SD Card not recognised by Maschine Plus

Options
HugoClubs
HugoClubs Member Posts: 56 Member
edited November 2023 in Maschine

Hi,

I bought a brand new Samsung EVO Plus 256GB SD card for my Maschine Plus.

When I insert the SD card nothing happens. I press FILE/Save + STORAGE and nothing happens. The card is not recognised.

I remove the card, I insert the card. Sometimes I do this procedure 3 times, 5 times, 10 times. I noticed that there is a higher chance for the SD card to finally be recognised if I insert it very slowly.

And the following message appears:

I select FORMAT, another screen message appears and quickly disappears (impossible to read what's on there), and then the following message appears:

The SD card works fine on my computer and I've formatted it (exFAT) multiple times.

In fact, when I insert the SD card in this dongle and connect the dongle to the maschine+ USB port...

... there is an immediate message that appears on my Maschine:

Is my device faulty, like the one reported by this user?

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/comment/81576#Comment_81576

Are there any solutions for this or do I have to return my Maschine+ to receive a replacement?

Best Answers

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,357 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

Are any other SD cards properly recognized by your M+? Did you try to use a different micro card adapter?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Keep in mind the advertised speed is "up to xxx" it does not guarantee that speed, so in that case the card could very well be legit.

I also have another card that advertises 170 MB/s and it does not reach that speed, it caps at 80/90 just like the other one I showed, all cards I tried to cap a that, the theoretical limit of UHS-1 is around 100MB so it adds up.

So, AFAIK there's no point in buying anything faster than 100MB/s, especially since Maschine itself caps at 60MB/s (USB2), trickery to go above is probably only for video cameras or using UHS-2 readers, idk

Answers

• ozon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Are any other SD cards properly recognized by your M+? Did you try to use a different micro card adapter?

• HugoClubs
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hi. Thanks for your answer and suggestions.

After writing this post I search for a 128GB Chinese micro SD card I have bought years ago and it worked (with a Kingston adapter). And then I kind of LOLed and as a last resort did try your suggestion of using a different micro adapter for the Samsung EVO micro SD card, and IT WORKED! LOL!

So the problem is on the SAMSUNG adapter (even thought it works perfectly on my computer).

The samsung pinouts are shorter and the last pin is also thinner, and apparently the Maschine+ can't read this adapters.

TLDR: The SAMSUNG micro SD card works using a random Kingston adapter and it also works using the adapter provided by native instruments.

I hope this thread helps someone in the future with the same problem.

P.S. By the way, I also copied the whole content (including expansions) from the 64GB SD card provided by Native Instruments to the new 256GB Samsung SD Card and to my pleasant surprise, everything in the new card seems to be working, which means I don't need to download again all the expansions.

Thanks

• ozon
    Options

Thank you very much for reporting your solution.

@Jeremy_NI @Kaiwan_NI maybe this should be verified by NI and included in the support knowledge base articles about SD Cards for the M+.

• HugoClubs
    Options

Thanks! Will do, because I am getting more and more headaches. Music creation shouldn't be about all of this sh't, but rather about having fun.

I can't even connect my maschine+ as storage mode to my M1 Mac. I always have to eject the SD card.

And some other technical stuff I won't even mention cause I am still trying to figure out.

It honestly sucks

• Jiglo
    Jiglo Member Posts: 154 Advisor
    edited November 2023
    Options

I'm using (possibly) the same adapter that shipped with my Samsung 512gb micro sd card. No issues so far, although does take longer to load the content than my previous card, an Integra Ultima Pro with smaller 256gb card, which I think has the same read speed. I think i'm going to time the loading up time with both card readers after reading this.

One possible issue though, at least from reading comments on Amazon, is that some vendors might be selling fake cards. That would complicate things if it's true.

• D-One
    edited November 2023
    Options

Tons of people sell fake cards.

