Using Midi mode to control Presonus Impact XT

Tony5
Tony5 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Maschine 3 Mikro

MBP M2 - OS Sonama

Presonus Studio One 6 (Professional)

I just bought Maschine 3 and my first use case is I want to control the pads in Impact XT within Studio One DAW from the Maschine 3 Mikro. I've put it in midi mode and selected Maschine as the instrument controlling Impact. I can see midi messages arriving in the DAW but they are firing pads in group G in Impact instead of group A. There are no samples in group G. I have read the manual and researched this topic but still can't find out how to change the pad bank either from S1 or Maschine. I would have thought this would be simple. I tried holding the GROUP button on Maschine (while in midi mode) and pressing the 'A' pad to select the bank. Another way of describing the issue is that Maschine is mapped to the correct notes, i.e C-1 ⇒ C-1, but it's the C-1 in bank G on Impact. It is one whole octave out. Anyone had a similar experience and found the solution?

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,405 Expert
    Answer ✓

I checked for you: the right group on Maschine playing the A page of Impact is group C (mapped starting from C1), but if you load some Impact presets they are mapped differently (bottom left pad is B0), so the pads will be shifted

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    edited October 19

The Group method should work, if you select the right group playing the right octave.

Another (definitive) method you can use is to set up on which octave your desired group will play, by assigning the correct midi notes to the pads in Controller Editor and so setting up your personal template as you wish.

Or you can also change the midi notes on which the pads are receiving in Impact (in the menu at the right of the wave window)

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓

I checked for you: the right group on Maschine playing the A page of Impact is group C (mapped starting from C1), but if you load some Impact presets they are mapped differently (bottom left pad is B0), so the pads will be shifted

• Tony5
    Tony5 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Thanks for taking the trouble to check LostInFoundation. C indeed it is and every thing works. How did you find that out or was it just guesswork? Been scratching my head over the documentation and thinking I got an overcomplicated drum machine for what I wanted! 😀

• LostInFoundation
    edited October 19

I checked in Controller Editor on which octaves the various groups were playing, knowing Page A in Impact is starting with C1.

There are other “problems” if you don’t set up Maschine to send what you want (or Impact to receive what you want): one example is Maschine groups “repeating” the notes between groups. Maschine’s factory mapping always start every group with C, but this means that, having 16 pads, the last top row of notes is always repeated as the first row of the next group (as an example, group A ends with C0, C#0, D0, D#0, notes that get repeated in the first row of group B…and so on). Therefore group C will correctly play the 16 pads of Impact’s page A, but group D will play in the first bottom row the last 4 slots of page A and only at the 5th pad start to play the samples in page B.

My suggestion is to set up exactly what notes YOU want the pads to play, either in Maschine (Controller Editor) or in Impact and create your own template