Any New tips or tricks to make sure Maschine/PC/Audio Interface interact well?

Options
2»

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

@Sequencesounds

Why does Maschine register close to 100% CPU when using 25% in Task Manager, 80% when system is 20% etc

Maschine (and other audio programs) does not show CPU usage, but audio buffer usage. If you double buffer size, Maschine "CPU usage" drops to half, I guess.

Also, you have to look at load of individual cores. If one core is 80% and the rest 20%, Maschine will show higher "CPU use" than if all cores have 50% load...

So, buffer size plays big role and also if load is spread evenly between cores or unevenly.

Generally, proper DAWs do better than Maschine, they use all cores available and distribute the load on cores more evenly.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited May 2022
    Options

Sorry to hear that, you got a beast of a computer so something is definitely wrong there...

I would just upgrade to Windows 11, it's supposedly optimized for Alder Lake. Hard to say if it will fix your problem but should or there would be tons of threads about 12900 CPU's and afaik your is the first. IK Windows folks tend to hate every new version and OS upgrade generally but sometimes it's necessary.

Not sure if everything from NI (or other SW/HW you might own) is fully compatible or officially supported in Win11 so double-check that first.

This new generation of Alder Lake chips also relies heavily on Windows 11. Microsoft has optimized its new OS for Intel’s Thread Director, supposedly allowing it to better manage tasks across these new CPU cores.

• August Alchemy
    August Alchemy Member Posts: 21 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

@D-One I think I've solved it, still testing but so far so good. I disabled SpeedStep and C-state and things are running really good so far. We'll see. About Windows 11,There are still a handful of software I have that's not compatible with W11. Reaktor is a biggie for me.

Anyway the build is a dream, especially coming from laptop only production. I love being able to run all of my Slate and Ash stuff and the computer is not Phased one bit.

• August Alchemy
    Options

@Kubrak

I think the disabling of Speedstep is the ticket. So far, it's been great. I'm waiting on a few software packages to be compatible with W11 before I switch. FM8 and Reaktor to name a few. Outside of Maschine, this setup is a dream.

We'll give a week, to see if it stays as stable as it is now.

• D-One
    edited May 2022
    Options

Oh... That sucks, so you have to wait it out for compatibility reasons. That solution should work, I've seen people do that when overclocking for stability.

I'm not super familiar with this new-gen so I might be saying something stupid but I think by disabling those two options you basically lose your e-cores and the ability to use the idle state (?), you kind of lose some features of the chip but it's an OK temporary solution while you wait for W11 compatibility. (windows is starting to behave like MacOS lol)

I noticed someone mentioned the MSI Z690 boards have a bug related to this issue, not sure if it has been fixed since on a BIOS update but could be worth checking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/qv5r68/i9_12900k_just_downclocks_itself_by_100_mhz/

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,134 Guru
    Options

I notice people here saying that @August Alchemy has a beast of a computer........but IMO not in one respect, and that's the graphics.

It's like an unfinished masterpiece. Everything is top notch apart from the graphics. :-)

That can actually affect the audio more than you might think. I once had an issue with audio breakup in Ableton Live Suite, and couldn't figure out why. Then I noticed the issue went away when the program was minimized. It turned out to be related to my graphics card drivers.

• Kubrak
    Options

Yes, but the fact that bad GPU driver affects audio does not mean that one needs strong GPU. It means one needs GPU with driver that works correctly.

I use only iGPU and no problem...

• August Alchemy
    Options

@D-One

Thanks for the link, I’ll make sure to try that just in case my version of the Bios is doing the same.

Also , good point about the potential reduction of cores. I still have Speed Shift enabled. It’s just doing it by itself instead of working with Speed Step. Maschine just doesn’t like both of them together.

Once NI gets everything compatible with W11 , I’m all in. I definitely don’t want to keep it like this.

• D-One
    edited May 2022
    Options

Yes, I agree. I've benchmarked my build with and without a GPU and the difference it made was quite significant and surprising, I would never guess it could make a difference for Audio but it does. I guess not using the iGPU frees resources, especially for hi-res screen users; the amount of scaling might also have an impact.

This does not mean one needs a high-end GPU tho, just that a dedicated GPU helps quite a bit, so if for someone who wants to squeeze a bit of an extra performance a 100-150$ GPU can be a good investment.

• Kubrak
    Options

Well, you are right that using iGPU means there is less power for CPU and so little bit less audio-performance.

• August Alchemy
    Options

@D-One Actually, I do have a GPU coming.

Even though I do think I've solved my issue , If it is my iGPU, it can't be the iGPU by itself ,,,correct? If that was true, I would think it would give me problems with other audio software, especial Ableton. I am a bit perturbed that I have to turn off speed step just for Maschine to behave. But that seems to work. Speed Shift is working pretty well now without speed step but I was wanting to get everything to work without any weird alterations or overclocking. Windows 11 is my next hope, but even then, it's strange that I need Windows 11 just for Maschine. Anyways, it's all working now, but before I read your response to the iGPU, I was actually thinking of not installing the dedicated GPU since I got everything to work. Who freaking knows, Maschine may not like the fact that it heats up my pc a tad bit... or may not agree with the driver. I'm scared to touch the damn thing now :)

• Kubrak
    edited May 2022
    Options

I guess Ableton and so on address 12th generation Intels. And override what Win10 offer by default. Maschine probably does not have special "patch" for this CPU family under Win10...

• D-One
    edited May 2022
    Options

No, it's not a GPU thing, in regards to your original issue a GPU makes no difference.

I only mentioned it in reply to what @PK The DJ said because this particular sub-topic is never really discussed, people tend to assume a dedicated GPU doesn't make any difference for Audio which is a wrong assumption. With or without a GPU you still got a great computer.

• August Alchemy
    Options

@D-One

@Kubrak

You guys nailed it. I upgraded to W11 today and after some re-tweaks ( basically the same windows optimization that everyone should do) Maschine is working fine. This is with all of my Bios settings back to default. The computer is actually running faster with the default setting other than xmp for the ram.

I think a dedicated GPU will help even more because in latency mon the only drivers that are using a lot of resources are the Nvidia integrated drivers and Kernel .

My temps are WAY better also with the default settings 35c down from 50c.

Thanks for your help. Disabling of Speedstep was a workaround for those who want to stick with W10 but it has its drawbacks.

• Kubrak
    Options

Great it has helped. It took me few days to get re-remembered that 12th gen Intels require Win11.