Timecode record releases

TeLLy
TeLLy Member Posts: 71 Advisor
edited February 2022 in Traktor Software & Hardware

As a longtime timecode user on Traktor and an even more longtime vinyl collector, I've thoroughly enjoyed chasing down and collecting the timecode record collaborations, such as Superseal, Bully Breaks, Desolat, etc. I think some of those even made their way through the Native Instruments web store, though the majority I've ended up getting through Thudrumble.

I feel it would be nice to see more of these limited edition collabs available, especially directly through NI's store. Not to compare with the "other guys" but SSL does have a ton of cool ones floating around so it's conceivable a small subset of Traktor DJs would be interested in 10" and 7" timecodes too.

To NI staff, if you come across this one, can you shed light on the process for getting a timecode record cut? Obviously licensing etc is an issue but what else would a small collective of DJs need to do to produce a run with NI's blessing? Have a small but talented group here who would jump at the chance to do something a la Superseal 7000 with timecode on one side and samples/breaks on the other.

Comments

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro

I still buy vinyl and wouldn't mind grabbing some Traktor collectable ones also. More stores are stocking up and selling records these days even Indigo sells records now which I'll be using my over a year old Indigo gift cards for.

I don't think much people use Traktor dvs anymore. The last time I did was just to see if it worked with my mixer on windows and to see if it worked on my M1. My TT's needles and weight are now set religiously for real vinyl playback for self gratification and sampling.

• TeLLy

Definitely a niche market here, I'm not so naive as to think EVERYONE will want this limited-edition vinyl concept I'm dreaming up. But just as NI has gone and made some (very nice) limited colours on their hardware, some people would like to collect and maybe even use these records. I have all the limited releases all the way back to the 45rpm 7" timecode that came with the Korg Zero (thanks again @Karlos Santos), and one of each remains sealed for locked-in freshness. Again, I see Thudrumble selling out of most of their SSL timecode limiteds, and they're no stranger to Traktor stuff either.

Obviously there are ulterior motives. I can't find Superseal 7000 anymore and I prefer to use my portable turntable with Traktor ;). So I need more 7" timecodes....

• Wyley

I'm pretty sure if you have the $ you could get 7" timecode custom made lol. Cutting down the 12" is an option but can only be used in relative mode.

Timecode now costs as much if not more than albums. 😢

• TeLLy

You only get like a minute of playtime with a cut-down timecode vinyl, which if times get tough and I get desperate I may resort to - I only cut with like 15 seconds of sample per session anyway.

The custom-made path is fraught with legal obstacles, no one of any skill or repute that I've asked will cut a Traktor timecode record due to the licensing, plus you would need a nice clean timecode vinyl signal wave file, which is totally different from even a ripped timecode CD signal.

There are other, even more primitive avenues I can go down, plus there's always Phase (drift...ugh). The fun is brainstorming ways to get there!

• Wyley

If you wanna learn about the properties of phase this will give you a good idea. youtu.be

This is as far as I can go to reduce the size of a Traktor timecode setup. In absolute mode I can use the hotcues on the deck to mimc hotcues in Traktor. The thing is when you load a new track you have to erase and set new ones.

Forgive the orientation. It was normal before I dropped it in.

When I plug the amx into Serato I get hid on the deck via usb with no need to plug the in the rca cables.

• TeLLy

Oh man that looks so slick, I always loved the Denon CD decks. I showed you my 7" setup with F1 already and I may switch that to a D2 and throw it all in a flightcase for all-in-one briefcase scratch action.

I'm ready to pull on Phase but the drift I hear about online, and the fact that I ONLY use Traktor, is keeping me from it. Also I need new brakes.

• Wyley
    edited January 2022

I tried it out for fun. I would never use it that way with Traktor though unless it gets Native support only with Serato.

Your set up look fun and probably more practical from a showing off your skill point of view. I can't wait to see your finished setup. You were always good at modding and arranging things.

The Denon is a keeper for sure.

If you can find an Akai Amx I recommend it. I paid $99 at Long & McQuade and drove all the way to Cobourg to pick it up. It's the best money I ever spent on dj gear and it works with everything.

• TeLLy

Actually I'm planning a small cartablist setup for shows and meets, where I can cut and mix from the passenger or trunk, and thanks to the setup pic above, the Akai now figures huge into it. I'll keep you posted on that!

• Wyley

Check this out.🤣              Dj Avilés - First Scratch w Crosley 3" + Phase Dj + Akai Amx ( w Serato Dj Pro)       This is almost the smallest dvs setup I've seen all he needs to do is replace the laptop with an iPad running DjPlayer Pro and you have a winner. I also see people using what look to be the same portable tt that you have. Too bad it isn't and actual mixer. If it was scratching would be nice and tight.

NI should release a dvs version of the z1 for sure.

• TeLLy

DVS Z1 would be my jam, esp if we can get an Innofader in there. A pair of 7" decks, a laptop, portable speaker and a Z1MK2 would be it for a tiny mobile setup - could fit that all in a record crate or a large record bag.

Who do I talk to at NI design to make this happen for us? I've got nothing but time and an iPad full of shabbily sketched and poorly-documented ideas.

• Wyley
    edited January 2022

I think you missed this x1-users-we-want-to-hear-your-voice.451231.

Looks like things are in the works and NI usually brings new things out around Feb time. A lot of the add on controllers are due for a revamp so hopefully a dvs Z1 will make an appearance. I'll get one for sure.

Ecler is back in the mixer game now and is supposed to show a new mixer off in feb too.

• TeLLy

LOL yup totally missed that one.

I'm down for an Ecler, a HAK380 is still on my grail list and I think I still have that NUO4.0 with the Audio8 inside it somewhere.

• Djtwok
    Djtwok Member Posts: 5 Member

Now there were some limited vinyls released and they are all sold out :(

• cymatic
    cymatic Member Posts: 2 Member

I would be ever so grateful if any kind sole had a 7" Traktor timecode they would part with?

🤗💸👽️