Auto resize Reaktor ensemble to screen resolution

Sunborn
Sunborn NKS User Library Mod Posts: 2,326 mod
edited March 2022 in Building With Reaktor

Hello πŸ™‚

Is there a way to auto resize a Reaktor ensemble according to screen resolution?

There are many ensembles (usually user-made ones) that are huge and while this is great on a desktop's big screen, it is a total mess of frustrating on a laptop.

I couldn't find any solution online, so i ask here. Thanks in advance for your answers!

Best Answers

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 799 Guru
    Answer βœ“

Nope

(More words because 'nope' is too short to be a valid post!)

• arachnaut
    arachnaut Member Posts: 81 Advisor
    Answer βœ“

This forum only allows small uploads, so I loaded an example to the UL:

This is a very large ensemble with a very wide GUI.

I made this to help a user who had only a laptop.

Laptops do have other problems, though, as I think this will burn your pants off if you use a 'lap' top.

• Sunborn
    edited March 2022 Answer βœ“

As i wrote you there, it is not what i asked, but it might be extremely useful in many cases. Thank you for your effort!

btw, what i asked had to do with only one instrument (an ensemble with one instrument), not multiple ones... lets say a synthesizer with a panel of 1500 pixels wide. I am experiment on something, but i like to have full quality graphics, BIG knobs etc etc ...on my desktop it looks great but on laptop i have to scroll and scroll and scroll... it is annoying...

...can i use your method (panel sets) with macros? or they have to be instruments only?

• arachnaut
    Answer βœ“

I'd like to relate a recent Reaktor collaboration effort that might be informative to some... and not really off-topic: making things fit.

A while back, Catman Dude and I were working on an idea that involved connecting several large ensembles.Β 

One was Spiral. The other was Krypt, and there were more.

I have a 3440x1440 display while Catman had HD format only.

I would hook up things and send to him and he would have trouble navigating.

So we ended up rewriting these ensembles and making them smaller. I also set up panelsets for these.

The end result was the Vortex and Kryptonite series of ensembles:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14143/Β 

Β https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14227/Β 

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14225/Β  Β 

During our collaboration, we made the end result useful for others because of our totally different views on things.

He had a Mac, I had a PC; he worked in Core, I worked in Primary; he was a musician while I was the engineer.

We ended up making a true collaboration of ideas, much better than either of us could do on our own.

He had some medical issues that made computer usage painful, as do I. We were both getting on when we did this. I had just had a diagnosis of stage IV cholangiocarcinoma (cancer of the bile duct) for which I have been treated this past year.

Whereas I recovered completely and feel pretty good now, I believe Catman has passed. The last email from him mentioned some medical issues and I never heard from him again. That was about a year ago.

I miss his collaboration and friendship and the bantering about of the absurdities of Core and Primary.

I have had many collaborations on musical projects in Reaktor with other users. These have been among the most rewarding experiences of my life.

• arachnaut
    Answer βœ“

I think I see what you may have been looking for. Vector graphics resizing? All the panel elements are fixed size and there is no support for non-raster graphic elements.

• Sunborn
    Answer βœ“

@arachnaut thanks a lot for all your insightful answers!

I understand now that what i actually need (vector graphics) is not supported (yet?) so i will have to try some of your solutions, or leave it as is...

In brief: I am first of all a musician so this is my basic approach. I want to make some stuff to be useful to a musician, not just experiments and explorations (in which of course i am also interesting but as a secondary goal). I am, secondly, a graphic designer, not of a professional, but of a very good level, so my second goal is to make things aesthetic and in harmony, a pleasure to look at! I have seen too many amazing user works but of very poor aesthetic. Last, i am also a programmer, however my skills are basic, i am still learning and i still have a lot to learn.

For the moment i explore and work basically on the Primary mode, which i find it easy to understand. Core is still too complicated for me (but it will be my next step, when i master the Primary mode). Of course i know what is a stacked macro and almost everything else in the primary mode (actually i have seen and experiment on, probably every video exist online by salamanderanagram and few others ☺️). Blocks are great to play with, but i can not really do much with them, so i do not use them (yet!) for creative work. Yet, paradoxally, my first full work (the only one that i have upload so far), it has blocks inside (https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14391/) but this is a rather simple work. Now i am working on 2 synths, exclusively on Primary mode.

Answers

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 799 Guru
    Answer βœ“

Nope

(More words because 'nope' is too short to be a valid post!)

• arachnaut

Do you use panelsets? It might help you if the GUI is large because of multiple instruments.

Panelsets can be programmed to show groupings of instruments of your choice in various window panels and window locations for your convenience while hiding parts that you don't need to see at the moment.

The paradigm allows you to customize for your own utility.

You can have 8 named panelsets with many types of layouts, for example - a studio layout and a performance layout and a design layout could be three panels in the set.

You will need to save your copy of an ensemble to save the panelsets you make.

Panelsets don't rewire or change the ensemble, it is just cosmetic.

