Can I store NI libraries in multiple locations?

shirleytemple22
shirleytemple22 Member Posts: 13 Newcomer
edited June 2023 in Komplete General

Hi all. I'm about at the limit of storage on my machine. I would like to store additional libraries on an external hard drive, but I don't want to move ALL of the libraries off the machine (as it's a pain to need the external hard drive everywhere, I would rather just use it for libraries I do not frequently use).

Is this possible?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,374 Expert
    Answer ✓

Of course. If you already installed them, you can move them in the external drive and then in Native Access relocate them. If you still have to install them, in Native Access settings you can specify the new installation path for the new installations.

Have a look also at this thread with a good suggestion from Rich_NI to locate the moved library without having to do them one by one:

• shirleytemple22

Awesome, thank you! One other question--I'm sure it's addressed somewhere--any particular recommendations for the spec of an external drive, such as read speed?

• LostInFoundation
    edited June 2023

The faster, the better. But all will work (with differences in loading time)

In any case SSD is preferred to HDD. Faster, more reliable, no physical disc spinning, even smaller…but also more expensive 🤪

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,872 Expert

SSD will always be the better option, however you need to know what kind of port your PC/Mac has and when using an external SSD, be sure to purchase one that has the correct interface (USB2/USB3 etc) which these days most will be thunderbolt/USB-C/USB3 but some budget drives or old stock may have SSDs with older USB2 controllers which will impact the drive speed. Also, make sure you know what your USB ports are on your system too.

In terms of which SSD to get, really doesn't matter if it is for library storage and reading/loading content, the read speed is what will be important and if not being written too much (like an OS drive) then even a cheap drive would be fine tho I tend to stick to brand name drives like Samsung, Sandisk, Kensington, Crucial...

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 219 Pro

What's a good sized fast SD card for the Maschine+ is 256GB enough for all the expansions and contents?

• LostInFoundation
    edited June 2023

It depends on how many samples, audio files,… you will put on it. And how many expansions you own. For some 256Gb is more than sufficient, for others even 1Tb go filled very fast ☺️

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,872 Expert

Info on the type of SD card to be used can be found here:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014062918-Notes-on-SD-Cards-for-MASCHINE-

Only really is this the info you need to be concerned with:

The SD card included in MASCHINE+ has the following specifications:

UHS-I, U3, Native I. Class 10, V30. A1.

Stick to a decent SD card brand (like SanDisk or Crucial etc) and choose whatever size your budget allows for, Maschine has no SD card limitations.

• shirleytemple22

Thanks for your help, everyone! I bought a Samsung T7 500GB SSD. Reasonably inexpensive, doesn't run too hot, plenty of room, and no latency. Everything I was looking for.