Shifting libraries to larger SSD

Options
sculley222
sculley222 Member Posts: 7 Newcomer

Hi! I have all of my libraries, including Komplete Ultimate 10, on an external 2TB SSD. I'm starting to run out of room and would like to move them to a 4TB SSD.

I would REALLY like to do this without having to reinstall everything, and was wondering what's the best way to do this?

My ideal would be to clone the 2TB drive to the new 4TB drive, using Macrium Reflect (great drive cloning tool), assign the same drive letter to the new drive as the old drive, and hook up the new 4TB drive (hoping and praying that the libraries will be recognized). Is this possible?

(One of the reasons I'd like to do this is to upgrade to Komplete Ultimate 14... I am pretty certain I won't room on the old drive for the new libraries that come with that.)

Sorry if this has been addressed before, I couldn't seem to find exactly this situation.

Many thanks for any help :)

Best Answer

• TheAvocadoInGuac
    TheAvocadoInGuac Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

It should not matter at all. I've done the "Locate" using Native Access with Internal->Internal, Internal->External, and External->External on W10 and W11 and it worked fine every time.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,293 Expert
    Options

If they are only libraries, you can just copy them in the new SSD and then in Native Access use Locate all to point it to the folder in the new SSD where they all are

• sculley222
    Options

Thanks! Uh, in rereading my original post, I realize that I misstated that it was an external drive. It’s actually the secondary internal SSD.

does that change the picture? I’m thinking not, as the system files (Win10) are on another internal SSD (the primary one)...

• TheAvocadoInGuac
    TheAvocadoInGuac Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited June 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

It should not matter at all. I've done the "Locate" using Native Access with Internal->Internal, Internal->External, and External->External on W10 and W11 and it worked fine every time.

• sculley222
    Options

Thanks so much.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,749 mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

Easier way is to give the new hard drive the same name as your old. Then there is no need for search and locate.

OK just read the other post saying it's a second internal - in that case don't. This would only work with external drives

• sculley222
    Options

I decided to just make an exact clone of the original, and give it exactly the same drive number and name, and swap out the drives. hopefully it will just get picked up automatically, the same as the old without my having to re-point anything.

will do later today.

appreciate the help.

• Kymeia
    Options

Yes that should work if you are swapping drives, I thought you meant you were moving stuff from your main to an internal secondary drive, I would not give 2 internal drives the same name (not sure you even can actually)

• sculley222
    Options

Yes, my setup is I have 2 internal drives:

• a M2 SSD on which my OS and apps are installed
    • a 2TB SATA SSD that is purely devoted to libraries. This is the one that is running out of room and that I wanted to swap out with a higher capacity drive. I was proposing to clone this one and replace it with a cloned 4TB that I would give the same drive letter and drive name

Hope that clarifies, thanks again.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,293 Expert
    Options

Out of curiosity: can you even give a new driver the same identifying letter (E:, G:,…)?

• sculley222
    Options

Believe you should be able to rename it after the fact via the Disk Management utility.

i.e. to start with the drive will have a different letter (when you cloned it). Once it’s installed internally, you should be able to rename it, as it’s a secondary drive.

• Kymeia
    edited June 2023
    Options

Not sure - drive letters are a Windows thing - I guess not while both drives are 'mounted' but if you transfer stuff the do the rename then it should work

• sculley222
    Options

Update. Just carried out the operation and it worked 🙂