Native Access - Q4 Update

Options

Comments

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,098 Guru
    edited October 2023
    Options

Ah - yes. My bad. Missed the "on a drive" part.

And while I do understand the concern - especially where the Internet connections are compromised - that is really not on NI to sort out. A slow connection affects every vendor out there when it comes to selling large files.

Fairly certain that this change was precipitated by the fact that no modern laptop or even workstation has a disc drive any longer and shipping HDDs around the world have their own unique challenges - like who is on the hook if your drive gets lost in the mail? Or fails when it gets there and so on and so forth. Not to mention the cost of purchasing/prepping/loading blank drives etc.

Agree - it's a tough one to figure out but I suspect this service did not get used enough to justify keeping it around. It is what it is.

VP

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 393 Pro
    Options

Vocalpoint

And while I do understand the concern - especially where the Internet connections are compromised - that is really not on NI to sort out.

And is probably one of the major reasons why Komplete was issued on a hard drive in the first place. It may be that it was seen in light of more recently given 'changes' as an unnecessary expense financially, and that the expense to ease of use for users was a cost they would just have to bear.

• Vocalpoint
    edited October 2023
    Options

Well - to be fair - I do not think I have ever seen any other vendor (other than Spectrasonics) offer this type of service. And I have a LOT of instruments with gigantic file sets - like Toontrack etc.

I do remember the old days fondly (circa 2004-ish) when it took 8 hrs to download my Atmosphere disk parts or Superior Drummer v1 parts hoping that the line would hold up until it finally all downloaded.

I could see the challenges for file size in 2008 or 2012 or maybe even 2015 - but today - the expectation is - buy it (and make sure you have an Internet connection that has the backbone to handle the downloads) or don't buy it.

Both valid choices.

VP

• zenluiz
    zenluiz Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Someone mentioned that he prefers having separate major versions of products, like Kontakt and Kontakt 7, Reaktor 5 and Reaktor 7. I see the reasoning, as I’m a software developer as well.

However this brings a big headache when it comes to opening older projects containing an older version of a plugin which is no longer maintained nor is compatible for any reason with the operating system, for instance. In that scenario, I’d much prefer the DAW to open my older project using whatever latest version of that plugin is available so that I can save with the newer version already.

Either that or provide a quick and easy way to copy the state of a plugin and paste to another, newer instance. Some plugin companies like TDR, Waves and Overloud offer “Copy state”/“Paste state” options in their plugins and it makes it muuuuch easier to migrate from a version to another, specially if one wants to perform this in several projects.

@Hayo_NI would it be something that the team could think of?

Thanks for bringing these details to the community btw ;)

• Vocalpoint
    Options

@zenluiz

"However this brings a big headache when it comes to opening older projects containing an older version of a plugin which is no longer maintained nor is compatible for any reason with the operating system, for instance. In that scenario, I’d much prefer the DAW to open my older project using whatever latest version of that plugin is available so that I can save with the newer version already."

This comes down to each individual DAW vendor to handle. Not NI. For example - Cubase and Nuendo already do this behind the scenes. I think Logic does as well.

I use Studio One here - and it is completely clueless in this regard. It has no knowledge that a user may want to upgrade a version of Kontakt found in an old project with the current version that is now installed.

It simply opens the old project and then sticks a huge warning "Missing!" window in front of me telling me that a specific (old) plugin cannot be loaded. It has no knowledge of any newer versions of this plugin now installed that I might want to swap it in - and makes no attempt to ask me either.

It simply errors out and then I have to solve this issue myself - of course with zero knowledge of what library was loaded (or ANY of its settings) within the old project. About as useless as it gets.

VP

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,311 Expert
    Options

(disclaimer for other readers: we are joking on this thing)

Oooh…here we are back to normality…the good old Vocalpoint more concerned about things affecting vendors than things affecting buyers…I was almost worried ☺️. Welcome back

• Hayo_NI
    Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 285 mod
    Options

I should've been more clear. iZotope's Elements Suite will automatically be fulfilled in your account as part of your Kontrol S-Series MK3 purchase. A separate purchase of the suite still needs Product Portal at this time.

• Hayo_NI
    Options

Slim content tech is in reference to the underlying installers. We're moving to DCP installers as opposed to our current tech so that we have leaner access to our products and so that you don't need twice as much of disk space. I'll go more in detail down the line once this tech becomes more prominent.

• ewdavies
    ewdavies Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Thanks for listening to and considering our comments, Hayo. It is very much appreciated.

My #1 priority for Native Access is a fix for the bug where, every time it's launched, it says it needs to install resources, prompts you for your system password, and then churns away for a minute or two doing something (or maybe nothing?).

It's a real annoyance, and a big disincentive from ever launching Native Access to check for updates, etc.

Thanks!

• Hayo_NI
    Options

Hey ewdavies! Appreciate your message!

So the reason this is happening all the time is because the NTK Daemon is not running, and we overreact by reinstalling it. This was a solution to a previously resolved bug where phantom daemons would be running that would cause us to be unable to ship updates at all, and while we know it was a downgrade in terms of ux, it did resolve the bug. We have this logged already, just needs prioritization from my end. I'll see what I can do here to elevate it a bit more.

Hope this provides a bit of insight as to what's going on! Apologies for the inconvenience!

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,327 mod
    Options

Must be another MAC thing I guess.

For me then Native Access have run really nice for a period of updates , and even generally then I luckily don't have a lot of problems with my Native Instruments software other than the odd KK/Kontakt crashes as described over here. But maybe that is just a tell that I just do not use my Native Instruments stuff enough ! 🤣 😎 Dunno 🙂

• Tomboman
    Tomboman Member Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, Hayo didn't post the link for the support article which helped me with this behavior - I couldn't find it right away, but there is one! I had the same problem, needed to delete a few files and install again, since then I don't need to insert my password everytime anymore

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 418 Guru
    Options

@Hayo_NI That CyberSeason add is a little intrusive (app). I totally get why you're doing it - but it feels like it's filling available space, rather than drawing attentionn to offers.

Mocked up version of something which may work better, as it would conform more with IAB standards, and what users might expect to see. Obviously, I don't have the assets, but I'd make that full-width, centered for when users expand the app, much like you've done with the skyscraper, so it's always showing the key part of the ad.

Just my two cents - feels like it's placed there in the absence if a wider store mechanic.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,465 Expert
    Options

I like that it's currently filling unused space.

Your idea would take space away from programs I want to access. Making the scrollable space for the apps smaller.

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 418 Guru
    Options

I don't dissagree with that - but there's currently two links to the store on the left, taking you to two different webpages - which isn't great from a usability or a design standpoint.

What Native Access needs (in my opinion) is a store page that mirrors the website.

This discussion has been closed.