Traktor Pro 3.5.3 & Youtube/Winamp/VLC - Conflict!!

Prakash Wadhwani
Prakash Wadhwani Member Posts: 8 Member

Hi !!

I'm using Win 10 (fully updated). Just installed Traktor Pro 3.5.3. It works fine.

However, while Traktor is playing (or even open), if I try to play a song in Winamp or VLC player they both aren't able to play the Sound. It's as if Traktor has locked usage of the Sound Card in an exclusive mode.

This is very disconcerting as during my events I always use 4 different players ie Traktor, Winamp, Mixmeister & VLC for different purposes. If I shut down Traktor I can play all the other 3 apps and the audio is faithfully reproduced and overlapping.

In my previous installation on my other laptop running Win 8.1 ... Traktor Pro 2.9x works smoothly and flawlessly alongside all these other apps without exclusively locking the soundcard.

Would really appreciate some help here. If this doesn't work I'll be forced to move back to Traktor Pro 2.9x :(

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sunborn
    Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,322 mod
    Answer ✓

Basically, is your sound card multichannel?

If yes, then you have a wrong audio configuration on Traktor. Open audio settings and choose a non-exclusive configuration, such as ASIO or WASAPI (Shared Mode)!

If no, then there is nothing you can do! Except of the solution of a virtual mixer such as the Voicemeeter or something similar... or (plus) a Virtual audio cable.

Answers

• Sunborn
    Answer ✓

Basically, is your sound card multichannel?

If yes, then you have a wrong audio configuration on Traktor. Open audio settings and choose a non-exclusive configuration, such as ASIO or WASAPI (Shared Mode)!

If no, then there is nothing you can do! Except of the solution of a virtual mixer such as the Voicemeeter or something similar... or (plus) a Virtual audio cable.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,098 Guru

It's actually normal and preferred for DJ software to prevent audio from other places playing through your speakers at gigs. If your "sound card" (what is it?) uses ASIO then usually it will only accept audio from one source at a time.

What are the "different purposes" you mention? You should not be using YouTube at events.

• Prakash Wadhwani

Thank You !! I selected the shared Wasapi Option & it works flawlessly now.

Someone mentioned that the Sound output from Wasapi Shared wasn't as good as the regular exclusive option. Is that so?

• Prakash Wadhwani

When I'm doing an event there may be a Presentation (movie clip) that needs to be played (using VLC). I may need to line up & play a couple of their audio tracks (using Winamp). Plus in Traktor I'd keep other samples like Claps, Crowd Cheers, Drum Shots, etc. cued up to be triggered on demand. Once they're all loaded & cued, a simple Alt-Tab takes me to the app i need.

For the DJ'ing part, I'm exclusively in Traktor only... but sometimes some guests ask for a particular song/language which i may not have. I give them my phone (or on the laptop sometimes) and they bring up the track on youtube which I play. Yes I realize the quality would be subpar but them having that 1 song makes them ecstatic. This is for emergencies only.

• Sunborn

In general, ASIO is by far better than WASAPI.

As for your question "the Sound output from Wasapi Shared wasn't as good as the regular exclusive option" my answer is no, technically they are both the same in quality... However, using exclusive mode has the benefit of a dedicated source... your entire audio source is focused on the selected program you are using.

Keep in mind that i assume you are at home, NOT on an event. If you play on an event, then you must follow the suggestions of PK The DJ. NEVER use YouTube (or VLC) on stage! 🙂