Midi from an iPad to Maschine+ with only a usb cable (tested and working)

Options
LostInFoundation
LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,306 Expert
edited April 2023 in Maschine

I just made a huuuuuuuuge discover (at least for me) thanks to an iPad developer. Maybe you all guys already know it, but I’ll post it anyway if someone hasn’t tried it yet.

It is possible to plug an iPad to a Maschine+ with a single usb cable and send midi from iPad midi apps (sequencers, chord generators, keyboards and so on and so fort) to Maschine+. Therefore there is no need of something like the iConnect Audio4+ (at least for midi). Someone wants to buy mine? (Joking 😂)

The only secret is that the cable must be an usb C to usb B (C for the iPad, B for the Maschine). If you plug the iPad into the usb A ports of the Maschine+, it won’t work.

If someone needs assistance to setting this up, feel free to ask 😉

Tagged:

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    Options

What does this mean?

As an example…. Scaler 2 (free on iPad, with eventually a 19 bucks IAP for the complete set of functionalities) on a separated touch screen controlling Maschine+ instruments!!!

This isn’t possible even with Maschine software on a windows desktop!

Huuuuuuuuge!!!!

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Btw: if you have an older iPad model with lightning connector, don’t be desperate: this is working too.

USB B to USB A cable and cck to transform A to lightning 😉

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro
    edited April 2023
    Options

Great tips!

I tried the cable thing too but I love the Bluetooth MIDI standard on iPad, which I use wirelessly for a few peripherals Seaboard, Lumi, Blocks, etc ) so I didn't want to go back to wires if I didn't have to.

Then I recently picked up a couple of cheap ($40) Bluetooth MIDI adapters that come with both USB dongles and double-headed 5-pin MIDI ones) and to my pleasant surprise they work great with both M+ (plugged into a USB-B and my PC connected to my KK S49.

So now I've got wireless MIDI between both of those and my iPad which has built-in Bluetooth MIDI. And there is no latency to speak of because MIDI data is very low bandwidth unlike audio. Loving it! 🥳

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

Yes, this is a good solution too, but it comes at a cost, having to buy the adapters.

But you already know the sad thing (since you commented on the thread): Maschine+ has already a BT card built inside, but differently from MPC Live 2 or Force, NI decided not to activate it…

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/9628/bluetooth-on-maschine-plus

• Peter Harris
    Options

Actually Akai hasn't implemented Bluetooth MIDI internally either. Though this option would likely work for either platform.

Now that I've seen how nicely it works, I'm stunned it isn't used more broadly. Though considering neither company makes Bluetooth MIDI gear, maybe not surprising. Apple has been alone among the majors with it.

• Jean Voyage
    Jean Voyage Member Posts: 36 Helper
    Options

How do wireless Bluetooth controllers (eg Korg) work on the MPC Live? Because they do…

• Peter Harris
    Options

No idea. Didn't know they did for sure. But unlike the MPC One, the Live has standard Bluetooth so that kinda makes sense.

Apropos of nothing, MPC One's lack of wifi always annoyed me but I gather they wanted to differentiate it from the more "premium" versions. Wouldn't surprise me if Akai did something similar to NI and included the components for wifi but not enable it. 🤯

Ahh, to be flies on the wall at our favorite hardware companies...

• LostInFoundation
    edited April 2023
    Options

I wrote Live2 and Force have it cause I use it every time in both of them. And exactly in the way we were talking about: ipad midi apps sending to them.

So, I can confirm: they DO have BT midi (probably MPC One doesn’t cause it’s cheaper). Akai DO make Bluetooth midi gear. NI too (as we said, the BT card is already in the Maschine+) but then…locks it for users…

• Impermanence
    Impermanence Member Posts: 130 Advisor
    edited April 2023
    Options

All I’m saying is that if you connect M+ to a laptop you have working Mk3.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

Well…this is well known. But…if you don’t use it also standalone, paying double the price to have the same functionalities is quite absurd.

Can you elaborate about the pertinence with what we were discussing? I don’t understand

• MDM43
    MDM43 Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

It's better that it can act like an MK3 then can't. Though the + was created for a certain market. Ipads got many nice apps and sounds very good. It would be better if NI got things working (and hopefully they manage it) but if you like exploring ideas, there's lots to try

• The Dad Department
    The Dad Department Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

This is incredible! I had been struggling to connect my iPad with AudioKit Synth One to my maschine + and was having no luck. It’s an older iPad with a lightning connector and I bought one of those camera dongles with a USB A port and could never get it to work by plugging into the standard usb A ports.

Saw this post, grabbed one of my million A to B usb cables and BOOM!! I’m using maschine+ pads to play Synth One (I’m running audio from both maschine and iPad to a multitrack recorder).

Now my Maschine + is controlling a Korg Minilogue XD, Dennon B1 bass synth and my iPad synth. Plus there are all the great instruments in Maschine, too. I couldn’t be happier!

thank you for posting this! I’m sure a lot of people want to know how to connect Maschine plus to older iOS devices via USB. Hopefully they will find this post!!

• LostInFoundation
    edited December 2023
    Options

You’re very welcome.

Since older iPad models still have the headphones jack, you could also plug your iPad in M+ audio in and record the sound produced even there 😉

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,357 Expert
    Options

What?! (from a USB technical POV this doesn’t make any sense at all since you are connecting two host (computers) and the M+ would be acting as a client and host at the same time)

How does the iPad appear on the M+? How do you route the MIDI events inside the M+ to trigger the proper Sounds?

@D-One have you seen this?

• LostInFoundation
    Options

It would be the opposite: plugging the iPad into USB A ports of Maschine would make M+ act “as a computer”. You use the B port when you want the M+ to be a controller.

In any case I find it strange too when I tried and it was working, that’s why I called it a discover