Feature Request: Keyboard Shortcuts for Ratings

Options
christauff
christauff Member Posts: 6 Member
edited February 27 in Mapping Traktor

Either assignable or pre-assigned, is it possible to get a Keyboard Shortcuts for Star Ratings (0-5)?

I know this question has been asked in the past, but I've been on Traktor a LONG time, and given the fact that I spend hours a week sorting through tracks, ratings are literally the first thing I do to sort what to keep and what to delete, and then, what to play. I used to be able to do this in Mp3Tag, but no longer. It's painful to sort in advance when I live in my S4 MK3 for nearly everything else, then import tracks I've already pre-rated.

Everyone uses the rating field differently, but we have 5 Stars (6, counting "None") to work with, and they are notoriously finicky to select with a mouse or trackpad. I'm a programmer and sysadmin, and if I can avoid using a mouse, I will always use a keyboard.

As a programmer, I am aware of technical debt, and past architectural decisions that can make these sorts of feature requests more difficult/complex than they may seem to a non-technical person, but I think this might be straight forward to implement.

Obviously, this is not an open-source product, but since I cannot write ratings for import into an open-tagging format from a third party software solution, it makes sense to ask the Dev team if it's possible to make this native to Traktor.

Thank you for your consideration. 😀

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,376 Expert
    Options

Would be cool.

What I do for now is use OneTagger. An open source solution made by Traktor users.

There you can add genres, mood, stars, whathave you. And nearly everything can be done by shortcuts.

• christauff
    Options

I'd never heard of that, thank you. I just grabbed it and will give it a shot.

• christauff
    Options

BTW, this is a lovely bit of programming with a striking GUI, and quite well integrated with open APIs from the major music platforms. But, every time I select a track, I get an error (tried about 12 different ways):

The documentation is rather good, but while I have no problems dealing with some "RTFM & messing around," I can't seem to select any tracks to edit, without this error popping

Did I miss something obvious, @lord-carlos? I downloaded the pre-compiled Windows binary; though I have no problem building from scratch using rustupnodejsVisual Studio 2019 Build Tools, and pnpm, but it seems slightly buggy.

Please excuse the noob questions from a first time user of OneTagger.

**This particular experience speaks to my request to the NI Devs, as this is the type of scenario I'm trying to avoid hacking around.

• lord-carlos
    Options

Best bet is to search on github OneTagger repo for the error, and if you can't find any bug for it, open one. They are often quite quick with fixing them.

And if you open a bug, tell them what file format you are using.

• wayfinder
    wayfinder Member Posts: 366 Guru
    edited February 19
    Options

I'm using foobar2000 for this, it's easy to set up keyboard shortcuts there! I use 1-5 for the rating, 6 for no rating. I've also recently switched to ColumnsUI in foobar, so I can now edit tags inside the playlist view, so I think I will be moving track prep to foobar completely so that I don't have to deal with Traktor's flickering. I'd already set up keyboard shortcuts to assign Genre, and now I can add comments, work on artist/title stuff etc, all in the same program. With the added bonus that the text fields in foobar are regular text fields in which all the normal things you'd expect in a text field work (which is NOT the case in Traktor). The only thing left to do in Traktor is checking the beatgridding and the key.

• christauff
    Options

I will open a bug once I track down the problem. I like the interface and general workflow.

• christauff
    Options

I have played with foobar2000, but it's been a while. I'm going to grab it and give it another shot. Thank you.

• christauff
    edited February 19
    Options

Biggest problem thus far with Foobar2000 is the same as before, when I used it last year, which is probably why I gave up initially on using it the first go around:

"Unrecoverable playback error: Unsupported audio stream format"

Checked all of the related subreddit threads (there are many), then, I start marching down the path of this user on reddit (<--my exact issue).

Apparently, this is super common with Traktor and other devices, and seemingly hard to fix (many smart suggestions, no rock-solid solution), even with Foobar2000 ASIO plugin. I'm even willing to do something more complex, but this should just work, right?

**The usually repetitive "here is how you fix it" copy-pasta is everywhere.** No, it doesn't work, though I tried each and every one, just to be sure.

I'm running up-to-date Win10, Foobar2000, all updates to NI apps, fully patched.

Any fast solutions on getting Foobar2000 playback piped through shared (not exclusive) Traktor S4 MK3? This must be related to why VLC won't play nice, which has also been irking me a bit. I have no idea why Windows Media Player (shudder) works just fine.

I can, of course, just use the onboard ASUS sound card, and not worry about this, but stupid Windows Media Player just works, and that pisses me off in a vague sort of way. 😒

• wayfinder
    Options

Interesting - never had that, but I don't use a lot of FLAC so that's probably why. I hope you end up finding a good solution!

• Harald Walker
    Harald Walker Member Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Good suggestion @christauff. It should be there and I didn’t even realise that it doesn’t exit. Indeed clicking those stars is a pain. This should not require yet another workaround with a 3rd party software.

• lord-carlos
    Options

Huh, I wonder if your foobar and OneTagger problem are related.

Both work fine with my flac files.

If you open a bug report with OneTagger you should attach one of your files.

• wayfinder
    Options

huh, maybe it's an OS level codec problem, i wonder if getting an up-to-date codec pack would fix it

• lord-carlos
    edited February 20
    Options

Heh, maybe he has Windows N edition. It's some weird limited version where a bunch of codecs are missing my default.

If that is the case you would need the "Media Feature Pack for Windows N"

To check your version and edition of Windows, right click the start button on the Windows task bar, and select "System." Your computer's version and edition will be listed here. If your computer has an "N" or "NK" version of Windows, you'll need to install the Media Feature Pack from Microsoft here.

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 232 Pro
    Options

This gets a HUGE upvote from me.

This would be awesome for prepping. But not just Star Rating - ALL tagging should be key/midi mappable. It would mean having some tables somewhere to store our own tagging values, but, this would truly kick ass.

Isn't this available in Rekordbox? If it is, then, it should be on the radarof teh Traktor devs...