Will Maschine JAM be compatible with Maschine 3.0? What do you guys think?

AdelV
AdelV Member Posts: 303 Guru

I'm curious because I just ordered a used piece at a good price with a view to using it with Maschine Plus live. However, now I'm worried that support may run out in a while.

Comments

• Impermanence
    Impermanence Member Posts: 156 Pro

A guy from Reddit wrote that it will be compatible. But who knows for sure? Jam is integral part of my workflow so I have to hope it will be.

• Lionzinio
    Lionzinio Member Posts: 40 Helper

As long as Maschine Jam is class compliant, which is always a toss up with NI, it should be OK in terms of carrying on doing what it does.

I guess the real issue would be, will NI bother mapping any updated functionality on the Maschine Jam.

• bobbyduracel
    bobbyduracel Member Posts: 37 Member

I hope they relaunch it with the ability to chain more than one in your daw, and easy user mapping modes (like other midi controllers)… honestly the layout is almost perfect IMHO. I'd only move the scene launch buttons to the right, so it looks more like my familiar Ableton controllers.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,639 Expert
  • D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,233 mod
    edited September 29

None of the Maschine controllers are class-complient, they all need drivers even for simple MIDI Mode + tons of code to work with the Maschine SW.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 712 Pro

when it comes down to purchasing any further iteration of Maschine 3.x or whatever the case maybe…

they will lose a customer whose gear is not supported by it…

if Maschine Jam is not supported by the next iteration of maschine… what incentive do i have to purchase if i have to also buy new hardware…

the door swings both ways, with the customer

so ultimately you worry over the flowers too much

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 3,009 Expert

But NI has ditched KK Sxx Mk1. At least in Komplete Kontrol 3.x. So, I doubt new Maschine SW will support it.

@ozon

Jam is supported on M+. But if you meant on M+ with "Maschine 3" clon…. Who knows, if new Maschine will be ported to M+. Maybe M+ MK2 will come….

• AdelV
    AdelV Member Posts: 303 Guru

Decided to not updated my both Plus and SW if Jam will be not supported. Just no. I have hybrid DJ setup and need to have control over Maschine groups volume, effects and more.

Cheers!

• D-One

I wouldn't stress about this, I'd say the chances of JAM still being supported are rather high.

• Lionzinio

The non-class compliance is why the Maschine Mk1 is now a brick and unusable on more recent macs. If all models of Maschine are non-class compliant that’s a major flaw in NI’s whole development. They are selling these on the grounds that they’re easy to link into most DAWs, when older versions of their machines can’t even be used on newer computers.

• D-One
    edited October 6

TBH I never understood the decision, maybe its related to facilitating the development or something technical, because there's multiple advantages for class-compliance, people could use the HW in any OS like Linux, connect directly to hardware, iPads, Phones, etc… But of course, MIDI Mode only.

Not sure they actually marketed Maschine like that, it's a dedicated controller 1st afterall… MIDI Mode is a secondary function. The Mk1 is from 2009, personally I give them a pass on that, 15 years is a long time and they still work on Windows afaik.

• Lionzinio

The issue of non-class compliance is that as a result the Maschine Mk1 isn’t even recognised at all by more recent (2022 onwards) Macs and Mac OSs. That means you can’t even use it as a basic midi controller. And certainly not as a device that can be used with the Maschine software. It simply won’t function at all.

It carries on a disturbing precedent of NI not building devices that are compliant or built to last and stopping support for their expensive hardware years before that should be even thought of as an option. I’m looking at things like the otherwise excellent Guitar Rig interface (now useless), the Maschine Mk1 (now useless) and the entire mk1 keyboard range (no longer supported). These are sold as expensive musical hardware devices, but seem to have a planned lifespan of 3 - 4 years. And at the end of their planned lifespans, they stop being even usable unless you keep your entire system locked in the past.

That might be OK if your business model is based on simply selling hardware and requiring your customers to buy new gear every 3 - 4 years as you go full obsolescence on your previous range. But it’s not a great look from your customers’ point of view.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 712 Pro
    edited October 8

as far as i understand… what you have highlighted regarding maschine mk1 not working on m1 series or newer mac's is valid, however in 2022 you wouldve been fully aware they dont work… that said they still work on windows 10 systems, and windows10 based systems are cheap, ……so not all is lost!!

anyone who buys a Komplete mk1, will need to do their research to fully understand what they are getting themselves into… but this is a lesson for anyone thinking of purchasing midi controllers, as this lesson of not researching is not limited to NI hardware… but extends to other hardware that are no longer supported

you make a valid case about having class compliance…. however it is a marketting strategy by not having class compliance, as it forces the user in some respects to buy in to the hardware/software combo, this is clearly a strategy that was implemented wayyy back and as such… we see the flood of maschine controllers, komplete kontrol etc

i have x3 maschine mk1's a single s88 mk1 and although the 3 maschinemk1's dont work on the m1macmini i have… they still work on my windows PC… the S88 mk1 i havent even bothered to try it on the m1… but again i know it will work on my windowsPC, and that is the fall back we as users have!!

dont know much about the other guitar-rig hardware you reference, but surely it would work on a windows10?? who knows

i think the lesson from all this compatibility hoo ha… is do your research.. and make sure you always a fall back plan… the OLD & the NEW…

if of course you want the latest shiny thing… well you pay for it!!