OK sorry - NotaDAW

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru

No.. it's a sausage sandwich..

HotaDAWG!

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod
    edited February 23

That's layering, I am very familiar, everyone uses "electronic" subby kicks to make up for the lack of clean subs on acoustic kicks from 70's breaks... But the texture generally comes from the break. Dre is just famous as heck (talented as well of course) but he didn't invent layering 2 sounds that complement each other.

This is the reason tons of drum enhancers have sub-generators, like Ableton's DrumBuss or Decaps Knock plug... Dre hasn't done 'boombap' since the 90's btw... the definition is blurry but 2001 had a modern sound at the time.

• MorrisEd
    MorrisEd Member Posts: 147 Advisor
    edited February 23

Perfect end to the horrific MK3 release would be that NI destroys the value of it in the first year by implementing all the controls they stripped out into a new device.

• MorrisEd

These were the results a team of people produced under a certain set of conditions. I believe there was turnover and management changes and these things can take a toll of productivity and product feature continuity. NI’s new head of product development was hired from Meta, I believe, and has a DJ background. I’ve also seen open positions from them over the last year too, so I don’t think it’s reasonable to have too high expectations for new products.

I have a certain love for NI products, but the Company has been all over the place for as long as I can remember. This comes through in the products. When you use an Akai MPC, for example, there is a feature continuity back to the 80s….same with Roland and Korg. So much so that once users pick up a new MPC or MC-707 or Nautilus, many back track to explore the vintage products like the MPC 3000, MC-505 and Triton. NI is a completely different ballgame. As we have just seen with the Kontrol MK3, they seem to start from scratch every time and end up with a worse product all the while keeping their core software pretty much stagnant.

It seems like they are just intent on doing what they do. I got 6 updates this week…all bug fixes with ONE NKS2 transition. It’s almost funny that they can push out these NKS2 transitions so slowly and expect customers to have any faith that the tech will still be valid once they finally get done. I don’t understand it, but whatever.

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 424 Pro

MorrisEd

I don’t think it’s reasonable to have too high expectations for new products.

Creating the means to have a PROPER dialogue with users would in theory go a long way to help. It's not as if consumers want to make the products static or worse. Having a working support that actually wants to fix things wouldn't go amiss either. NI's reputation over the last few years has taken quite a bashing, somewhat deservedly, it would be really good if the signals we receive actually inspired confidence but thus far, many would say they fall far short of that...............

• jkq2010
    jkq2010 Member Posts: 36 Helper

Lost Ones was a rare exception of him doing Boom Bap later in his career. He's an exceptional piano player, very underrated

• D-One
    edited February 27

It's still a super clean-sounding beat, but sure, I guess boom-bap is subjective especially now where people call anything that is not "Trap" boom-bap.

Dre? He is probably very decent at the Piano but he didn't do that...

Scott Storch did all the early 2000's Dre hits.. "Still Dre", "X" by Xzibit, etc... Later on it was Mark Batson, he was the one who actually played the piano riff in Jay's "Lost One". Both Scott and Mark are great at the Piano and Dre is great at picking memorable riffs.

Look, Dre and Snoop admiring his piano skills: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoNEfO1A4uf/ :D

• mickeyl
    mickeyl Member Posts: 61 Helper

I'd like Maschine to stay a glorified drum pad, but without a custom standalone software, but rather full and tight integration into existing DAWs -- and without any split personalities like "DAW mode" and "native mode". Using Logic, it always strikes me as cumbersome to make beats in a separate environment.

• D-One
    edited February 27

Thats like asking AKAI to turn an MPC into an MPD... Or for NI to make an MPD-like generic 4x4 controller?

• pet
    pet Member Posts: 25 Member
    edited July 4

i got my pair of unit-4 to test the latency with logic pro and NI products, all i can report today, i am surprised - it works flawless. i plugged the transmitter into usb-c of my macbookpro m1.

• MorrisEd

I don’t think they have the staff. NI as it was previously no longer exists after the purchase by this private equity company. The head of product development now is a DJ who formerly worked at Meta. NI was built by musicians…and passionate ones at that. The new owners are NO DOUBT more interested in rolling out a software-centric business model and transitioning customers to subscriptions over time. Hardware is simply an afterthought imo. In other words, the product devs have fewer and worse resources than pre-acquisition in my opinion, and I am being generous given the typical private equity playbook is to load up their targets with debt before puking out to a group of bagholders before the decline is evident in the earnings.

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 197 Pro
    edited July 5

just ask the ex-Meta DJ where the promised M+ kernel update went. Crickets.
    Or why every native access update is introducing more bugs and issues. It’s clearly a hot mess in the NI labs.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,649 Expert

Which is caused by technical debt. Which was introduced and accumulated for over a decade by the incredibly talented visionaries who everybody remembers so fondly and are most probably not working at NI anymore.

• olafmol
    olafmol Member Posts: 197 Pro

You cannot blame people that left over 10 years ago for the current sorry state of affairs. I've been an early adopter of NI software (Generator, Reaktor, Pro53, Absynth etc.) and they were firmly ahead of the curve in those days. And also able to improve the software with regular minor and major upgrades.

All of these people have left the building. Maybe you could pass some blame to Daniel Haver, one of the co-founders and CEO until 2020.

But i believe that there is no excuse for not reducing any technical debt in 10 years time. I just feel sad if I look at how long it took NI to support VST3, and how they struggle with high-DPI display support…

This discussion has been closed.