system data?

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,314 Expert

everybody has higher resolutions now

Not me. 22" is enough.

• MvKeinen
    MvKeinen Member Posts: 41 Member

I'm at 1080 too. But would like to upgrade to 1440 at some point. But the monitor would have to be bigger also, so DPI wouldn't rise too much.

for me some other little things would be more important. Basically everything that makes working in core faster. There have been some improvements some years ago, do you remember when we weren't able to copy in- and output ports in core macros? Good old times!

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 945 Guru

So basically code reuse mechanisms that reduce the need for cut and paste. Like iteration and some form of reference/function mechanism... deja vu ;)

Imagine, you discover a bug or improvement in some low level macro. Then could upgrade all instances just by upgrading the master definition. That's how to make working in core faster ;)

It would also make the final code faster assuming the implementation was up to the usual NI standards. Less cache thrashing, so adding multiple instances of the same Block to an ensemble wouldn't cause such a large explosion explosion of cpu usage.

• MvKeinen
    MvKeinen Member Posts: 41 Member

yes, master definition mechanism would be great. Although there might be pitfalls and programmers would have to adjust their style to be able to use it. I'd love to see merging of arrays into a bundle like system with the same merge/override function like normal bundles. And being able to isolate an array from upstream changes in a specific part of the structure. Now I have to copy an array to isolate it from upstream writes. But all that might be too complicated and the iteration framework works fine for me.

• KoaN
    KoaN Member Posts: 120 Advisor

A few years ago i went to buy a monitor,i wanted more screen estate but it was very important i could still see my Reaktor ensembles well so i had to stay within a certain resolution,i went for 1920X1080 24 inches,this is perfect for me but i had to search a little and shop,it won't be long until everything new will be 4k and higher.

This discussion has been closed.