Installing NI access and all sounds on external HD

CG84
CG84 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited June 2022 in Native Access

Hi Im quite new to native, just bought a new Mac and I need to download the access and all sounds etc, now my question is can I just download all this and run them from a external hard drive with no issues or do I have to use the main operating system HD? Many Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    Answer ✓

You can install content (Kontakt Libraries and Expansions) on an external drive (recommended as far as I am concerned). I would suggest getting an SSD drive and installing there by setting the content location within Native Access Preferences to point to the Ext. Drive. (NOTE: you can move things after the fact) couple things on the drive.

Again, an SSD drive is recommended as libraries load faster from an SSD.

when setting up the external drive, make sure to reformat it (for your OS) before installing as it will come formatted ExFAT (for cross OS compatibility) but is not recommended for Kontakt Libraries.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Answer ✓

You can install content (Kontakt Libraries and Expansions) on an external drive (recommended as far as I am concerned). I would suggest getting an SSD drive and installing there by setting the content location within Native Access Preferences to point to the Ext. Drive. (NOTE: you can move things after the fact) couple things on the drive.

Again, an SSD drive is recommended as libraries load faster from an SSD.

when setting up the external drive, make sure to reformat it (for your OS) before installing as it will come formatted ExFAT (for cross OS compatibility) but is not recommended for Kontakt Libraries.

• CG84
    CG84 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hi thanks for the help, I will look into a SSD drive, Thanks Again

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,003 Guru

If you check out the NI support pages, they suggest a mix of the two.

• Blindeddie

Yes, that is why I only recommended the “Content” location be set to the External drive.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,003 Guru

Your reply wasn't there when I wrote mine...

• Blindeddie

Ahhhh...the old Post at the same time syndrome...no worries!

• stephenrandall
    stephenrandall Member Posts: 5 Member

Can NI library content be stored on multiple SSDs? If so, how? I have maxed out a 2Tb SSD and would like to use another 2Tb for the remaining libraries.

• Blindeddie

Just change the content location in NA Preferences to the new location for the remaining libraries. Once installed, any updates made available will use the current install location.