Psytrance style kick and bass

Options
Humantree01
Humantree01 Member Posts: 20 Member
edited April 19 in Maschine

Has anyone made these sound good from on board sounds and effects or expansions? I realize I could sculpt sound on my computer on massive, but I dont enjoy working on the computer. There are so many videos for so many genres, but nothing I have found for true psytrance.

Tagged:

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,109 mod
    edited April 10
    Options

Hello,

maybe have a look into TRK-1 it's a reaktor kick and bass engine. Also available separate. But of course you can do it with the sampler too, just use the envelope on pitch as a start

• Humantree01
    Options

Thank you! Ill try to find it!

• Uwe303
    Options

If I have some time I can try to make you some examples and upload it as a maschine project file.

• Humantree01
    Options

That would be really great! Also, just some tips would be fantastic. Take all the time you like.

• Humantree01
    Options

I would love to try to map that trk1 to try the tip you gave me

• Simon A. Billington
    Simon A. Billington Member Posts: 51 Member
    edited April 11
    Options

You can get away with using a synth like Super 8 too.

The kicks seem to be very similar in sense to an 808 with more resonance on the filter, at least initially and more freedom with oscillator choice.

Likewise the basses seem to be mostly short and plucky, at least on a fundamental level, also with a little resonance. I would keep it simple with one oscillator, and maybe a sub.

With the second oscillator I would potentially get more inventive and either use it to blend in with the main oscillator to inject some more interesting custom tones or do, something even more crazy and wild with it.

You'd also want a bit of eq, compression and a touch of distortion for a more upfront sound.

Considering the above, though, while Super-8 or even the Moog Model-D could work well, I think a more modern style synth would be better suited because it will introduce fresh modern options that you can use for more creative tones. Pluss there is potentially that need for additional effects.

Massive-X could potentially work well here or TRK-1 as was previously suggested.

For kicks I'd much rather have them in drum instrument like Batter and keep all my drums together. So this is where I would consider sampling Massive and importing the results into Battery.

• Humantree01
    Options

Thank you for that very thoughtful answer. Can you think of any way to do this in the box, with touching an outside synth or daw?

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,358 Expert
    Options

Do Maschine’s internal Drum Synth Kick and Bass Synth engines not work for you?

IMO both should be able to produce sounds that also work for psytrance. Naturally it helps if you already know how to apply synth parameters to produce the desired results.

• Uwe303
    Options

do you mean a kick like this? solo every pad one by one

also browse for "zap" and "laser" in the maschine and other libraries, you can also add a bassdrum with a zap together if you like that sound

• Humantree01
    Options

Thats a fun idea!

• Uwe303
    edited April 12
    Options

This might also be helpful, you can generally apply it to most synths with an envelope to freq function, if you own massive or massive x, i would use those, they have both an advanced envelope.

• Simon A. Billington
    Simon A. Billington Member Posts: 51 Member
    Options

If you were referring to me those times WERE for using virtual synths inside the DAW

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 182 Helper
    Options

Massive, Monark and Poly & Bass Sinth are cable for perfect grooveing Bass lines and Kicks can be designed with internal kick module and more precise with Massive.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,603 admin
    Options

Join this week's chat for a chance to win next month's secret release

Hey everyone

We've got a major release lined up for next month, and we're excited to offer you the chance to score it for free. Here's how:

• Leave a comment in this thread to automatically enter the raffle

One lucky winner will be chosen from this thread next month. We can't reveal all the details just yet, but trust me, it's going to be awesome.

Looking forward to reading your take on psytrance kick and bass! And may the odds be ever in your favor.

---

Terms & Conditions: This competition is being conducted by NATIVE INSTRUMENTS GmbH from April 19, 2024 until May 23, 2024. By entering the competition, participants agree to these terms and conditions. All personal information is protected by privacy and data protection laws and will not be shared with third parties. Participants must be 18 years of age or older. Employees of Native Instruments are not eligible to participate. By submitting an entry on the online community, participants can win a free NFR license of one product released in May 2024. One winner will be chosen at random. The winner will be notified by direct message, and is required to notify Native Instruments that s/he accepts the prize within one week after receiving the notification. If Native Instruments does not receive notification within this period, the winner forfeits the prize and Native Instruments reserves the right to choose another winner. A cash payout of the prize is ruled out. The right of appeal is excluded. The laws of the Federal Republic of Germany apply exclusively; Berlin, Germany, shall be the exclusive court of jurisdiction. 

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,157 Guru
    Options

I believe Humantree01 is using a Maschine+ standalone.

Although it's not mentioned in the first post, it does mention not wanting to work on the computer, and the M+ is in Humantree01's profile.

I'd also suggest trying the built in drum synths, plus of course you can always Google for psytrance samples.