The 'atomic' unit in the panelset is the instrument whose view may be enabled or disabled.

There are some examples in the Factory Library, Photone, as shown below:

• arachnaut
    Answer βœ“

This forum only allows small uploads, so I loaded an example to the UL:

This is a very large ensemble with a very wide GUI.

I made this to help a user who had only a laptop.

Laptops do have other problems, though, as I think this will burn your pants off if you use a 'lap' top.

• Sunborn
    edited March 2022 Answer βœ“

As i wrote you there, it is not what i asked, but it might be extremely useful in many cases. Thank you for your effort!

btw, what i asked had to do with only one instrument (an ensemble with one instrument), not multiple ones... lets say a synthesizer with a panel of 1500 pixels wide. I am experiment on something, but i like to have full quality graphics, BIG knobs etc etc ...on my desktop it looks great but on laptop i have to scroll and scroll and scroll... it is annoying...

...can i use your method (panel sets) with macros? or they have to be instruments only?

• arachnaut

To make this an exact solution to your problem you would need to make a panelset for a resolution and save that. Then when you load that version, you will have one of that size.

I prefer to mention how the problem that you see may be solved in a general way.

Panelsets only work with instruments (BTW Blocks are instruments, so you can use this to divide a big block patch into useable parts).

A way to build in small spaces that saves macro-sized units is called a Stacked Macro. The example I uploaded (OMega3) has nested, nested stacked macros which you can examine for ideas.

If you could break up the large GUI into pieces by splitting the ensemble into smaller instruments you could make panelsets, but that will involve changing the snapshots and lots of other issues. It would be like converting your ensemble into block-like pieces.

• arachnaut
    Answer βœ“

I'd like to relate a recent Reaktor collaboration effort that might be informative to some... and not really off-topic: making things fit.

A while back, Catman Dude and I were working on an idea that involved connecting several large ensembles.Β 

One was Spiral. The other was Krypt, and there were more.

I have a 3440x1440 display while Catman had HD format only.

I would hook up things and send to him and he would have trouble navigating.

So we ended up rewriting these ensembles and making them smaller. I also set up panelsets for these.

The end result was the Vortex and Kryptonite series of ensembles:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14143/Β 

Β https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14227/Β 

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14225/Β  Β 

During our collaboration, we made the end result useful for others because of our totally different views on things.

He had a Mac, I had a PC; he worked in Core, I worked in Primary; he was a musician while I was the engineer.

We ended up making a true collaboration of ideas, much better than either of us could do on our own.

He had some medical issues that made computer usage painful, as do I. We were both getting on when we did this. I had just had a diagnosis of stage IV cholangiocarcinoma (cancer of the bile duct) for which I have been treated this past year.

Whereas I recovered completely and feel pretty good now, I believe Catman has passed. The last email from him mentioned some medical issues and I never heard from him again. That was about a year ago.

I miss his collaboration and friendship and the bantering about of the absurdities of Core and Primary.

I have had many collaborations on musical projects in Reaktor with other users. These have been among the most rewarding experiences of my life.

• arachnaut

When I use stacked macros, I need to plan for them, so I use this ensemble to get started.

It has all the placeholders and logic necessary to make a stacked macro set.

• arachnaut

This is the only solution I know of to the problem. It is not automatic and it requires additional effort on the part of the user or builder.

• arachnaut

When I upgraded to 3440x1440 I realized it was my most important system component as I aged.

• arachnaut
    Answer βœ“

I think I see what you may have been looking for. Vector graphics resizing? All the panel elements are fixed size and there is no support for non-raster graphic elements.

• Sunborn
    Answer βœ“

@arachnaut thanks a lot for all your insightful answers!

I understand now that what i actually need (vector graphics) is not supported (yet?) so i will have to try some of your solutions, or leave it as is...

In brief: I am first of all a musician so this is my basic approach. I want to make some stuff to be useful to a musician, not just experiments and explorations (in which of course i am also interesting but as a secondary goal). I am, secondly, a graphic designer, not of a professional, but of a very good level, so my second goal is to make things aesthetic and in harmony, a pleasure to look at! I have seen too many amazing user works but of very poor aesthetic. Last, i am also a programmer, however my skills are basic, i am still learning and i still have a lot to learn.

For the moment i explore and work basically on the Primary mode, which i find it easy to understand. Core is still too complicated for me (but it will be my next step, when i master the Primary mode). Of course i know what is a stacked macro and almost everything else in the primary mode (actually i have seen and experiment on, probably every video exist online by salamanderanagram and few others ☺️). Blocks are great to play with, but i can not really do much with them, so i do not use them (yet!) for creative work. Yet, paradoxally, my first full work (the only one that i have upload so far), it has blocks inside (https://www.native-instruments.com/en/reaktor-community/reaktor-user-library/entry/show/14391/) but this is a rather simple work. Now i am working on 2 synths, exclusively on Primary mode.