Maschine Micro MK3 Midi Mode / Korg Kronos 2015

JB1966
JB1966 Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited May 2022 in Maschine

Hi!

I use two NI devices Complete 61 and Maschine Mikro MK3. Both are working fine when connected to my MacBook Pro.

When I connect my Complete 61 to my Korg Kronos everything works well, too.

Unfortunately Maschine starts (all Pads / Buttons LED show as usual), but that's it. I can't set Maschine to MIDI mode. This only works on my MacBook, regardless if the software is running or not. Due to the fact Complete works, there must be an USB/Firmware issue on MK3 or am I wrong? Any other way to enter MIDI mode on non "Standard Operating Systems" like Windows and MacOsX?

Thanks in advance

Jens

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

Hey Jens,

To answer your questions. Komplete Kontrol S series, MK1 and MK2 have a different MIDI implementation. MIDI can be used without the need of a computer. For a M32 or an A series keyboard, it can be used as a standard MIDI device but MIDI implementation and assignations can't be changed without a computer connected, changes will not stick. The Maschine MK3 and the Mikro MK3 need the NIHardwareAgent to be running, so it will not work at all as a standalone MIDI device.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

so you are saying the "Shift + Project Button" Key combination does not change the Mikro to Midi Mode?

• Jeremy_NI

Hey Jens, what happens exactly when you put the Mikro Mk3 in Midi mode ? Did you install the very last version of the Maschine and Komplete Kontrol software ? It should be 2.15.1 and 2.7.1. these fixed some issues regarding the MIDI templates and Controller Editor. Also make sure that the correct version of Controller Editor is installed (2.7.3).

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru

Sounds to me that OP wants to use mk3 mikro as a class compliant controller connected directly to a hardware synth. This is like when people ask if they can use maschine as a controller connected directly to an iPad.

The answer: No. You need to use a supported OS and have the software installed and services running.

• Jeremy_NI

Sounds to me that you are right and I was too quick on this one ;) Thanks for rectifying. This would work with a Maschine MK3, but not supported on the Mikro MK3, you are correct.

• JB1966

Hi Jeremy!

Precisely: Shift + Project Button is not working on non Windows/MacOS env.

I used the latest software and drivers, created a template to send very basic midi messages like note and ctrl messages and assigned them to the pads. I fear to ask for sysex support at all, different story.

My Korg Kronos uses a Linux based operating system and detects flash drives and other devices, even the Komplete 61 keyboard works out of the box. I expected Maschine is able to enter Midi Mode regardless of NI Software running on the host. It should at least work as Midi USB compliant device with really rudimentary Midi capabilities. So the question is:

a) Is the MK3's USB implementation incomplete?

b) Is there an issue with linux based hosts in general?

c) is it possible to force Midi Mode as default?

d) what is the difference between Komplete 61 and Maschine from a USB to MIDI point of view?

• JB1966

Precisely! I expect from such a device to be USB MIDI class compliant. And sorry, your assumption my question is as stupid as expecting an ipad to behave like a real USB host is clearly wrong and a little rude to my taste. USB and class compliance is OS independent, that's the reason we have drivers for and USB hardware/software specs. BTW: NI got it working (at least partially) on the Komplete 61 device.

Next: Midi Mode which requires NI Software running is useless, because this entirely works against the term "midi mode", is still considerably only a "computer based slave mode". MIDI is GENERALLY operating system and hardware independent, thats the reason why MIDI instruments, regardless of vendor and type, can talk to each other since 40 years and USB should not break this behaviour at all.

Nevertheless, thanks for your response

Jens

• Jeremy_NI
    edited May 2022 Answer ✓

Hey Jens,

To answer your questions. Komplete Kontrol S series, MK1 and MK2 have a different MIDI implementation. MIDI can be used without the need of a computer. For a M32 or an A series keyboard, it can be used as a standard MIDI device but MIDI implementation and assignations can't be changed without a computer connected, changes will not stick. The Maschine MK3 and the Mikro MK3 need the NIHardwareAgent to be running, so it will not work at all as a standalone MIDI device.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru

Are you sure about the full sized maschine mk3? Unlike OP; I don't think it's "stupid" to want to use maschine hardware as a midi controller for android/ios. I don't have a mk3, but I do have M+. I can't get it into midi mode without a computer. You're saying the full sized mk3 can do that?

I've tried plugging my M+ into my ipad, android phones and tablets, yamaha modx and mioxm. None of them allow me to switch into midi mode.

• Jeremy_NI

@darkwaves I'm so sorry, I have to get back to my basics...The Maschine MK3 does need a computer to run the MIDI mode, as the M+ in Controller mode and MIDI mode. If it's ok with you, I will correct my post.

About using the M+ with an iPad, it should be possible without any MIDI mode. You can select the USB MIDI as a MIDI output on the Maschine Plus, like this M+ user here:

• JB1966

Many thanks for the answer, should have known earlier. Honesty the need of a Midi-Agent running on a host computer for basic Midi commands is ridiculous and makes a device for 230€ more or less useless.

At the very end I will have to sell it, because its not useable as basic midi-controller in midi mode at all. This is clearly a marketing alternative truth to call it midi-controller, sorry for my hard words, usually I am a kind and gentle person.

Jens

• Jeremy_NI

Hey Jens, I hear you, the Maschine Mikro Mk3 is probably not the tool for you. Keep in mind that it's first and foremost a controller for the Mascchine software.