Looking for the perfect external storage for my music library to use while using Traktor Pro

Matt_Marshall
Matt_Marshall Member Posts: 4 Member
edited March 2022 in Tech Talks

hello guys,

because the hard disk of my laptop is full with all the music files, i want to move my whole library to a external storage. I want to play the songs in Traktor Pro directly from that new storage. Therefore, I just want to ask which kind of storage do you recommend?

Is there a good usb or sd-card? Or is the only option a external ssd?

thanks for your help in advance!

Comments

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Your best bet would be a good quality external SSD with a high transfer rate (USB 3 Or Thunderbolt connection). No recommendation on a specific brand/model, but would stick with a good Name Brand!

• Matt_Marshall

Thanks Blindeddie!

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro

What computer and OS are you using? It will make a difference for how you format your drive. Usually I swap out the internal drive with a new one that has more storage and keep the old one as backup in an external enclosure.

• Matt_Marshall

I use a Asus Notebook, currently still running with Win10, 512GB SSD

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    edited February 2022

You should find out what format will work best for you on the windows platform then. I'm not a windows guy but the best format for external storage that has the fastest response on new Macs is apfs. I don't know the analog format for windows.

The best thing to do would be to get a bigger ssd for your computer, fresh install everything and then move only what you need form the old drive and leave the garbage that degrades performance out. You'll find your computer will perform better because of it.

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

NTFS for Windows!

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

It also seems to me better to buy bigger internal disc for that notebook. It may be even possible, that there is free space for one more disc.....

External disc - one more thing to forget home, break and so.....

• Zolthar
    Zolthar Member Posts: 10 Member

I have my libraries on a Samsung external SSD (USB 3) and it's great, everything loads instantly.

• ScsSr
    ScsSr Member Posts: 2 Member

I have used both Windows and Apple products with Traktor, and the there is no one size fits all answer. It really depends on what you do most. If you are just trying to permanently relocate your primary music library, then size and location are important. If speed of access is your concern, local storage ALWAYS beats out external period. Anyone tells you different is clueless or has a bad setup. There are TONS of great tutorials on storage solutions out on Google. Take the time and do your research. Make the best choice for yourself.

BTW I use an eight-year-old ASUS laptop running Windows 10 with a really fast 2.5 Samsung SSD. Works perfect. The OS is stripped of everything that slows it down. It took a while to tweak, but it is by far the fastest laptop I own. Even beats the Macbook Pro 2019. (That will start a fight)

Happy learning.