DJM 800 send & return + Ableton

EXVRCH
EXVRCH Member Posts: 21 Member
edited November 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

I have already looked through several topics on various forums where people had an identical problem and I did not find the answer in them. What I'm trying to do: by routing (1/4 jacks - rca) through Audio 10 1/2 channels out and input create a track in Ableton with 1/2 in and route it to return channel with PSP42 delay with 1/2 out; (I also tried to create just one clip with PSP42 and 1/2 in, out) When its done on DJM800 I set two encoders at the snd / rtn and master positions respectively, then raise the level / depth encoder to the 12 o'clock position or max, press the button ON, I send some sound and get nothing at the output. Another way with outputting 1/4 jacks to mono mic jacks works, but I'm wondering why the snd / rtn channel is not.

Tagged:

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,968 mod

Hello,

have you followed that instruction? Using external audio effects – Ableton

• EXVRCH

hey, I tried to follow that instruction but its dont work at all. Tried to use ext aud eff on return channel, affecting gain signals - 0 reaction, in ableton has sound on mixer no

• Uwe303
    edited November 2022

You should not use send on the return channel, that way you could create a feedback, i also can't see a sound source, a audio channel where you use send to test with some signal. Additionally you use 1-2 for main out but also want to use it for the send FX send, that will not work. On the return channel you've set also send only - but it is the return channel!! As I said turn send down on this channel, this channel has only to go to the master out. But before you have to divide send and master out, maybe master out 1-2 but send 2-3 out, for return you can leave 1-2.

• Uwe303
    edited November 2022

Ohh and i see you mixed even both methods, you can use the insert like seen in your picture left bottom, but then you don't need to setup the send return thing. Just use the insert plugin method, you can then of course insert it in a FX channel. Or you use the second method - but both + your wrong routing.....

Maybe we first start with your setup without that PSP FX, i guess your speakers are connected through 1-2 out on the traktor 10?

• EXVRCH
    edited November 2022

What I actually trying to do is to emulate my DJM FX channel as return channel (like as XONE mixers). I have mapped knob to SEND sound but in my case I sending master not an individual channel. When I setup this things as stated in that instruction I dont even get wet sound back to DJM FX channel. I dont using 1/2 out to my speakers (2nd screen). I use 1/2 in out for send and return.

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 227 Pro

Have you selected the individual channel that you want to send/return on using the FX Channel Select knob on the DJM800?

• Uwe303

if i now understand you correctly you simply set it up like that, put the lexicon in the audio channel and set it all to wet signal

• EXVRCH

1) This routing is not what I need because the effect cannot be controlled since it is permanently enabled but I tried it again

2) It doesnt work. I have all flashing volume meters in ableton and on Audio 10 but FX ch is silent.

3) In the end, the only way to solve this problem is to use mono mic plugs as return channels. Because apparently internal routing is done in such a way that is not set up to do this.

4) Check this video to understand the idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FMRfQuhwQU in DJM 800 case ableton routing done bit differently for this method

• Uwe303
    edited November 2022

FX parameter 2 (LVL/DEPTH) is return level in send/return mode, if the manual is correct, so you can control the FX volume. You could also learn a command to mute the FX or use midi to control it.

• EXVRCH

no matter in which position LVL/DEPTH knob is - NO SOUND on return. About midi control this would make sense if all those body movements worked.

I think this thread can be closed