The future of Guitar Rig.....

Comments

• Wouter De Muynck
    Wouter De Muynck Member Posts: 217 Pro

@Sssswordfish Definitely take the time to look into GR6, it is a fantastic piece of software and the purpose of this post is to get some insights in what the future will bring and use this platform where it's build for: interaction/insights/discussions. I don't have an alternative in mind as I'm not interested in an alternative, I prefer to keep using GR6 as part of the NI eco-system, but we need to know where it's going in the long run.

• BobF3
    BobF3 Member Posts: 11 Member

My perspective on both GR and AT:

I've had both for many years. I've never been able to migrate to just one of them. They each have strengths and weaknesses, although they've both gone backwards in their UI with their latest releases. It seems that developers think phone users have top priority ;)

GR and AT aren't the only ones I use. I also have Presonus Ampire and Waves GTR + PRS. While GR6 gets the most use, they all find their uses from time to time.

• Wouter De Muynck

We're not the only ones waiting for some clear answers, today I came across simular posts/discussions on the Maschine forum:

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/7240/maschine-roadmap/p1

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/10032/very-serious-question-about-ni-transparency/p2

I added a comment on the first topic, but that needs to be approved, not sure that will happen based on the negativity it contains 🤔

• malhotga
    malhotga Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I have also been using Guitar Rig since v1. I have used 4 and 5 live for many years now. I am working to use GR6 live but can't understand how to create banks and assign program changes which was super easy in GR5. I spent the past 3 hours on this and finally came upon this thread. Is there a way to create a bank of presets, assign them program change numbers, and then use them live? or do i have to create a label/tag and then increment up and down?

• Wouter De Muynck

@malhotga , What I would recommend is to look into the Container-component You can combine various effects in one effect-combobox which you can toggle on/off via one program or midi change command. When you combine this with a 150% view of GR6 and you collapse the effects, it might be an alternative. Apart from that I hope the live view returns, not a single GR6 users understand why this feature and the looper were removed and still didn't find their way back in GR6, but I'm tired of asking.

• Wouter De Muynck

Hello @Kaiwan_NI , this post is 2 months old now, any news/feedback/hope/...

• PaulCan
    PaulCan Member Posts: 5 Member

I must reluctantly join the gripes that while GR5 with Rig Kontrol was pretty much everything I wanted from a live rig and everything I wanted from a loop station, GR6 is pretty much nothing I want from either (seeing as Loop Machine shows no signs of returning in GR6). I bought GR6 3 years ago expecting it to eventually surpass the sound quality of GR5 while matching the flexibility of GR5s workflow (for me at least), but the lack of comparable functionality & quirkiness of GR6 (it doesn't even list my RigKontrol 3 midi ports) has left me feeling abandoned, a feeling that is now mutual.

• Wouter De Muynck

@PaulCan I was hoping to get some answers via the post, but until now all we can do is wait or start looking for alternative solutions from other software manufacturers. I still hope they take our feedback into account and keep GR relevant within the NI ecosystem, time will tell… Lots of users asked for an explanation why Live View and the looper weren’t transferred to GR6, it remains unclear until now, but it is pretty clear that it wasn’t a smart decision.

• Wouter De Muynck

@Kaiwan_NI , any rays of light in the dark Guitar Rig tunnel? Do you have an idea/glimps of hope if the missing GR5 features are on the GR6 ToDo list? Can you maybe check internally why LiveView and the looper were removed? There has to be a reason for this, no? Thanks, Wouter

• Guitinker
    Guitinker Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I’ve used an old clunky ART x-15 Ultra-foot live with Guitar Rig 5 for years but GR6 evidently has buried or deleted that capability, which is unbelievable. GR6 sounds great, but it’s useless to me without basic MIDI compatibility.

• Wouter De Muynck

@Guitinker I'm using an Airstep MIDI controller and this works very will in combination with GR6. Just select the MIDI device in the Preferences menu and use MIDI learn to assign buttons or switches. Keep in mind that GR6 isn't capable of sending MIDI states to the controller, that could be fixed when MIDI 2.0 was included (as it covers bi-directional communication). As NI will never produce their own GR-hardware anymore I assume MIDI compatibility will be extended in future version (I hope 😌)

• Wouter De Muynck

A new ICM amp in GR 6.4, nice to see this happen, but again they are not reading what's being requested on this forum... (for over 2 years now)

• Silica Gel
    Silica Gel Member Posts: 1 Member

"..and the looper were removed...": I think the Pre and Post Tape Deck features are supposed to take the place of a looper component, but that's just my barely-educated guess.

Anyhow, I just got a Nektar Pacer foot controller (very nearly 100% of what I want in a MIDI foot controller!) and have been finding the task of programming it and Guitar Rig 6 to play nice together for live performance to be more than a little frustrating. Reading this thread alone almost has me convinced to go back to GR5; the ability to map presets to specific MIDI Program Change values seems like a critical feature for live performance, and pairs very nicely with the Pacer's ability to send MIDI messages when switching Pacer presets.

Further frustrating is the apparent lack of any shred of MIDI feedback (output) from GR6. The Pacer in particular can be configured to have its LEDs respond to MIDI messages, but GR6 doesn't let me take advantage of that. In particular, the Metronome doesn't generate MIDI events, so while it's trivial to have a Pacer pedal activate the Tap Tempo function, I can't make the Pacer flash an LED in time with the Metronome.

It's disheartening to see such little engagement from NI on this thread. I really want to like NI, but so much of their stuff is just...not quite there. I bought an S88 a few years back, and...well, that's another story for another day.

• Wouter De Muynck

@Silica Gel , pre/post tape decks are far from a workaround/solution and these options were already there in GR5. The looper was removed and nobody at NI seems to remember why this decision was made, trust me... the question had been raised multiple times.

GR6 isn't sending MIDI settings to MIDI controllers, back in the days when RigKontrol 3 was available, this type of interaction was working smoothly. I'm using an Airstep controller, but turned of the toggle LED's because they don't sync with GR6. I reached out to Xsonic how this could be fixed, but they refer to NI for a solution. MIDI 2.0 would also be a possible solution, but don't expect anything to happen soon, we have been asking for an update/roadmap and the return of the looper/LiveView for a very long time now, sound of silence is the NI way to go unfortunately... I've been an NI user for 20+ years, the last few years NI is going downhill, I'm still hoping for better times to come, but I'm afraid it's a dead end.