S4Mk3 strange sound (flanged?), what is wrong connected/set ? FX1+FX2 are off!

The Sarge
The Sarge Member Posts: 125 Helper
edited January 2023 in Traktor Software & Hardware

Hello all,

I'm having problems with my Traktor Kontrol S4 Mk3 and I'm starting to go insane, so I'm hoping that maybe you guys see a wiring or settings error that I can't find.

Problems:

1. the sound sounds reverberant (flanged?)

2. the turntables must be played with full GAIN o.O

3. the status indicator EXT changes the display in Traktor to PHONO, but stays on LINE on the S4Mk3.

Setup:

Traktor Kontrol S4Mk3

Traktor Pro 3

external Steinberg UR22C USB audio interface

2x Omnitronic turntables

Target:

- mix with FLAC/MP3 files, RemixDecks, stems and vinyl

- switch complete tracks via deck A+B via EXT

- remix decks and stems via deck C+D

- record mix to hard disk (REC function)

Wiring:

- Turntable with phono input A+B, I'm surprised that the two ground cables are directly next to each other, so no separation by a piece of metal as with my old DJ mixer

- (S4) Main-Out RCA into Line1/2 inputs of the UR22C, plugs are plugged on unsymmetrical adapter RCA/jack, MONO switch of course OFF

- UR22C Main-Out to active loudspeakers, which have been working wonderfully connected like this for years

- S4 USB-Out connected to USB-Hub (own power supply) on PC

Settings Traktor Pro3:

Audio Setup:

- Audio-Device: Traktor Kontrol S4 MK3 (ASIO), 44.1kHz, Buffer 128

- Phono/Line Input Channel: not supported (no matter what I choose for Audio-Device, there is no selection here)

- Built-In Soundcard: Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO (ASIO)

- Multi-Core: active

Output Routing:

- Mixing Mode: Internal

- Output Monitor: 3 Headphone L, 4 Headphone R

- Output Master: 1 Main/Booth L, 2 Main/Booth R

- Output Record: not connected

Input Routing:

- Input Deck A: 1:A-L Line/Phono, 2:A-R Line/Phono

- Input Deck B: 3:B-L Line/Phono, 4:B-R Line/Phono

- Input Deck C: 5:C-L Line/Mic, 6:C-R Line/Mic

- Input Deck D: 7:D-L Line/Mic, 8:D-R Line/Mic

- Input FX Send (Ext): not connected

- Input AUX: not connected

Mixer:

Internal Mixing Mode:

- Enable Autogain: active

- Limiter Type: Transparent Enable Limiter: active

- Headroom: -6dB

- Apply Headroom to Channel Meters: not active

External Mixing Mode:

- Enable Autogain: active

- Limiter Type: Transparent Enable Limiter: active

- Headroom: none

- Apply Headroom to Channel Meters: not active

Global Settings:

Miscellaneous:

- Deck Focus: Hardware

Mix Recorder:

Source: Internal

Settings S4Mk3:

FX1 and FX2 the leftmost knob (D/W?) is turned all the way to the left

I hope this is all the helpful info

most of all I'm bothered by the strange sound, but also that there is no headroom for quieter vinyl, since I have to set it to MAX GAIN now

am glad about every hint

thanks in advance

The Sarge!

PS: don´t know why the editor makes so much space between all the lines 🤬

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

Best Answer

• The Sarge
    Answer ✓

problem solved!

when different programs are working in the background together without letting the suer know that they do, than you can get this disturbing reverb-FX I had to listen to the last days :(

I had to:

change inside the Preferences: the Audio-device in the Traktor Pro-Software to "Traktor S4Mk3 (ASIO)" which was clear to me, but change the in-built to "Yamaha Steinberg USB (ASIO)" , and not "Traktor...(ASIO)"

and also to turn the Yamaha-extra-software called "dspMixFx_UR-C.exe" into the "0 Initial Data"-preset

now everything is clear-sounding music from my DJing

thanks to everyone who helped me, especially Dom Sigalas 👍️

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,216 Expert

Lets minimize the setup, just for debugging purposes:

With vinyls the mk3 can work standalone. Try disconnecting the USB, turning the controller on, shift press the ext button for phono in on the correct channel and see if that works. All without traktor.

If that stills sound weird try connecting the speakers directly to the mk3.

• The Sarge

thank you, but showing new problem:

I disconnected it from USB, turned it on, pressing SHIFT and EXT-A to Phono and I hear it a bit over the speakers but much much lowered volume that I can´t figure out if the flanged/reverbed effect is on it or not, sorry. Maybe the turntables are bit angry for not using them for over 11 years...

but after reconnecting to USB and starting Traktor Pro:

I changed the Audio-device to "Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO (ASIO)" and then the reverbed effect was gone, the heard volume out of the speakers was same level as with Maschine or Cubase 🤩

but: there´s no more LED-level on the main-out at S4Mk3, nor the main-volume-knob has any function 😥

maybe that info helps someone to "see" where the problem could be 💡

• The Sarge
    edited January 2023

tried now just the speakers to Kontrol S4 (without turntables, but with USB->TraktorPro3), used Audio-Device Kontrol S4 (ASIO) and intern also Kontrol S4 -> everything as it should be

thank you very much @lord-carlos but:

so I´ve "only" to find out, why it isn´t usable with Steinberg UR22C connected between it, because I now don´t hear anything from Cubase/Maschine, clear: without speakers connected

don´t wanna disconnect/connect every time from Traktor to UR22C and back :(

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,098 mod

It sounds like you've got a delay somewhere that's being mixed back with the original sound to give that phaser/flanger effect. The UR22C has direct monitoring - is that enabled? If so try turning it off.

-- Mike

• The Sarge

thanks @mykejb

"loopback" (this is direct monitoring, isn´t it?) is in "dspMixFX_UR-C" disabled - didn´t make a difference

looked in Cubase: "direct monitoring" wasn´t enabled, turned short on than off again, quit Cubase, no difference

😥-> 🤬

did someone know something like a cinch-router? a hardware-box where I can switch if UR-C or Traktor goes to the speakers, in the early 2000s I had something like this for my screen where I could switch if PC1 or PC2 was shown on it

• The Sarge
    Answer ✓

problem solved!

when different programs are working in the background together without letting the suer know that they do, than you can get this disturbing reverb-FX I had to listen to the last days :(

I had to:

change inside the Preferences: the Audio-device in the Traktor Pro-Software to "Traktor S4Mk3 (ASIO)" which was clear to me, but change the in-built to "Yamaha Steinberg USB (ASIO)" , and not "Traktor...(ASIO)"

and also to turn the Yamaha-extra-software called "dspMixFx_UR-C.exe" into the "0 Initial Data"-preset

now everything is clear-sounding music from my DJing

thanks to everyone who helped me, especially Dom Sigalas 👍️