Try to buy from reputable stores and reputable brands, I test the card on my computer USB3 reader to make it's close to the theoretical max speeds it says on the card, if it does not I'd return it, ask for my $ and leave a nasty review. 😅

• Jiglo
    edited November 2023
    Options

Wow, i've just tested the samsung card in both of the readers and what a difference...

Samsung 512gb card in Samsung reader it shipped with: over 11 minutes of spinning wheel before I lost interest and switched it off to test the other card.

Samsung 512gb card in Integra Pro card reader: less than 45 seconds before the spinning wheel stopped.

Because i've never needed the wheel to stop spinning to start, or continue working on projects, I just hadn't noticed before, but there's definitely a problem with the card reader. I bought the Samsung card from a respected computer/music equipment dealer, so should have been genuine, so I suspect it's a genuine card.

I have left a review on the dealers website too (Scan in the UK).

• Jiglo
    edited November 2023
    Options

Did a bit more testing...

256gb Integra Ultima Pro micro sd in the Samsung reader 1:09

256gb Integra Ultima Pro micro sd in Integra reader 1:09

Samsung 512gb micro sd card in it's own reader (again) 2:26

Samsung 512gb micro sd card in Intergra reader (again) 43 seconds

..........Samsung micro sd card in the Integra card reader wins again then

Just looked through my order history and the Integra is supposed to be 180 read and 130 write, so should be a faster card.

The Samsung is just 130 read and has an undisclosed write speed, but reads faster than the Integra in the Integra's reader in the M+. Mixing and matching for the best results.

• HugoClubs
    Options

Yep, I did run the speed test and doesn't match the description of the product I bought (130 mb/s of speed).

Will definitely ask for a refund.

Thank you all for your time and help friends 🤝

• D-One
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Keep in mind the advertised speed is "up to xxx" it does not guarantee that speed, so in that case the card could very well be legit.

I also have another card that advertises 170 MB/s and it does not reach that speed, it caps at 80/90 just like the other one I showed, all cards I tried to cap a that, the theoretical limit of UHS-1 is around 100MB so it adds up.

So, AFAIK there's no point in buying anything faster than 100MB/s, especially since Maschine itself caps at 60MB/s (USB2), trickery to go above is probably only for video cameras or using UHS-2 readers, idk

• HugoClubs
    Options

In this case they forgot to add the "up to" 😅

(can't post links)

Usually there is a " * " signalling to read the fine print where we find the "up to" disclaimer but not in this case.

I searched online how to physically spot a fake card and it looks legit in that regard.

Either way, the important thing here is that Maschine is capped at 60mb/s. I didn't know that, so thanks for pointing it out. 👍️

• HugoClubs
    Options

To further develop on this, to have access to the Maschine storage mode on Mac, I need to manually mount the SD card.

I then get an error stating that the card could not be mounted, but it works and acts like it's mounted and I can easily copy/paste stuff in and out.

Not sure if this is a Mac issue, or Maschine+ issue, but this doesn't happen when I insert the SD card directly on the Mac

• eldeedubya
    eldeedubya Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Hi All, jusr purchased this based on NI forum responses in other threads.

SanDisk 1TB Extreme microSDXC card + SD adapter + RescuePRO Deluxe, up to 190MB/s, with A2 App Performance, UHS-I, Class 10, U3, V30

Fails to format on maschine plus.

Formats in laptop, tried many adapters in maschine plus no joy.

Is it the A2ness of the card thats the issue?

All i want is a single SD Card that will hold all the expansions., why the hell can't expansions live on my external SSD? or can they?

So frustrated. dont want to have to waste more cash on another sdc ard for it to not work and not be returnable.

• D-One
    edited January 23
    Options

If i had to take a guess the issue is probably the adapter... I'd get a full size Sandisk Extreme Pro in your shoes.

Meanwhile try to format it on the laptop using different file formats to see if it helps the M+ recognize it, FAT, EXFAT, NTFS, etc..