Samples of Remix Decks run out of sync

Fred_Erick
Fred_Erick Member Posts: 21 Newcomer

Hi, I´m running th elatest version of Traktor Pro 3 on my Mac. I downloaded a couple Techno samples to a Remix Decks, saved it. But when I play a track and start to play a samples from the Remix Deck, its off sync. When I load the same sample to a track deck and sync it to the other track, it plays in perfect sync. Quantize and track sync is enabled.

Even the samples within the Remix Deck arent in sync, do I miss something? I attached the exported Remix Set.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 2,539 mod
    Answer ✓

That's an entirely different beast and i have no experience with it.

This is what i personally do to make remix decks work for me:

• I make sure, the remix deck has a bpm that is +/- 8% of the average bpm i use with my set.
    • I use beat sync.
    • Quantize is set, usually to 1/4, but 1 is fine.
    • I make sure that all samples that are individually synced are also in the bpm ballpark of the set and deck.
    • Those samples' beatgrid are perfectly aligned.
    • I don't use punch mode.
    • One-shots without beats are not synced, bpm doesn't matter with them, but the grid should start where i want the sample to start.
    • Although it's not important for sync, i make sure that all samples i use have individual gain settings that are suitable. If they are outside +/- 12 dB levels, i load them up in Audacity and boost/cut the gain levels by hand.

Also i make a copy of that remix set for use with a different average bpm for faster/slower sets using the rules above.

Here is a series of tutorials for remix decks (and F1 use):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2604CEC0F94334C2

Also helpful; the Traktor manual (remix deck section):

https://www.native-instruments.com/ni-tech-manuals/traktor-pro-manual/en/advanced-usage-tutorials#working-with-remix-decks

Answers

• Sûlherokhh

In generaly, don't go above +/- 8% tempo for the remix deck (you may have to change the base bpm of the deck manually by clicking on the number; the lower one on your picture).

Check if the sample beat grid is on point and, if not, adjust it with the buttons visible next to the magenta trigger type.

• Sûlherokhh

One more thing. If you are talking about the sample cell 2, slot 1 of deck D: I assume you dragged the sample from the deck above. In that case it will catch a loop of the loop size from the current cue marker, even if that is not positioned on a grid marker, which may cause the offset.

• Fred_Erick

The +/-8% arent the problem, its that every track got its own tempo, I´m really frustrated about that.

• Fred_Erick

Ok, looks like I have to change from track sync to beat sync, that it works, but is that true?

• Sûlherokhh

It may help. That way the remix deck will not skip phase by accident.

• Fred_Erick

But is this the right way? How does other users use the Remix Decks?

• Sûlherokhh

I use beat sync with remix decks.

• Fred_Erick

Another question, so if I understand beatsync right, it would help, by syncing two Laptops via Ableton Link, right?

• Sûlherokhh
    Answer ✓

That's an entirely different beast and i have no experience with it.

This is what i personally do to make remix decks work for me:

• I make sure, the remix deck has a bpm that is +/- 8% of the average bpm i use with my set.
    • I use beat sync.
    • Quantize is set, usually to 1/4, but 1 is fine.
    • I make sure that all samples that are individually synced are also in the bpm ballpark of the set and deck.
    • Those samples' beatgrid are perfectly aligned.
    • I don't use punch mode.
    • One-shots without beats are not synced, bpm doesn't matter with them, but the grid should start where i want the sample to start.
    • Although it's not important for sync, i make sure that all samples i use have individual gain settings that are suitable. If they are outside +/- 12 dB levels, i load them up in Audacity and boost/cut the gain levels by hand.

Also i make a copy of that remix set for use with a different average bpm for faster/slower sets using the rules above.

Here is a series of tutorials for remix decks (and F1 use):

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2604CEC0F94334C2

Also helpful; the Traktor manual (remix deck section):

https://www.native-instruments.com/ni-tech-manuals/traktor-pro-manual/en/advanced-usage-tutorials#working-with-remix-decks

• Fred_Erick

Thats awsome. By Quantize, you mean the Quantize in the global section, right? But where can I set the value?

• Sûlherokhh

The remix deck has it's own quantize mode. Global quantize should be on, but the remix deck quantize should also be on. Use 'full' deck size. There is number at the top right going from 1/4 to 32. click on it. If you see a blue dot, quantize is ON. Read the manual please for the details.

Press the 'i' at the top right of the traktor window to activate the mouse over information for all GUI elements. This is really helpful to identify all the functions.

Here is a more recent tutorial with a guy manually populating his remix set with samples:

• Sûlherokhh

In your picture in post #1, you can see the number 4 followed by a grey dot.

That is the quantization (4 beats). Grey means quantize is OFF. Click on it (it turns blue) and your samples get triggered on-beat, but set the number to 1 or less.

• Fred_Erick

Ah ok, Thanks a lot

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,954 mod

Samples can have an empty space in the begining, This is why it is best to load samples into a Track Deck first, then loop it at the size you want and finally drag + drop the loop into a Remix Deck Cell.

For Ableton Link you want to have BeatSync enabled. The BPM drifts too much on TempoSync setting.

This discussion has been closed.