Naor2411 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

would love some new NI instruments to the collection

Good luck everyone!

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 620 Guru
    edited April 26
    Options

IIRC there has been at least a few psytrance-optimized VSTs feartured on matrixsynth.com .. you'd need to dig in though, the posts are several years old by now.. But I specifically remember there being a VST made precisely for creating psytrance kick/bass.

I dont do psytrance myself so did not look into them at the time..

Ahh okok, found them.. the company is called "Eplex 7 DSP" - here are some videos:

Here is the developer's website:

https://eplex7.com/

• komthusr
    komthusr Member Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Just load some expansions for the kick and bass. You can always change the sample's properties to suit the style better.

• jolly Dodger
    jolly Dodger Member Posts: 55 Member
    Options

BPM high, The bass and kick are short, both tuned often 5th apart, and play alternately, never together, soo both short, tweak ADSR to get that pumping trance bass groove - keep it round the sweet spot of 53Hz. Use samples or synths.. Plenty of vids online.. and remember kids… too much acid, not enough love 🙃❤️

• katto
    katto Member Posts: 7 Member
    edited April 30
    Options

Creating Psytrance kick and bass in standalone Maschine with onboard sounds and effects:

PSYTRANCE KICK

1. Start with Kick synth and create clean snappy kick
    • Engine: Sub
    • Short Decay: under 50
    • Bend: 100
    • Time: 0
    • Attack: Thin & Amount 100%

2. Resample Kick by rendering to new audio sample (Normalize sample and trim)

3. Apply Modulation to resampled kick: Decay around 30-60ms and Pitch 100%

4. Resample to audio again (Normalize sample and trim) and re-apply the same pitch modulation from step 3

5. Resample kick again (Only Trim) and add Compressor and adjust to taste (for example otherwise default but: -40 Threshold, 85release, Gain -1.8)

6. Result should be very snappy psy style kick (further process with EQ etc to fit your song)

7. TIP: WHEN TRIMMING SAMPLE: Be careful to not trim too tight on the beginning of the audio wave, because Maschine softens the attack somehow if it's trimmed too close. (Bug?)

PSYTRANCE BASS

1. Start with Bass synth to create saw bass with tight envelope
    • Shape: 70
    • Oct: -2
    • Cutoff: around 20hz
    • Resonance: 0
    • Mod amount: around 90%
    • Decay: 38%
    • Drive 42%

2. Add Compressor (default setting is already fine)

3. EQ to cut Excess boom around 120-160hz (DEPENDING from the Note you use) & EQ cut around 2khz of excess high-mids (depending from note)

4. use single note in Oct2 for the bass

5. Resample the bass note (Normalize sample and trim)

6. Adjust EQ / Filter for to fit the song etc

SEQUENCING PSYTRANCE KICK & BASS

1. Obviously kick every 1/4th Note

2. Bass 3x 1/16th notes after every Kick

3. Lower velocity of every first 1/16th bass (after every kick) to 80velocity and leave rest at default 100 velocity

4. Have the Bass at Polyphony 1 to prevent possible overlapping

5. (Keep further processing the kick and bass with EQ and other effects to fit your song (be creative))

• hamsteralliance
    hamsteralliance Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I like using the Signalizer VST to see what the phase of sounds are. It would be useful for ensuring that the phase of your bass and kick are in alignment. I think that alignment is pretty key to a Psytrance type kick.

• moai
    moai Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I use the samples from the expansions for the kick and bass

• krrk
    krrk Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

TRK-01 seems a good choice without going to deep into sound design.

• Simon A. Billington
    Simon A. Billington Member Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Well samples can be quite sterile/static/ordinary/mediocre if you just drop them on the timeline like many do. My suggestion has always to be use a sampler, or sampler designed for drums like Battery.

This way you can add in Velocity, filters and envelope modulation to make them less stagnant. Plus there's the other types of features that samplers come standard with.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 183 Helper
    Options

I was surprised what I found in Ambience and FX,Impact ECT sounds. Hidden unbelievably useful quality sounds.

• wallbach
    wallbach Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Moinsen, ist denn jetzt zu Terminen einer Veröffentlichung was gesagt worden?

• Shed Maa
    Shed Maa Member Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I'm joining the thread no lie I want to win something. I don't do sound design i'm a preset man.

• Impermanence
    Impermanence Member Posts: 131 Advisor
    Options

99% of time I start with presets. I wobble the knobs and add things and routings.

• GSilver
    GSilver Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

TRK-1 works wonders.

• donmaddonald
    donmaddonald Member Posts: 50 Member
    Options

I don't know if is relevant, but in any genere, I like to start with a sampled kick and than shape it other than transient shaper compressors etc, also to mess with the start and end point of the sample. great result without any processing, just keep in mind to avoid unwanted clips.

sometimes I like to maybe synthesise it but for that I more often use my external synths, as it more for enjoyment than necessity.