Automation? Max number of buttons and switches "exposed" to the host

manymanyhaha
manymanyhaha Member Posts: 16 Member

I've been modifying an existing ensemble for my purposes and slowly having good success with it but one thing is stumping me.

I have taken a 10 Track sequencer and made it 32 tracks and everything is working great except that each track has an on/off switch and my host can only see 1-10. It can also only see 1-10 of a button that I am not worried about.

Automation is enabled in each switch, all the way down to 32. I can change the Custom Parameter Name of each switch and see this new name for switches 1-10 in my host, but not switches 11-32.

Didn't know if number of Voices mattered but I upped those to 32. Otherwise, I can't seem to find any other parameters or settings that would limit the number of exposed switches to 10. I also created new switches for number 11 and 12, as a test. Still don't see them.

I'm sure this is something very simple. Surely more than 10 switches and buttons are automatable per instrument, correct?

Best Answers

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru
    Answer ✓

Event Tables that use the internal GUI editing system like this can't really work with snapshots afaict. The problem is that when you make an edit with the mouse, there is no output from the module to register that this has occurred, so there is no way to store the data in a snap array to be reloaded when a snap is recalled.

There are probably various hacky workarounds that you could try, but best would be to rewrite it using a snap value array to store the data, and mouse area/multi picture combo to do the GUI display and editing. This would not be a quick or easy job though.

That's basically the approach from the other thread. I would do it slightly differently, that one could do up to 128 steps, but no zooming or scrolling, so not the best for editing. If you want something more like your original with way more steps, better would be to have zooming which would then allow way more than 128 steps. That starts to become a larger project. Definitely doable though!

• manymanyhaha
    Answer ✓

Ahh, nevermind. I don't know what the problem was but I rebuilt it from the one that is working and it is working now. So I will proceed until I have time to work on the Snap Array method described above. A complicated setup gets ever more complicated!

Answers

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 2,966 mod

Hello,

i also don't know the exact number but I'm sure it's at least 127 parameters for reaktor. I'm not on my computer right now, but i clearly remember there are instruments you can load in maschine and you have several pages of 8 knobs per page, for example.

• manymanyhaha

My host sees a 1000 parameters, it appears. Many of the ones available are "unused" or "reserved". But it is only seeing the first 10 buttons and the first 10 switches, can't seem to figure out why.

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert

Can you give us a hardcopy or link of the sequencer, please.

It's hard to answer your question.

• colB

Have you tried sort IDs or sort and compress IDs in the connect tab under automation -> ID actions?

• manymanyhaha
    edited May 2022

Ding, ding, ding...... This worked! Didn't know about that, knew it had to be something simple, thank you!

• arachnaut
    arachnaut Member Posts: 81 Advisor

You have placed the Beats_0.2 ensemble snapshots outside of your instrument. It looks as if you made a special deal of that structure.

The snapshot macro is attached to the instrument it is in. In your case it is outside the main instrument so it is the ensemble snapshot that you will see and process.

• manymanyhaha

Interesting, I'm having a little issue with Snapshots.

I didn't do that, downloaded that ensemble from the User Library. I'm new to Reaktor, trying to make things I need that I can't find elsewhere. The second ensemble is my modification of the original, or at least the one instrument version. The current ensemble is nine of these doing different things. What I found beneficial about this snapshot approach was that I could have a snapshot for all nine instruments and also one per instrument. But have made instrument snapshots and lost them. Certainly user error, but something I'm about to troubleshoot.

• arachnaut

Every instrument in an ensemble has its own snapshot array. So you always have snapshots that only change an instrument.

The ensemble snapshot is the one that selects all the individual instrument snapshots for the ensemble.

The approach to making snapshots that I do is like this:

1) Set up instrument one and save that as a new instrument snapshot for instrument 1.

2) Set up instrument two and save that as a new instrument snapshot for instrument 2.

3) After all the instrument settings have been selected, change the ensemble as necessary and then save the ensemble snapshot. This ensemble snapshot will recall all the instrument snapshots.

• manymanyhaha
    edited June 2022

Sorry, was camping for the last week.

That was my thought of how it should work but the problem is that Snapshots do not save varying changes in Event Tables, as I am just now figuring out. An instrument or ensemble snapshot will record the current state of the Event Table and so will all subsequent snapshots, but each Snapshot will only recall the last Event Table snapshotted, if that makes sense. So only one Event Table layout can be saved in the current Snapshot system.

The odd Snapshot layout that you pointed out is the builder's attempt at a workaround and it works, sort of. Can't do an Add or Insert snapshot though (there is no Save As). So this is what I am now trying to figure out a proper workaround for. Really need to be able to "Save As".

• arachnaut

Well, sometimes we just got to do whatever.

Snapshots will only save the state of panel elements at the moment of saving.

If you want to record varying changes, take a look at Metaphysical Function. It has innumerable recording macros.

But the macro has a bug in it that is fixed in my version of MF:

• manymanyhaha

Those don't appear to have Event Tables in them, do they?

• arachnaut

I don't understand. There are event tables in various parts here and there.

The snapshot stuff is saved in snap arrays.

Don't forget that snapshots save panel elements values. Data in tables are not saved in snapshots.

• manymanyhaha

Sorry, didn't see the Event Tables that had data input.

There are folks who have created successful workarounds, like the one in this thread: https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/rontgen2-event-table-snap-shot-problem.347379/

Haven't come up with a successful adaption of this method to my ensemble though

• colB
    Answer ✓

Event Tables that use the internal GUI editing system like this can't really work with snapshots afaict. The problem is that when you make an edit with the mouse, there is no output from the module to register that this has occurred, so there is no way to store the data in a snap array to be reloaded when a snap is recalled.

There are probably various hacky workarounds that you could try, but best would be to rewrite it using a snap value array to store the data, and mouse area/multi picture combo to do the GUI display and editing. This would not be a quick or easy job though.

That's basically the approach from the other thread. I would do it slightly differently, that one could do up to 128 steps, but no zooming or scrolling, so not the best for editing. If you want something more like your original with way more steps, better would be to have zooming which would then allow way more than 128 steps. That starts to become a larger project. Definitely doable though!