Pressing Keys on S61 MK3 does not yield any result

Options
engels1920
engels1920 Member Posts: 14 Member

I recently purchased a MacBook Pro, M3 Pro, running OS Sonoma 14.3, along with Komplete Kontrol 14 Ultimate and the S61 Mk3 keyboard, specifically.

About a week ago, I installed the Komplete Kontrol S61 with its serial number. Initially, everything worked smoothly for a couple of days. However, now when I press the keys on the S61, it doesn't trigger any effects on stand-alone Komplete instruments like Battery, Kontakt, or even in the DAW. While I can still select different instruments, effects, and other features from the Komplete Kontrol keyboard, pressing the keys doesn't produce any results.

I checked if NIHardware Agent and NIHostintegrationAgent are missing (System Preferences and choose Users & Groups > Login) and they are there. Tried removing and reinstalling as well but nothing works. All the midi settings (Input/output) are also as suggested by NI.

I've already raised a ticket with support, and they've asked me to run the NI support tool. However, when I attempted to run it, my Mac displayed a message saying "It cannot verify that this app is free from malware," and it couldn't be opened. I've sent a screenshot of this error to the support team, but I haven't received any response regarding this support tool issue. Unfortunately, they're unable to provide support via call or screen share.

I'm now at a crossroads and unsure whether I should return this hardware and get a new one. Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• engels1920
    edited February 22 Answer ✓
    Options

Got my New S61 MK3, it has been more than 10 days and it is working great. Thanks for all the support

Answers

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

When you get the error about unable to verify app, you need to open your MacOS settings, go to Privacy & Security, scroll down to Security and then click the button "open anyway"

Cheers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

@engels1920 When initially installed everything, you installed the hardware connection service, right?

If not, please go to Native Access and install it.

Make sure to give full disk access to: Komplete Kontrol, Hardware Connection Service, Kontakt 7 and your DAW: How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

One user fixed a similar issue with the following, also worth a check: https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206862119-My-USB-MIDI-Device-isn-t-working-on-my-Mac

Did that help?

• geiger167
    geiger167 Member Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Make sure you haven't accidently ticked the midi 2 box in midi settings as I did a few weeks ago. This makes the keyboard silent when using Komplete kontrol standalone or in daw. Worth a check anyway.

• engels1920
    Options

@reffahcs , thank you for the reminder.

@Jeremy_NI and @geiger167, I appreciate your responses. I've reviewed the suggestions you provided.

I've already submitted a support tool file to Native support, including all the necessary information. Additionally, I've provided a screen recording demonstrating the MIDI and audio settings. However, the support team is still requesting further explanation or discussion from me. I'm not sure about what specific details they're seeking.

Given the challenges with the support team's effectiveness, I'm thinking about the option of returning the keyboard and obtaining a replacement. This way, if the keyboard is indeed faulty, I can have it replaced. Alternatively, if it's functioning correctly, I'll have a new keyboard without any issues.

• reffahcs
    edited February 4
    Options

Can you clarify what you mean by keys? Are you talking about the buttons and knobs used to adjust parameters are not working, or the actual piano keys? I ask because there's a known issue with some computers (including Macs) involving USB that results in odd behavior of the keyboard.

Issues run from the keyboard not working at all to the keyboard sending MIDI notes but Kontrol integration does not work.

Do you happen to have a USB hub by chance? You'll need a powered one, or alternatively a regular hub and supply your keyboard with additional power.

At the very least, your keyboard should show up as a MIDI device. If it does, then you can use something like MIDI Monitor to see if your keyboard is in fact sending MIDI messages.

Apologies if you've already tried all this with NI. I just hate to see you left with a bad experience. I had a bit of trouble with mine at first too, but it's working great now.

MIDI Monitor: https://www.snoize.com/midimonitor/

Official NI info on USB issue

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/111829#Comment_111829

• engels1920
    Options

@reffahcs.

my actual piano keys are not working but buttons and knobs are working. I can also select different instrument and effect but pressing the actual is not giving any result.

I am using Cal digit TS3 plus_thunderbolt 3 and it is powered. I’ll check interchanging the wire and port tonight,as you mentioned… I’ll also check out these links as well… thanks for the suggestion.

• reffahcs
    Options

Very strange indeed, usually with the USB issue, it's the other way around.

Without any NI software open, keyboard in regular "Default MIDI Template" if you run MIDI Monitor, you should be able to see MIDI notes being sent

Side note, best to keep the MIDI version on 1.0. If you switch it to 2.0, then you have to make adjustments in Audio MIDI Setup. And switching back and forth between versions causes issues.

• engels1920
    Options

Upon hitting the key I got message "Invalid" from midi monitor

@reffahcs

• reffahcs
    Options

Unselect Spy on Output and make sure only MIDI sources are selected and then try again. The output is after it's been "processed" so there's a chance that some random software is messing with MIDI. If you select the Kontrol from MIDI sources, that's directly from the keyboard.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 414 Guru
    Options

I think the keyboard is faulty. It might be that internal connection between keys and mainboard has gotten loose during transport. I would ask the shop to return it and replace with another.

• engels1920
    edited February 5
    Options

Yes!!I believe returning the item and getting a new one seems like the best decision for me now. Since I purchased from Amazon, the return and replacement process should be smooth and swift.

@Jeremy_NI What is the best way to unregister Komplete Kontrol or any software associated with it? I did not install any software that came with it because I already own Komplete Kontrol 14 Ultimate, but I still need to unregister the hardware plus some software associated with it. I am ordering a new one and will be registering it on the same computer.

I am very grateful to everyone who took the time to assist me in this matter. Your support and input are greatly appreciated.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    edited February 5
    Options

@engels1920 Before returning the unit to Amazon, I would make sure 100% it's not a software issue. If not you might be confronted with the exact same problem with another device.

I've checked your support request, from what I read, it was only mentioning Kontakt 7 there, that might have confused my colleague.

Can you check on your keyboard, press SETTINGS MIDI, Hardware, navigate until MIDI Version selection, make sure it is set to MIDI 1.0. Reboot the keyboard if needed.

You also should see a prompt to do the following:

This how to proceed:

https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/206862119-My-USB-MIDI-Device-isn-t-working-on-my-Mac

Can you open Komplete Kontrol in standalone on your computer? Can you check thet the MK3 (main) is selected as an input?

Can you also try these steps? It has helped other users in this situaton: If that did not help, if you can test on a different computer, that would be the definitive test for a hardware failure vs software setup.

• engels1920
    Options

I have provided the support team with all the details I've shared here. Also, I have confirmed that the MK3 (main) is selected as the input. However, the issue persists: the piano keys themselves are unresponsive, while the buttons and knobs function as expected.

Unfortunately, I don't have a different computer to test it on. I was hoping that NI support would be able to assist with troubleshooting after I provided them with a support tool file and screen recording demonstrating the MIDI and audio settings.

In this case, I believe it would be best for me to return the item and get a new one within the return window period. Could you please advise me on the best way to unregister Komplete Kontrol or any software? if there is any? I am ordering a new one and will be registering it on the same computer.

• reffahcs
    Options

Looks like others beat me too it but it does appear that there could be an issue with the keyboard itself. The only other way to really rule out a software issue on your laptop would be to plug it directly into another piece of MIDI gear or take it to a friends and borrow their computer. I realize those may not be realistic options however.