Native Access can't download installers due to hard drive space

dsr
dsr Member Posts: 11 Member
edited March 2022 in Native Access

I've allocated an external drive to be the default location for everything in native access preferences, however it's telling me I don't have enough room to download installers. I've set the correct preferences for installer, content and application to be an external drive with over 1TB of free space. I've restarted the app as well.

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Even if you are installing to an External drive, the process requires enough free space on your system (internal) drive ...

Native Access Error Message: "Installation has been prevented. You do not have enough free drive space to install the products." – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com)

• dsr

That's weird, since the preferences allow you to specify an external drive for the download location.

• dsr

And it puts me in a bind of never being able to install the Kontakt factory library which is 23 Gigs. My computer is pretty full. I have always downloaded to an external drive for this reason.

So, what is the download location in preferences for ? Makes no sense to me.

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

It is actually slightly misleading, but it's the "installation process" that requires temporary free space on the system drive regardless of where the file is downloaded to... Now this is my understanding, but maybe @Jeremy_NI can confirm my understanding.

• Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 231 Advisor

Blindeddie is correct. The system drive indeed is used for the installation process and aim for at least twice the size of the file you're installing for the unpacking process. This problem came up numerous times in the old forum. The work around is to install one thing at a time, and if its a large file like you say then you'll need to clear some stuff off of your system drive. Its recommended to have at least 25% free on your system drive for this very reason. Your OS needs elbow room to move. If you're on a Mac, you'd want to check out also TM which can store local snapshots which can really hog space.

I have K13 UCE and theres really large files involved. My internal drive is 500GB SSD about 20% full. I downloaded one thing at a time and never faced one issue.

• dsr

So the download location in Native Access is meaningless, since it doesn't actually work. And my usual work-around for having a pretty full laptop internal drive is also rendered impossible using Native Access. Which means Native Access completely sucks.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod
    Answer ✓

@Blindeddie Yes, you're right, it's a little confusing but you got it right. The installation process requires temporary free space on the system drive regardless of where the file is downloaded to.

• petereadman
    petereadman Member Posts: 1 Member

Thought I'd join this. Anyone ever find a workaround for this? I'm trying to install Audio Imperia 'Chorus' which runs on Kontakt and requires nearly 70GB of system HD space to install, regardless of final destination of all files. Rich @ NI sent me the .iso link to download but the installation process still requires the 70GB of space on the system drive which I don't have. I appreciate needing a bit of headroom, but 70GB is 30% of my system drive, which seems a bit steep for temporary space. I honestly don't think I can free that up without seriously messing with my current file system. Bit frustrating that there's no warning at time of purchase that 'you'll need 70GB available no matter what so don't buy this unless you are able to sort that!'

• dsr

I'll agree/re-iterate. Please address this issue, NI. Producers need the ability to keep their sample libraries on external drives. It's a no-brainer.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

Hey @petereadman the workaround is indeed to get a download link from support. I see that the solution from Rich worked out for you in the end. Seemed like there was a small misunderstanding with Mac's destination settings when using the installer from support.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

@dsr Happy to share that a new version of Native Address did address this issue. When you set the install location to your external, there's no need to free the space on your system hd anymore. ✌️ This new version will be available soon!

• dsr

When will it be available? I have libraries that I've paid for and own that I cannot use. So it's great to be heard, finally. But until I have it in my hands, it's just a promise.

• Ryan_NI
    Ryan_NI Customer Care Posts: 191 mod

hey @dsr - I've sent you a DM.

• MAEKM
    MAEKM Member Posts: 2 Member

Hi, i still have this issue. Trying to install a Library i just bought on external Drive, But native Access complains about Not enough Space on my System Drive…

• MAEKM
    MAEKM Member Posts: 2 Member
    Answer ✓

Fixes it. I thought native access updates automatically. Downloaded it again and that seemed to do the trick.