Advice needed on moving to Kontakt 7

Options
tmpc
tmpc Member Posts: 77 Member
edited April 2023 in Kontakt

For the first time, I find myself interested in purchasing a Library that requires Kontakt 7. So far, the research I've done on this version of Kontakt (and NA 2) does not exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling; they both sound a bit buggy. So, I'm looking for advice / opinions on this.

The computer it will be running on is a 2014 HP zBook G2 laptop (Core i7-4910MQ 2.9GHz processor, 32GB of RAM, Samsung SSD) running Windows 10. I run Kontakt 5.8.1 and 6.7.1 on it with no problems.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Comments

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 468 Pro
    Options

Everything I've got runs just fine on my Windows desktop or laptop computers. I can't say I've had a single problem with any libraries whether from NI or non NI NKS compatible with either Kontakt or Kompete Kontrol. But then I read and follow all directions in the manuals when it comes to installing and using them, so there's that.....πŸ˜‰

Since you're coming from a much older version you may have some libraries that won't upgrade since Kontakt 7 is all VST3. But there's no reason you can't have the older version and newer versions both active.

• Monochrome
    Monochrome Member Posts: 1,132 Expert
    edited April 2023
    Options

One thing to note in case you aren't aware yet: Kontakt 7 specifically needs a Direct 3D 11.1 (Feature Level 11_0) capable GPU.

You may want to check your GPU via dxdiag, just to be sure. Otherwise, there will be no joy for you:

• tmpc
    edited April 2023
    Options

Thanks, DunedinDragon. That's good to know. Are you running the latest version (7.3.0)?

As for upgrading existing libraries to newer versions of Kontakt, I try to not change things. I was fine with 5.8.1. For me, upgrading to Kontakt 6 and now 7 is a PITA I wish I didn't have to deal with.

One other thing; do you know if I must use Native Access 2 to install Kontakt 7 and its libraries?

• tmpc
    Options

Thanks, Monochrome. I did find and look at the link you included, as well as the Kontakt 7 FAQ. I am at v12 of Direct 3D, so I should be OK.

• tmpc
    Options

Well, NA2 and Kontakt 7 are installed and working. NA2 seems to be a big improvement, but the way Kontakt 7 looks the first time it opens is a bit of a head scratcher. However, I'm sure I will get used to it.

One thing I don't like about Kontakt 7 is the need to open NA 2 to locate a moved library. PITA for me as I keep my computer offline and have to reconnect it so I can start NA 2 up. I ended up making these changes offline in Kontakt 6 instead. Why did they do this?

Anyway, thanks for the help on this.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 468 Pro
    Options

Yes on 7.3.0. I'm not sure about requiring Native Access 2, but I did start with installing that.