Maschine + standalone: Is there a way to move the playhead while on the mixer view?

badaz
badaz Member Posts: 36 Member

Hi,

I searched the Maschine + manual, the web and this forum for this but it seems it is just not possible to move the playhead while the hardware is focused on the mixer view in standalone mode. On the other views you'd do SHIFT + rotate the 4D encoder in order to move the playhead, however on mixer view this is already used for fine controlling the level of the selected track. I hope that I am wrong and that there exists a way, because it is just very hard to adjust the level of something like a single clip sound happening at the end of an 8 bars section for example. Does anyone know if I missed something in the manual, or else does anyone know about a good workaround for doing this?

Best Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

One option is to not use the Mixer Mode in the first place, you can just activate the Volume button next to the 4D-Encoder then hold a Pad/Group + rotate 4D to change the volume; simply changing the velocity of the note could also be an option, there's probably many others.

Or if you do want to use the mixer then simply loop the last bar of those 8, use SHIFT+RESTART, loop it temporarily and adjust the volume as it repeats, it might be even more practical than bringing the playhead back a bunch of times manually.

• badaz
    Answer ✓

Alright, I found the way to fine tune the loop position, start and end. First you have to define the arrange grid to your needs (it is one bar by default I think, you can make it more precise like 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16), then press and hold SHIFT + RESTART / Loop, while holding you can adjust the params of the loop visible on the left screen using the knobs. Thanks again for the hint ;)

Answers

• D-One
    edited October 2022 Answer ✓

One option is to not use the Mixer Mode in the first place, you can just activate the Volume button next to the 4D-Encoder then hold a Pad/Group + rotate 4D to change the volume; simply changing the velocity of the note could also be an option, there's probably many others.

Or if you do want to use the mixer then simply loop the last bar of those 8, use SHIFT+RESTART, loop it temporarily and adjust the volume as it repeats, it might be even more practical than bringing the playhead back a bunch of times manually.

• badaz
    edited October 2022

Thanks, I hadn't thought of the first solution which seems to be a good workaround.

About the second proposition, how do you get to loop on the last bar of a pattern (and not the entire pattern / scene) ?

• badaz
    edited October 2022

Okay, I tried the first solution which is in the end not very convenient since you have to toggle volume on, adjust, toggle it off, move playhead, toggle it on, adjust, etc.

Concerning the second solution, I did not manage to have a loop start at the end of a scene (I am on song view since I'm trying to adjust the volume of an isolated short clip) therefore I must always wait for the first 7 bars to play before hearing the part I want to adjust volume for. Not easy to mix something this way.

Adjusting the velocity of the notes is not an option since this really is mixing my sound and all of its notes.

• badaz
    Answer ✓

Alright, I found the way to fine tune the loop position, start and end. First you have to define the arrange grid to your needs (it is one bar by default I think, you can make it more precise like 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, or 1/16), then press and hold SHIFT + RESTART / Loop, while holding you can adjust the params of the loop visible on the left screen using the knobs. Thanks again for the hint ;)

• deep c
    deep c Member Posts: 16 Member

Hi,

Wondered if you could help,

I'm trying to move the play head in event mode to copy and paste midi note to the nest bar I'm using holding shift and rotating the 4D encoder but nothing moves,

• D-One

Not sure how that's possible. Are you sure you're on the Events menu? Standalone mode?

Make sure you have a Pattern or Clip active and set your Arrange grid value with Shift+Follow/Grid, as long as your Pattern/Clip is longer than the Grid value the playhead should move.

• deep c

Hi D-One,

Thanks for your reply, i'm tring to copy and paste midi notes same as in this video, put i can;t move the playhead ?

https://youtu.be/tVdJ5MAIngE

• D-One
    edited March 2023

Sorry but can't help when you don't answer the questions I asked or state if you did what was advised.

Assuming you have an MK3 (or M+ running in controller mode) and the did what i said in the previous post the only possible way it wouldn't work that I can think of is if you are using Maschine-Plugin hosted in DAW, in such case Maschine has no control over the Playhead, the DAW does.

• deep c

Hi D-one,

I’m running it inside Logic Pro! but working as a plungin but looking at the screen on the maschine…

I have set the grid value to 1/16, let’s say I’ve created a pattern that’s one bar long, I’d like to make it 2 bars and copy over the midi notes from the bar one to two (working inside the controller)

Im Trying to do this in the events page, Inside maschine …in the video she holds shift and rotates the encoder to move the play head to the start of bar two, which enables her to copy the notes..

hope this makes sense..