Transfering TP3 to a new Mac

daneb_hh
daneb_hh Member Posts: 5 Member

Hi, is there a tutorial how to move TP3 over to a new machine? The Video on the website is 9 years old. Does it still apply?

Tagged:

Best Answers

• saradis
    saradis Member Posts: 50 Advisor
    Answer ✓

I haven't watched that particular video but yeah the architecture for the collection is pretty much the same and Traktor is very organized, clear and precise when it comes to it's database and settings.

Quick tip, if you have a decent sized collection, it will be faster to zip the Traktor 3.x.x folder and transfer the zip file to the new mac and unzip it there. There are thousands of stripe and transient files in that folder, that will bring any portable hard drive to very slow transfer speeds. Compressing and transferring a single file via usb or lan is much much quicker.

Also (this is a bit hacky though), if you first make sure your hard drives (old and new) have the same name, and you copy your music folders on the exact same locations, and both computers have the same Traktor version, you can pretty much put the old Traktor 3.x.x folder in the place of the same folder on the new Mac (same location on the Documents/Native Instruments folder) and then just open the program.
    If everything is the same (Drive names, Traktor versions, folders names and locations) you will instantly have the same exact Traktor without even importing anything (Well maybe do a consistency check on the first run just to be sure)

• saradis
    Answer ✓

yes you can change anything you want about the music folders, they are used for auto importing stuff you add. Most users keep their main music folder there, and I think by default it points to the Traktor > Music folder

Answers

• ilove1981
    ilove1981 Member Posts: 115 Advisor

Yes it still applies. The folder names will reflect the current versions of your Traktor install but the theory is still the same.

• saradis
    Answer ✓

I haven't watched that particular video but yeah the architecture for the collection is pretty much the same and Traktor is very organized, clear and precise when it comes to it's database and settings.

Quick tip, if you have a decent sized collection, it will be faster to zip the Traktor 3.x.x folder and transfer the zip file to the new mac and unzip it there. There are thousands of stripe and transient files in that folder, that will bring any portable hard drive to very slow transfer speeds. Compressing and transferring a single file via usb or lan is much much quicker.

Also (this is a bit hacky though), if you first make sure your hard drives (old and new) have the same name, and you copy your music folders on the exact same locations, and both computers have the same Traktor version, you can pretty much put the old Traktor 3.x.x folder in the place of the same folder on the new Mac (same location on the Documents/Native Instruments folder) and then just open the program.
    If everything is the same (Drive names, Traktor versions, folders names and locations) you will instantly have the same exact Traktor without even importing anything (Well maybe do a consistency check on the first run just to be sure)

• daneb_hh

Yes, this is how i did it. I had to redirect the root directory, sample, remix folders. I relocated the Music after consistency check (they are on an external storage now). BUT for some reason in the file settings under Music Folders it points to the root directory (attached pic). I dont quite understand why? On my other Mac it also does this. Only there it is an older root directory, but since I did not copy that, it got an error message at first. But after skipping it, it ended up pointing to the copied root directory. Is that a problem? I manage my music through iTunes/Apple Music. The library shows up with all playlists

and I mirror them in the TP3 Library manually. Seems to work so far.

• saradis

I didn't understand your issue with the home directory, if you mean a main Music folder, you can delete or edit that

• daneb_hh

As u can see in the picture (well u can't the the whole path) in the "music folder section" it links to the root directory 3.4.2. I can delete it if I want?

• saradis
    Answer ✓

yes you can change anything you want about the music folders, they are used for auto importing stuff you add. Most users keep their main music folder there, and I think by default it points to the Traktor > Music folder