October 2024 – a community update from our Chief Product Officer

Comments

• OhulahanBass
    OhulahanBass Member Posts: 172 Pro

Or does the vagueness lead to questioning…

We can go around in circles, I think clarity is a fine request even if it doesn’t come for 6 more months or ever.

• Tom Collins
    Tom Collins Member Posts: 37 Helper

I just think it’s a non issue. Of course they are going to offer upgrade pricing for existing customers.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,385 Expert

So sad to see so many passionate users like me still holding hopes 😔

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru
    edited October 10

I wasn't suggesting that the current Battery had any more of a future except a few compatibility updates. Rather, I was suggesting an entirely new product that has the functions ("use case") of Battery. This entirely new product might be called Battery X. Sort of like the history of Massive and Massive X.

And both this new Battery X and an evolved Massive X would exist within the Kontakt 8 development ecosystem… using the new Komplete Toolkit for their UI.

And therefore both would be integrated with the Kontrol S3 keyboards. Smart!

Kontakt 8 may be on a path to almost completely replace Komplete Kontrol for the Kontrol S3 keyboards.

• Tom Collins
    Tom Collins Member Posts: 37 Helper

I don't see Kontakt ever evolving into a VST host, that would be convoluted. Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt has specific separate use cases. I do think that it's smart of NI to focus on one (or two) development platforms for their instruments. I wish it was two and Reaktor still got some R&D love instead of just maintenance…

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 287 Pro

Divide and rule in full effect…

Some of us are fine with vague quarterly updates, because their GAS-needs are nicely being fulfilled.

Others seem to feel as if they’re psychologists (maybe some actually are…) or think they’re some sort of shareholders, that need to justify all money-driven decisions that are being made over decent product support.

And then there are users that feeling been stolen, simply by trusting NI as a company that would fix an incomplete product. They don’t get any concrete answers, simply because the Chief drops everything in one big, single update post and ‘cherry picks’ who gets an answer.

After that the topic is closed again, and the Chief vanishes for another 3-4 months. Taking no real responsibility for adequately fixing the problems. Once the M+ was NI’s flagship product… now it’s his pain in the ###.

Bugs should be fixed for free. Same goes for compatibility with the latest version of Maschine 2.0 on desktop. All part of the deal, the promise they’ve made. It’s how it was marketed and advertised.

So please, don’t mix up bug fixes, updates, and upgrades.

If the Chief needs Maschine 3.0 to be a paid upgrade on desktop and the M+, well fine. Customers have a free and fresh new choice to go for it… or not.

At this point I wouldn’t, and because of that stupid decision I cannot buy the all new and shiny expansions that are only compatible with Maschine 3.0 on desktop or upgraded M+. But I’m still entitled for fixes to an unstable and incomplete product, an update that has been delayed for months.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru
    edited October 10

That's why I said "almost" completely replace Komplete Kontrol. There are ongoing use cases for a VST host for some people.

But with so much creative functionality being steered into the Kontakt 8 ecosystem, for many users there may be no compelling reason to venture outside Kontakt 8 + Kontrol S3 keyboard.

Might be easier to stay in the creative flow…

• donmaddonald
    donmaddonald Member Posts: 129 Helper
    edited October 11

I think you have a good point, but more than divide and rule, it is just a company that offers a service, not everybody can be served, what we can do is give our feedback here, and decide to buy or not a product.

by the way, There is also a 4th category of users, the ones that actually just care about their workflow, it is just happened that I personally feel comfortable with most NI stuff, and I always criticise them when the system is unstable, but I never do that for the lack of features, because, if NI doesn't provide me with a particular feature I am looking for, I will look in other places, I might suggest that feature over here, but I don't aspect them to do it because I want it.

I think is not much different from picking a restaurant, I usually like Italian food, so I am happy with my pizza e and pasta most of the time, but if one day I want sushi, I don't go to the chef complaining and asking for sushi, I go to a sushi place. My only requirement is that when I eat my pizza, have to be done right, which is why the number one priority for me should be stability, which lately seems to be on point, no random crashes, no missing instruments etc…

I now understood that most people are complaining about M+ which I don't own, so I can't share the frustration, and I am not talking about that. but again that my philosophy in general.

also side note, in this time and age we have the easiest way to do music, it is hard to find a bad product, considering that some of the greatest music have been done with way less tools.

just saying. I really understand your point of view and kind of agree on something, but we need to distance ourself a little bit, we bought it because we wanted it, very simple.

• BravoBonez
    BravoBonez Member Posts: 5 Member

Looking forward to Maschine 3.0 and happy to pay for a generational update….they have to get revenue somehow…but worried I will not be able to use my NI S61 Mk2 as a fully integrated component of my process. I would have bought the S61 Mk3 but very disappointed by the lack of integration with Maschine (much fewer buttons etc). This is one area that has really disappointed me. I know there will be some updates, but in the end, one needs the buttons/knobs etc. From a higher level overall, positive on this announcement, and really enjoying Traktor Pro 4. Love stems, and the usual integration between Maschine and the remix decks etc.

• Ju.de
    Ju.de Member Posts: 20 Member

« a basic Kontrol S-Series MK3 integration» was hoping a COMPLET INTEGRATION of Maschine on S-Serie MK3 reinventing with more useful tools, taking advantage of the big screen ok S-Series MK3.

Now NI is condemned to to big to make the fan happy and surprising, this is should be now your goal and partially Marketing strategy.

it is been to long for Maschine update, for true innovation, white Maschine software as the hardware is already very innovative, the new board didn't keeping the innovation UP. what make NI so attractive is the ecosystem integration very synchronise between hardware and software.

• Dave Therrien
    Dave Therrien Member Posts: 6 Member

Nice work, Simon and team! Lots of great and creative tools in Kontakt 8 that I'm really enjoying using.

Komlete Kontrol seems like quite an overlap with Kontakt 8 now. I think the only thing missing from KK in Kontakt 8 is synth integration with MassiveX, Reaktor, etc. Why have such similar products?

Also, as an S61 MK2 owner, I would love to see upgrades to it to maybe minimally support Kontakt 8. It's a wonderful keyboard, and feels super wasteful and expensive to replace it. I understand that this request may not be technically possible, but I wanted to mention it.

I've never really gotten into Maschine as a DAW, (I use mostly Ableton, with some Bitwig, Cubase, and Logic). All DAWs require a learning curve, and in the past, every time I took a run at learning Maschine, I felt it was "too different" than the others I mentioned, and never pushed through to learn it properly. I will give it another shot when it's updated.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.