Apple M1 - NI

frawal
frawal Member Posts: 22 Helper
edited January 2022 in Tech Talks

The new Apple M1 processor came out 2 years ago, everyone seems to agree that it's a huge technological leap. Obviously unreachable for some... NI doesn't seem able or in too much of a rush to make its products compatible. Not a single NI product is M1 compatible yet, it's still relying on Rosetta 2... Also, macOS Monterey came out in late September as the newer version always does, we're now in mid January but more than 50% of their products are not yet compatible! With a little luck, it'll be fully Monterey compatible when the new macOS version comes out next September. In the meantime, they don't miss a beat to regularly put a new expansion on the market for 49 dollars. That should be plenty of money to pay for engineers to technologically update their products...

Tagged:

Comments

• Bertusoneee
    Bertusoneee Member Posts: 3 Member

There is not even a beta version available yet, whereas all other providers are either already running native M1 or have a beta. Ableton, Bitwig, Rekord and Serato all have native M1 support or at least a beta as native support. 

Maybe they're just waiting long enough to release M1 support as a paid update. 

I think a lot of people would be really happy to see some sign of life of native M1 support for Native Instruments programs.

• GoKeez
    GoKeez Member Posts: 79 Advisor

It is rather perplexing.

My guess is their dev teams are very small. Like, VERY very small. NI is notoriously slow. Now they have a new software/hardware version to develop and maintain (M+) so i doubt it improves anytime soon.

It’s been years since Maschine has seen major updates with clips being the most significant new feature added.

i guess quality over quantity or speed as it relates to updates?🤷‍♂️

• frawal

Well, money pays for effort so it definitely is a question of money

• GoKeez
    GoKeez Member Posts: 79 Advisor
    edited January 2022

I think two things can be true. While I agree that most people don’t know how much effort is required, it isn’t a consumers responsibility to know or care about that. Expectations for NI are consistent with what they charge for their products. They are world class, so world class is what is expected and certainly not always or even consistently delivered with respect to compatibility.

Ableton figured it out, so a users expectation that NI should have figured it out is valid.

That said, the majority of 3rd party Devs haven’t figured it out yet either lol.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod

Sure, the consumer can always request everything to happen in a day. However that is not really realistic.

Ableton really only has one thing to worry about (Live). NI has like a hundred of things to worry about, and they are not one unified codebase. Comparing the two is like apples and oranges, and not really realistic to have the same expectation.

• Tobsen
    Tobsen Member Posts: 6 Member
    edited January 2022

On the other side, the first M1 Macs are more than one year old and before their release Apple said, that they will switch, it's a long time. Also nearly all indie developer managed to have their apps ready shortly after the M1 launch … and another story: the first retina Macs came 2012 😉

• frawal
    edited January 2022

and while the M1 compatibility doesn't happen, they color their existing hardware blue or white and we're supposed to admire and buy these marvels as if it was the greatest upgrade ever? Come on, what do they do all day? While nothing happens at NI, the people working for Akai, Elektron and many others are wide awake and they sure don't waste their time repainting equipment... I am sorry for us customers, expecting M1 compatibility not in a day but in 2 years already and not seeing it coming...

• Edward Holland
    Edward Holland Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

NI having more code stacks than they can manage isn't a good look. The apples cost just as much as the oranges and I expect them to be just as good.

• Bertusoneee

I don't think anyone here expects the move to the new hardware to happen overnight. But the devices have officially been available to end customers for almost 1.5 years and the developer devices for even longer, so it is surprising that not even a beta is available. It's already a damn long time.

• 2bcool2
    2bcool2 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I bought a m32 .. Komplete Kontrol is not supported n my Monterey M! max , KK keeps crashing .. so I don't want to use it.

I can use the keyboard in mid mode ... sometimes ! .. some of the buttons don't work but the dials do.

my problem is when I start logic sometimes it will not light up any top left buttons ( browser/ midi/ track) .. great! everything wrks .. for the buttons it allows ..

but randomly logic starts up with m32 having the track button light up and mid does not work ..

does anyone know what command in logic or NI software I can delete or change to get it to either start up in midi light mode on , or no light at all ?

again .. I am not using KK or want to !! they don't support us m1 users ..

please help.. I have been trying to delete many files in logic and NI but nothing changes ..

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 210 Advisor

On the subject of some folks expecting n.i. To throw tons of money on rewriting everything for Mac M series which did not exist when most people bought their software, perhaps n.i. Should charge the whiners for upgrades to the new Platform. Seems fair to me.

• frawal

Whether it be free or not is not the issue. It must be made available first and that's what we worry about almost 2 years after the M1 came out. I'm afraid NI doesn't have much of a choice, Intel is now history for Apple.

• Bertusoneee

I would even be willing to pay money again for the new version if it had Native M1 and Retina support. What's the problem if it gives me added value? 

I mean we would only wish if more customer wishes were listened to. See for example Retina Support. How long has this wish existed on the part of the community? I think since the release of the Retina Apple devices. That's a real shame for a company that describes itself as an "innovative company with 400 employees worldwide".

• Tobsen
    Tobsen Member Posts: 6 Member

As far as I remember most of the products were there in PPC times of the Mac. They also did iMachine on iOS/ARM. So I don't think that they hav no knowledge or no platform independent code.

At least Komplete Kontrol should have happened for those using Logic etc.

This discussion has been closed.