M+ in controller mode without power supply?

djadidai
djadidai Member Posts: 393 Pro

Yo! I might have missed this and I need to ask just to be sure. I downgraded from 2.15 to 2.14.7 on my M1. Then I connected the usb cable between my computer and my M+. I intended to connect the power supply directly after. To my surprise, the M+ went straight into controller mode without the power supply cable connected to a socket.

So my question is, is it safe? Is it supposed to work like that? If my intention is to use the M+ only as a controller and not switch modes, is it enough to have it connected only with usb?

Always had it connected to both and it never occurred to me that if I wanna go controller mode it would be enough to have it connected only by usb cable.

Best Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Answer ✓

Not 100% sure for M+, but I assume it will be the same like MK3...

One may power it using just USB, no power adapter. In that case the display may be less bright than if using power adapter. I use MK3 entirely using USB powering. No problem.

I even think (not 100% sure), that MK3 is delivered without power supply and power supply is optional...

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,881 mod
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

It's safe, that's the normal behavior since release, if the power adapter is not connected the M+ auto powers up in Controller Mode when you plug the USB cable.

I use it like that all the time to avoid the long reboot process to go into controller mode, (mode I use 90% of the time) but it's a bit annoying that it can't be powered off tho, if you hold the "off" button it just reboots and powers ON again... So, it can't be turned off while connected to USB, I miss the power button on the back of the MK3.

The difference in brightness is pretty negligible IMO, even smaller than on the MK3 I think.

The MK3 comes with a power supply, at least mine did, not sure if this changed since but I doubt it.

Answers

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Answer ✓

Not 100% sure for M+, but I assume it will be the same like MK3...

One may power it using just USB, no power adapter. In that case the display may be less bright than if using power adapter. I use MK3 entirely using USB powering. No problem.

I even think (not 100% sure), that MK3 is delivered without power supply and power supply is optional...

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,881 mod
    edited April 2022 Answer ✓

It's safe, that's the normal behavior since release, if the power adapter is not connected the M+ auto powers up in Controller Mode when you plug the USB cable.

I use it like that all the time to avoid the long reboot process to go into controller mode, (mode I use 90% of the time) but it's a bit annoying that it can't be powered off tho, if you hold the "off" button it just reboots and powers ON again... So, it can't be turned off while connected to USB, I miss the power button on the back of the MK3.

The difference in brightness is pretty negligible IMO, even smaller than on the MK3 I think.

The MK3 comes with a power supply, at least mine did, not sure if this changed since but I doubt it.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 393 Pro

Thanks guys! My screens appeared bright and full color to me, but never used an mk3, so I wouldn’t know to compare. Yeah, I pull out the usb cable when I’m done. Using stand alone 90% of the time, but it sure makes the transition a whole lot easier by just plugging out the power chord. The mk2 is also never turned off, so I recognize the behavior. What a nice surprise! Can’t believe I didn’t just try that earlier, lol. I barely know how to switch from stand alone to controller mode while it’s turned on haha