Is installing everything hard on only disk space or on more also?

Guitarbinge86
Guitarbinge86 Member Posts: 58 Member
edited 9:21AM in Komplete General

considering 'komplete ultimate' has a lot of material, many people that have it suggest you only install what you want and will actually use. When I first bought it and got my new PC I went and installed everything… Is "only installing what you will use" because of your disk space or does having everything installed make it harder on your RAM or CPU or something?

Best Answer

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,622 mod
    Answer ✓

It uses more disk space of course. The other thing that can take longer is scan times when you open things like Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt. Apart from that, there's not a performance hit just having things installed on the disk if they're not used.

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,622 mod
    Answer ✓

It uses more disk space of course. The other thing that can take longer is scan times when you open things like Komplete Kontrol and Kontakt. Apart from that, there's not a performance hit just having things installed on the disk if they're not used.

• Guitarbinge86

that makes sense. Thank you. If I ever get a new PC setup I may take the route of only installing what I need, however, for now i don't mind it taken longer to load up my DAW and I'm not low on disk space, so I'll keep all my vSTs and samples installed. Thanks again

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 942 Guru

There's another dimension to this question. Is it possible that you may be on travel, and need to hear some sounds or install some products, but not have access to high speed internet?

Here at home, I get over 1,000 MBPS. Even the biggest products take less than 10 minutes to download and install. If I'm on vacation or visiting family and they're only getting 8 or 12, it's going to take way too long to download a library that I want to install. And then anybody gaming in that house gets on my case for hogging the bandwith.

So my habit has always been to ensure that I have ample disk space, and then just install everything.

I'm not saying that everybody "should" do it my way. That's just how I do it, and why.

• Guitarbinge86

Good point. I like that approach. Thanks for the help.

This discussion has been closed.