How to skip Kontakt 7 in Native Access 2?

Danyx
Danyx Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited January 2023 in Native Access

Hi guys,

I just bought a new Mac Studio and I'm switching my plugins from my old Mac Pro. I'm a Komplete 12 Ultimate owner, and I don't want to upgrade for now.

Right now Native Access 2 experience is rather bad. I have several problems, I finally solved some of them (red flag location) but am still struggling with others.

So let's start with the main one: when I tried to install "analog strings", NA2 installed Kontakt 7. The point is I don't want to run Kontakt 7. I want to run my instruments in Kontakt 6 (which is apple silicon native).

So, is there a way to force the installation of the instruments in Kontakt 6 and skip that Kontakt 7 automatic installation?

(For now the only solution I found is to uninstall NA2 and run NA1 instead, seems to work but I'd prefer to work with "updated" products on a brand new computer)

Thxs

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 891 Guru
    edited January 2023

Danyx

I got burned by this too back in mid-October 2022 when I attempted to install a "new" (To me) piece of my then Komplete 13 ULT package - I suddenly noticed that Kontakt 7 Player was forced upon me within NA2.

Try as I might there was no way to install this piece of K13 ULT without allowing K7 Player to infect my install so I had to accept it.

It was shortly after that I discovered that my very stable and road tested Kontakt 6.71 was no longer available in Komplete Kontrol and as others have discovered - the existence of K7 started messing up existing projects due to the fact that a K6 instance that was used IN a project IN Komplete Kontrol - started erroring out.

NI needs to do wake up here and rework the process for ALL instruments they offer that have ANY possibility of a mid-stream upgrade.

I should - as a paying user - be able to have full control if (and when) I decide to install AND use a new version of any product within my Komplete package. Not have it forced upon me like this was.

I wouldn't be so bummed if K7 was actually worth my time - but as it stands right now - it's not. It's a slower, lifeless carbon copy of 6 (outside of that new Browser) and does not warrant any actual production time right now.

VP

• Danyx

Hi mate,

this definitely sucks.

I have to admit that working with Native Access 1 instead of 2 seems to work like a charm right now, Kontakt 6 did install without problem.

I'm really surprised by not having any feedback from the NI team on this thread... No option to skip Kontakt 7 in Native Access 2? Bad.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 891 Guru
    edited January 2023

I am sensing the lack of any NI participation is a direct result of them not wanting to admit to the userbase that they are not interested in supporting or even acknowledging those users that have had a sizable "work" investment in Kontakt 6.xx for years now.

It appears - at least to me - that as soon as a new version of one of their "big" players appears on the radar - they would rather force that new version into the user's world - and ignore the fallout later - without even the slightest thought as to how this "hard swap" might affect workflow AND especially any existing work that already contains instances of Kontakt 6.xx all over the place.

It's even more dire if the instances of Kontakt 6 in a project were nested within the Komplete Kontrol VST container - as Kontakt 6 is erased from existence within KK for me now - resulting in disaster when opening older sessions that I have done in Studio One. I cannot even replace the instances with K7.

Considering the worldwide industry standard use of Kontakt and the investment in it from thousands of users, vendors etc over the years - you would think that NI would actually think this through better.

VP

• Danyx

I agree, I compose a lot of stuffs that might be used maybe 1-2 years after I created them, and I'm always asked to change some parts of the arrangment. Having some plugins that just let me down when I reopen a session is just a threat to my work and credibility.

NI must take it into account...