Would this setup work? Technics SL 1210, Pioneer CDJ-350 and Allen & Heath Xone:42

Nick Blanc
Nick Blanc Member Posts: 12 Member

I haven't DJ'ed for a long time (10+ years) and want to keep the dust off my equipment. So here's my old setup:

2x Technics SL 1210

2x Pioneer CDJ-350

1x Allen & Heath Xone:42

I want to combine my old vinyl and MP3/CD collection with Traktor DJ Pro and timecode (vinyl or CD or both, not sure yet). I have a Focusrite interface to connect it all. I want to add a Kontrol X1 for hands-on control of Traktor. But I'm a noob with timecode. How can I load a timecode CD/vinyls in my CDJ's/SL's and make it work with my computer? And can I?

Tagged:

Comments

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 994 Guru

a Focusrite interface

Which one?

• PK The DJ
    edited August 2022

I guess you could use the CDJs to play timecode CDs, as the output is line level and would feed into the Focusrite.

Dedicated vinyl timecode interfaces (standalone or internal to certain mixers) have RIAA phono level inputs, which your Focusrite doesn't have. The Xone has turntable inputs, but no way to send those individually to the computer.

• Nick Blanc

You see, here is where my noob aspect comes into play. Where would that leave the Xone? I have the outputs of the Xone connected to the FC and still want to use that mixer. Not the cdj's directly into the FC. Or am I not understanding you?

Sorry I'm still a bit baffled by this.

• boredatwork
    boredatwork Member Posts: 12 Member
    edited August 2022

Long post warning, I hope it helps.

I think you need to think clearly about what it is you want to acheive.

1: Do you want to use CD350s with time control CDs to control traktor based audio (mp3s/wavs)

2: Do you want to use your TTs with time control vinyl to control traktor based audio

3: Do you want to use your CDS and / or TTs to play actual (audio) cds/vinyl.

Whatever you want to do your mixer will route the output from traktor to your amp/speakers. It can also route the output from your cds/tts to your amp speakers. BUT you can't route the control signal from either your CDs/TTs via your mixer to your audio interface, so you'll need to split off the output to feed the audio interface if you want to do that*

IF I were you and you didn't want to add to the equipment you had I would..

a: use the CD350's with timecontrol cds as the controllers for traktor based audio. NEVER USE THEM FOR AUDIO CDS. route the output of the CD to the soundcard and the output of the soundcard to your mixer.

b: use the turntables for only playing Audio Vinyl NEVER USE THEM FOR DVS, route the output of the TTs to the mixer as normal, in effect they are separate from your Traktor install.

This way you handle all your digital music via traktor but retain (imo) the real benefit of vinyl ..the sound. Unless your desperate to scratch in Traktor this should give you maximum facility.

That all said, if I were you I'd think about what you're really trying to achieve and consider additional kit (a xone 43:c for example) that allows you to do everything you wanted in any combo for example. And of course you could split the outputs but that becomes a combination too complicated for me to do without a diagram and a cable nightmare...but know it is possible. there are some mixers that will 'split'/route the audio for you to send a control signal to the interface - the dj tech tif springs to mind but you'll have to check how that works as they usually only do that for the vinyl input.

*you could just listen to your audio via the input mode in traktor but imho that doesnt sound great and certainly for vinyl defeats the point of playing vinyl

• PK The DJ
    edited August 2022

Not the cdj's directly into the FC

To use timecode, the audio from the CD (which has the timecode signal) has to go into the Focusrite first, to get the signal into the computer and Traktor, which then tells Traktor to play the normal audio file - the output of which goes (via the Focusrite again) to the inputs of the Xone.

I just found this:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000509157-TRAKTOR-PRO-3-Timecode-Setup-Guide

• Nick Blanc

This clears things up for me. Thanks guys! I was wondering how the control signal would work, but of course it has to be outputted and then the audio has to go back in.

I will weigh my options.

• Nick Blanc

I want to use option 1 (cdj's with timecode, tt with vinyl). This sounds reasonable.

I'm not buying a €900 mixer for something I rarely do (and my X42 works perfectly fine). But I do enjoy it, so a little investment is fine. I'm using all my current inputs on the FC for other gear, but a second audio interface just for this setup would be fine. I'm a windows user so I know I can't use 2 interfaces simultaneously, but that's ok. That second soundcard should have 2 stereo in- and outputs right? 2 CDJ's going in (stereo) and 2 signals from traktor going out (stereo). Does NI have a solution for that?

• PK The DJ

I've just read that the inputs can be switched between phono/line using software config, so you could use CDs or vinyl timecode.

• boredatwork
    boredatwork Member Posts: 12 Member

Hi.. just seen this so hope the response is still timely.

Ofc your financial decisions are your own I wanted to give some options rather than a shopping list. fwiw a djtech tif is about £100 (least it used to be) although i can't imagine it sounds as good as the A&H

For my DVS with analogue mixer I use a traktor the original Audio4DJ that came with Traktor back in the day. Ebay shows a few currently at about £25 so that might be a cheap way to run this option and leave you DVS open.

Otherwise, yep and 4in/4out soundcard should do the trick - obviously one with phono in might make life easier than having to use phono/jack cables or adaptors.