MK 3 encoder replacement?

Options
ginko
ginko Member Posts: 23 Member
edited December 2023 in Maschine

Just beginning with Maschine.

I have found a used MK3 available at a price I can afford but with a dodgy encoder. I'm fine opening things up and basic soldering. Is it a good idea? I can save myself a bunch of money! The overall condition is good apart from the encoder.

@D-One ...I saw your teardown, but you didn't show replacing the encoder. Was it OK?

Either this, or I go get a Mk3 Mikro for a similar price? I have the Mk2 Komplete Kontrol keyboard.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Ace_of_DiscaL
    Ace_of_DiscaL Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

Can you help me brighten my LED screen on an MK3?

I have set the "Contrast" preference via software to the maximum possible value.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Used MK3's are going for between 200 and 300£, so make sure that deal is good enough to justify the knob fix + shipping.

@ginko said

I have found a used MK3 available at a price I can afford but with a dodgy encoder. I'm fine opening things up and basic soldering. Is it a good idea? I can save myself a bunch of money! The overall condition is good apart from the encoder.

I did it and I am bad at soldering, it's a "do it at your own risk" endeavor, so beware. Also, make sure the seller didn't already try to replace the knob and messed up the Knob PCB, I'd ask and use his statement as proof.

@D-One ...I saw your teardown, but you didn't show replacing the encoder. Was it OK?

I didn't show because at the time I was unsure if it would work long-term but it did, all good!

Some notes:

• Because the knob is of a higher quality and a different brand / model from the original it's noticeably more stiff to rotate, but unlike the original ones it did not become looser with time.
    • The PCB has lead-free solder, so you need to flood it with regular solder before you remove the OG solder or you will need a very high-temperature iron and have a bigger risk of messing up the PCB (mentioning this just in case others reading don't know)
    • The knob I used has a shaft shorter than the original but that did not cause any issues.

Reference for the endless pot I used: RV112FF-40B1-15F-0B20K-0068, it's easy to google.

If you do some research you can probably find the model with the same shaft length.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Open your own thread about that... But I doubt you will get an answer as replacing the backlight of the screens is not trivial, just accessing them requires removing the transparent acrylic afaik, using heat to do it can warp the glass (plexiglass or acrylic) and then you end up worse than you started.

If you're brave just open it up, search for a part name or number, and try to find a replacement online, no guarantee it has the part number written on it tho... So it can be a risk for nothing.

• ginko
    ginko Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Hey D-One, really useful, thanks a million and especially a good tip about finding out if the owner has tried already, I hadn't thought of that..👍️

• daslicht
    daslicht Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

NI Still don't sell spare parts ?!