I cannot launch Native Access

yoshiaki yamazaki
yoshiaki yamazaki Member Posts: 3 Member
edited October 22 in Native Access

I have tried restarting my PC, updating Visual C++ to the latest version, and various other methods, but nothing happens when I click the Native Access icon.

No error message appears; it simply does not launch at all. I uninstalled Native Access and then reinstalled it, but the behavior did not change.

Please help me.

Tagged:

Comments

• BJ_Dobbs
    BJ_Dobbs Member Posts: 10 Newcomer

Same issue here. Worked perfectly up until now. No system changes, no new software. Simply will not launch. Tried reinstalling.

• yoshiaki yamazaki

I tried looking for information online, and although I found some symptoms of an error occurring midway through, I couldn't find any symptoms of no error being displayed, and nothing starting up when you click the Native Access icon.
    It may be a problem that has been occurring over the past few days.
    We can't contact NI directly by email, so this is really troubling for me.

• BJ_Dobbs

One would think NI might consider inability to run Native Access 2 rather significant. BTW, all other NI software I have works perfectly.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 945 Guru

Of course it's significant.

But thousands of people like me are using it just fine. I start it up shortly after a reboot and it's usually up and running until the next time I reboot, usually a week or two later. So being accusatory is not going to help you. Yes, sometimes NA has problems. But for many, it has been reliable, especially the newer versions of it. So please treat this as a "can-do opportunity", and maybe we can get you going.

Both you and the OP need to help us help you.

1. Please provide your OS and version.
    2. What version of NA did you install?
    3. Did you see any unusual messages during the installation of NA? Perhaps something about dependencies or admin authority?

That's a start. Please provide that info and we'll see if somebody here can come up with ideas for you.

• Hayo_NI
    Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 316 mod

Hey, we've resolved the issue and are shipping a fix next week. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you need a fix urgently and 3.12.1 does not resolve your inability to open NA, please reach out to customer care.

• BJ_Dobbs

Yo BIF, I appreciate you stepping in to help and I understand how I may have sounded accusatory while thinking I was expressing some exasperation. Nonetheless, I will try to be as considerate as possible, which I usually am. 😉

I wasn't certain how long it would take to solve my issue, if it could be solved at all in the time frame I was wanting. So, after a couple of hours of using the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) tool among several others, and operating from a clean Win11 install partition on a separate SSD I keep purely for emergencies, I determined the culprit was a particular .dll as follows:

ChatGPT: "The msvcp140.dll file is a Dynamic Link Library (DLL) file associated with the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015, 2017, and 2019. It is part of the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime library and provides standard C++ library functions, such as input/output stream handling, algorithms, and utilities, which are used by applications and programs developed with Microsoft Visual C++." Reinstalling MVC++ didn't help, so I used another technique.

The problem likely occured while I was running Native Access 2 and my CPU hung while running (ironically) Cubase 13 Pro thereby forcing me to make a cold restart. On reboot, apparently NA2 would not launch because it 'thought' it was already running due to a condition stored in msvcp140.dll which resides in \Windows\System32. Strangely, Task Manager indicated NA2 was running (when it wasn't) and would not permit me to exit the 'running' app.

After a number of experiments, the solution was a complete uninstall of NA2 using Native Access 2 uninstall.exe, then replacing the problematic msvcp140.dll with a known good one from my donor Win11 partition while running Win11 from the donor drive. Then restarting the problematic CPU and reinstalling NA2. Launch succeeded yet took a bit longer than normal for a credentials check and then went into initial refresh-plugins etc mode for 30 minutes (much too long but I gave it plenty of time). I stopped it by simply clicking X on the app then I was able to restart it perfectly, ID, serials and all my sounds and plugins fully restored and functional.

Whew! I'm glad I avoided a complete Win11 clean reinstall on account of one locked .dll file. I don't know whether I found a bug in NA2 but I hope the devs are watching and can give an opinion.

So BIF, when's the next time you'd like me to wash your car?

Your friend,

Marty McFly

😃

• BJ_Dobbs

Weird. I made 2 posts that are not showing up in this discussion….🧐

• BJ_Dobbs

They regarded my successful temporary solution for the problem after an extensive bug hunt… replacing msvcp140.dll with a clean version. In my case NA2 would not launch after a system freeze because NA2 was permanently locked into an "on" state. Were my previous posts too lengthy, perhaps?

• BJ_Dobbs

Hey Hajo,

Thanks for your kind response. I left a comment yesterday but I see it wasn't published. I wasn't certain how long I'd have to wait for a solution so I found one myself. Revised reiteration:

The problem likely occured while I was running Native Access 2 and my CPU hung while running (ironically) Cubase 13 Pro thereby forcing me to make a cold restart. So, I went on a bug hunt with an arsenal of Windows tools. On sys reboot, apparently NA2 would not launch because Windows 'thought' it was already running due to a condition stored in msvcp140.dll which resides in \Windows\System32. Task Manager indicated NA2 was running (when it wasn't) and would not permit me to exit the 'running' app.

The mitigated solution was completed with an uninstall of NA2 using Native Access 2 uninstall.exe, then replacing the problematic msvcp140.dll from a healthy donor Win11 installation and reinstalling NA2. NA2 launched, made a credentials check then refresh-plugins/sounds mode for over 30 minutes (too long). I soft restarted NA2. ID, serials and all my registered sounds and plugins were fully restored and functional. Indication of possible bug in NA2 - inability to recover from running state flag after system freeze.

• yoshiaki yamazaki

On July 12th, Hasyo said that a patch would be released next week, but it seems that it hasn't been released yet. I would like to know when the patch will be released.

This discussion has been closed.